1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2002 ac system

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by lance555, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Feb 2, 2011 at 1:45 PM
    lance555

lance555 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Maui, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2011 tacoma 4x4 trd offroad
    hey everybody
    my ac compressor locked up so i decided to change my ac system...compressor, evap, lines, etc...worked for a few months then locked up again...ordered a new compressor only and when i assembled all the parts i noticed that there wasn't a snap ring...i called toyota dealership and they said they're not gonna warranty the first one because the snap ring was prolly why the first one locked up again...i told them i ordered everything and its not my fault because i couldn't take off the clutch from the first one to see if it needed that...so anyway i have to pay for two remanned compressors...is there anyway i could get them to warranty the first one?

2. Feb 2, 2011 at 4:41 PM
    EnolaGaia

EnolaGaia Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest USA
    Vehicle:
    '01 & '04 S-Runners
    01 SR: Double Cab conversion, S/C, lowered.
    Was there a snap ring on the first / original compressor that died?

Were both the replacement compressors remanufactured?

Go to toyotapartszone.com, enter your trucks year (etc.), and pull up the parts illustrations for the AC compressor components.

I assume the snap ring you're referring to is the "COMPRESSOR SEAL PLATE SNAP RING", PNC # 88360A.

This ring is a separate component and not part of the compressor assembly per se. Because of this, I don't think you have a case based on having ordered a compressor and not obtaining or re-using the snap ring for its installation.

If I had to bet money on the outcome, I'd say that's the eventual bottom line.

However ...

Check the illustration for "GASKET KIT, OVERHAUL" - PNC #88335. It looks to me as if the snap ring might be a component within the overhaul kit. (I'm not 100% sure.)

If the remanufacturing is supposed to include a new overhaul kit, and the snap ring is indeed part of the overhaul kit used, you might argue the remanufacturer failed to install or include all the prescribed overhaul components.

I'm not saying this is likely to work, but it might be worth a shot if you want to 'stretch'. I don't see how this line of argument could work unless you could demonstrate the reman'd compressor was supposed to have the equivalent of Toyota's overhaul kit installed.

That's the only possible angle I see ... Not trying to get your hopes up, though ...

Products Discussed in

To Top