1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2003 Shifter Vibration 5th gear Manual Transmission

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by gerardo1a, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Jun 15, 2011 at 7:22 PM
    gerardo1a

gerardo1a [OP] Member

Member:
    I took out the automatic transmission from my 2004 PreRunner and installed a 2003 R150F transmission (w/ transfer case and proper parts needed). During 5th gear my shifter starts to shake (has different degrees of shaking). If I get out of 5th and back into 5th the problem sometimes goes away (shifter feels smooth). When the shifter is vibrating on 5th, I downshift to 4th and go faster than I was on 5th and get no vibration. Shifter vibrates only on 5th gear no matter speed or RPM. I have replaced the center/carrier bearing and nothing. I kept the x-member from my prerunner because I read that can be used for 4X4. I have the correct transmission mount on the R150F. I replaced the mount that it came with because I noticed it was dented. I have no front driveshaft at the moment. I am just using RWD. Three "tranny experts" have said nothing wrong with transmission, it is something behind it. I have been at this for 3 weeks. I had them rebuild tranny and still vibration on 5th. Nothing has been done to the transfer case. I am waiting on the x-member that came with the R150F tranny to see if there is a difference. I also noticed that the carrier/center bearing cannot move to get the drive shafts lined up "by eye". My dad and brother have been helping and were are running out of options. I would like to compare with a 4wd manual J-style transfer shift, bit I don't know anyone with one in the San Antonio area. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Products Discussed in

To Top