1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2004 Rust Frame

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 95pickup, Mar 21, 2018.

1. Mar 21, 2018 at 7:02 AM
    95pickup

95pickup [OP] New Member

Member:
    My 2004, 4-door, 4x4, off road package Tacoma just qualified for frame replacement under the extended warranty. Any input on what I should spend out of pocket on replacement parts? The dealer's initial quote was $6500! I think they're trying to get me on parts AND labor for a whole bunch of stuff they're going to be disconnecting anyway. I'm willing to shell out a couple grand on parts ($2K or $3K) but I feel the dealer is taking advantage. Any input? Thanks!

2. Mar 21, 2018 at 7:28 AM
    mwrohde

mwrohde Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma 4x4 5-speed 3.4 TRD SR5
    Mine was a battle but ended up being $2,300 on my end.

95pickup[OP] likes this.
  3. Mar 21, 2018 at 7:34 AM
    Seagull233

Seagull233 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Upstate New York
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC 4x4 V6
    BMW seats, OME Suspension, CBI and NWTI plates front and rear, 13,000 winch, LED light bars, Ham Radio, topper with roof rack added, stainless exhaust, 2nd battery, inverter, sound deadener
    That is way out of line. Toyota reimburses them for all parts to put truck back to whole. My dealer made a couple of suggestions for wear items that made sense to swap out, i.e. lower ball joints, steering rack bushings. I paid for the parts, but no labor for those additional items. The "kit" from Toyota includes obviously the frame, but also rear springs, brake and fuel lines, emergency brake cables, and lower control arms. Other items that you might consider are shocks, coilovers, etc. but parts only. Some have even provided aftermarket items to be installed with no labor, if part of the frame swap.

Welcome to Tacoma World, as many say, the most expensive "free" membership ever!!

Dougkb45, standard, frizzman and 2 others like this.
  4. Mar 21, 2018 at 7:48 AM
    frizzman

frizzman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 XCab 4x4 TRD/OR
    OME 2.5,Tundra 17s,Falken Wildpeak AT3W hitch w/ 7-pin, ARE cap, JVC HU w/BT, HID/LED lights
    unless your axle housings are rusted through you shouldn't have to really get anything. as @Seagull233 mentioned, normal wear and tear items are maybe a couple hundred $$$ at most and they should be "willing" to put them on while moving everything over to the new frame.

even if they charge labor it will be less than another couple hundred (depending on what the book deems as time/labor).

the labor cost for the frame replace is on Toyota's dime, not yours.

standard likes this.
  5. Mar 21, 2018 at 8:08 AM
    standard

standard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Delaware
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma Double Cab
    The above posts by @Seagull233 and @frizzman are spot on. Also this is a great opportunity to have them install new parts that they have to take off anyway. If you buy them aftermarket / third party most dealership will install those parts (especially if OEM) during the installation since they're doing the work anyway. Welcome to Tacoma World!

2002Tacoma4x4 likes this.
  6. Mar 21, 2018 at 8:17 AM
    ghs57

ghs57 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chops
    Catskill Mts. NY
    Vehicle:
    '07 Black TRD OR xtracab 4.0L 4WD
    Pretty much stock right now
    On my old '01 (225K 2.7l 4x4), I had them fix the engine oil leaks, which I think were from the valve cover and rear main seal. The parts/extra labor was minimal. What I wished I had done was replace all the front suspension parts LBJ, UBJ, ITRE, OTRRE as they recommended. I had recently done the rear suspension and coils, so I kept all that. When I got the truck back, the steering was very loose, so I ended up having to do the front suspension work anyway. I would have been further ahead if I let them do it with OEM parts.

My dealer reinstalled my non-toyota suspension parts, and I think they would have installed any new parts I had. Not all dealers will do that based on reports found here. I would take advantage the "free" labor while they are in the process as much as may be needed, or desired, to tighten things up.

standard likes this.
  7. Mar 21, 2018 at 8:26 AM
    Kytacotrd

Kytacotrd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma TRD xtra cab
    Just got my 2003 trd replaced 3 weeks ago. I replaced front coils, 4600’s all around, new front catalytic converter, rear axle housing with bearings seals and abs rings. Found the housing out west and shipped it in. I spent about a thousand on all parts and only labor I paid during swap was about 800. They charged me 55 bucks an hour instead of the typical 148 an hour during swap. Greens Toyota in Lexington was great. Truck rides awesome now.

8. Mar 21, 2018 at 9:45 AM
    Wyoming09

Wyoming09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Tripoli Pa
    Vehicle:
    2000 Work truck 5 speed 4x4 3.4
    Super Springs
    each dealer is for the most owned by someone else .

So what ever deal you make is up to your dealer

To them it is just another day at work

Products Discussed in

To Top