1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2004 rear shock mount

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by itin1200, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Oct 18, 2011 at 7:23 PM
    itin1200

itin1200 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    2004 4x4 TRD XtraCab
    This is driving me nuts today, haven't been able to find much info online.

Took my 2004 4x4 Xtracab TRD to a garage to have my Bilstein 5100s and 5125s installed. Got them from DSM, and they came with 3/4" I.D. hourglass bushings installed on the 5125s for the rear.

The tech started with the passenger rear. The old (original) shock bushings were rubber and seemed to be 1/2" I.D. The tech said the stub was "too small" for the new bushing and wouldn't install the 5125s.

Quick call to DSM confirmed that I had the correct part.

But I'm not sure why the stub would be undersized, if indeed it even is. Is there supposed to be a metal sleeve inserted into the bushing that maybe the tech "misplaced" when he removed the original shock?

Or maybe there is supposed to be some wiggle room, some of which is taken up when the nut is tightened and squeezes down the bushing a bit? Seems like that would just eat up the poly bushing.

Short of doing it myself to visualize the bolt in the shock mount--very difficult to do at this time due to work and family issues--I'm at a loss what to do.

Any ideas?

Thanks--Bill

2. Oct 25, 2011 at 10:48 AM
    itin1200

itin1200 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    2004 4x4 TRD XtraCab
    Update.

I just installed the rear 5125s with no problems. The tech at PepBoys must have been smoking some bad stuff.

Turns out the bushings were VERY tight on the stud, which was good. Couldn't persuade them to go on, so bought an M12 1.25 x 40 bolt and some washers. Used this to "push" the shock onto the stud, then inserted the original bolt and snugged it down.

Only grease I had on hand was Red and Tacky. Hope that works with the poly bushings...

One hour total.

And kudos to Marco at DSM. I replied to your PM, but it doesn't show in my "sent" folder. Maybe it didn't go...

Products Discussed in

To Top