1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2003 Tacoma Frame Question (Of course:)

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Scorpion1110, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Jan 19, 2019 at 5:51 PM
    Scorpion1110

Scorpion1110 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma 4WD 5Spd SB
    Aftermarket Stereo
    Did my search and didnt see a thread that addressed this specifically-

I have a first gen Tacoma that I have already fallen in love with. At some point I could see re-framing it as the frame underneath is crusty. Currently solid but just crusty. I will hit it with POR15, chassis black topcoat and then Eastwood's stonechip which is absolutely bullet-proof.

Still I will likely buy a frame, powder coat it and rebody. I have a lift in my shop and have had vehicles off their frame before.

So my question- will a 4runner frame work on a standard cab SWB 4cylinder? If so, what wouldthe year range be? If not who makes the best replacement? I suspect the dealers can get them but .... dealers are dealers and usually pretty darn pricey.

So thought I would ask so I can begin the search and acquire what I need to eventually do the truck.

Thanks in advance,

Scorp

2. Jan 20, 2019 at 9:21 AM
    Brokebrute

Brokebrute Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma TRD
    Grey wire mod and 2 low mod
    The rear suspension is different and the 4runner frames have the same rust issues as the Tacoma.

3. Jan 21, 2019 at 1:08 AM
    Wyoming09

Wyoming09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Tripoli Pa
    Vehicle:
    2000 Work truck 5 speed 4x4 3.4
    Super Springs
    It can be make to work.if you can fabricate easy way is use the 4runner front section and build a new rear frame section and splice them.

Find a Tacoma frame from the Southwest USA although getting it to the East Coast could get expensive

no matter it is lots of grunt work.

Since the 4Runners are built in Japan they never had the Dana Frames just the normal damage of liquid brine and salt after a few winters .

Last I checked Toyota was not selling any New Frames till all the warranty claims are finished if then .

Frames for 15 plus year old trucks doubtful but who knows

4. Jan 21, 2019 at 3:35 PM
    Scorpion1110

Scorpion1110 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma 4WD 5Spd SB
    Aftermarket Stereo
    Thanks- learning as quickly as possible.

Immediate future will be to spray inside of rails with a rust converter. Eastwood makes a kit and I know people who have used it. Wand inside of frame- three cans of the stuff.

Exterior will get a coating of POR15.I have used it for years and I have found it to be bulletproof. Metal has to be right though. It can be surface rusty but not surface crusty. If you clean it, then you need to hit it with their metal prep. Second step is a top coat because POR15 hates any UV light. It breaks POR15 down. After the top coat you hit the frame with Eastwood undercoating which is a very tough stone chip.

That will stabilize the corrosion until I source a frame. Shipping from the west coast isnt that bad-either Uship or relay will get it here.

As I begin to figure out this truck I will probably create a build thread. It might help someone.

Scorp

5. Jan 21, 2019 at 5:31 PM
    BartMaster1234

BartMaster1234 American Auto Horns

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    San Francisco, California
    Vehicle:
    1998 PreRunner 4x4 2.7l Supercharged
    Flux Capacitor
    The 4Runner is a completely different vehicle than the Tacoma. The Tacoma uses Leaf Springs in the rear, while the 4Runner is on coils. They are very different frames.

You’ll need to use a 1998-2004 PreRunner/4x4 single cab frame. 1995-1997 had different leaf spring perches on the frame. Double Cab or Extended cab frames will have different cab mounts.

You must also get a frame with the same engine. The 2RZ/3RZ mounts differently than the 5VZ.

Also check out a dealer if your frame qualifies for the warranty replacement campaign. You have a 2004 so you have only a few months left within the 15 year in-service date.

Products Discussed in

To Top