1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2003 Tacoma Keyless Entry Programing

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Yamasaki, May 14, 2010.

1. May 14, 2010 at 7:26 PM
    Yamasaki

Yamasaki [OP] Yamaha + Kawasaki!

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma Limited TRD 4x4
    I bought my 03 Tacoma with just the spare key. Its the Limited model and I know that it has keyless entry. I ended up purchasing this remote on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280502467508&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT#ht_500wt_1182

On the backside of the remote it has FCC ID: ELVATDD

I ran it though the instructions on this site as to how to program. Open door, turn key, etc...
    http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89749

Well I get to the last step and the truck locks and unlocks several times while beeping but I cannot get the remote to work.

Am I missing a step which tells you how to program a new remote to work with a particular vehicle? And is code ELVATDD correct for our Tacoma's?

I did search but it did not provide me with much help.

Thank you

2. May 14, 2010 at 7:47 PM
    Yamasaki

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    Ok, I found another guide:

http://www.customtacos.com/tech/files/tsb/TVIP-RS3200-Programming.pdf

Ran through the steps to clear codes and program remote along with the procedure to just program new remote. The truck beeps but the remote does not work. (lights up, but does not work w/ truck).

Pretty sure this is the wrong remote

Can someone tell me the FCC ID on the back of your remote for your 01-04 Tacoma?
    How do you tell if you have the factory installed or dealer installed alarm?

Im thinking maybe I need the one that says ELVAT1B.

Thanks.

3. May 15, 2010 at 6:26 AM
    RAT PRODUCTS

RAT PRODUCTS RAT Products

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    01 CUMTOY and 16 Sierra Denali
    View the build. Too much to list.
    That's for a tundra. I bet it's getting screwed up with the power window feature on there. Doubt it will work. You could always take it to the dealer and ask, but they will charge a pretty penny.

4. May 15, 2010 at 9:55 AM
    Yamasaki

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    So the remote for the Tacoma only has the lock/unlock feature and not the window feature?

5. May 15, 2010 at 11:24 AM
    blitz10

blitz10 Active Member

Member:
    FCC ID BAB237131-56
    Several on e-bay. Bought 2 for my 2004 DC which only came with a key. Took about 2 minutes apiece to program with supplied instructions. Very easy and no problems.

Added that you do need to know whether it was factory or port installed. Almost all were port installed as mine was. Yours being a limited, I don't know, possibly factory installed? I was told there is a difference in the remote depending on the installation. I know it confuses the matter, I had the window sticker which helped me decide to go with the BAB237131-56. If I was betting, you probably have the same.

6. May 15, 2010 at 1:13 PM
    Yamasaki

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    Well, I'm pretty sure that I do not have the KARR dealer installed alarm. There is no aftermarket red light drilled into my dash anywhere. I also do not see any factory alarm light (My '97 4Runner had a little light to the left that blinked red and had security written underneath it).

So at this point I am pretty sure it is just the standard keyless entry system. Here are the alarm remote FCC codes I am trying.

ELVATDD : Does not work
    ELVAT1B : On order - Ebay (we shall see)
    BAB237131-56: On order (thanks Blitz10)

The places I ordered from have exchange policies so I will figure out which one works and then exchange the other two and sell the third on eBay.

BTW I called the dealer and gave them the VIN, see if they could help me out by telling me which alarm the truck had. They told me that all they could see was wether or not it had a factory installed alarm. Dealer options dont show up on VIN details (makes sense).

Dealer said that my VIN comes back to factory keyless entry only, but he also says he has seen a VIN sheet show factory keyless but it also had a factory alarm. Way to throw another wrench into this. I will try the remotes and update so if someone has this issue later this may help them.

7. May 15, 2010 at 1:27 PM
    BeefTaco

BeefTaco WESTern Alliance: NORCAL COAST

Member:
    Santa Cruz County Ca.
  8. May 26, 2010 at 10:03 AM
    Yamasaki

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    BAB237131-56 is the remote you need for the 2003 Tacoma for standard keyless entry.

Thanks alot Blitz10

To Top