1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2004 shock replacement

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by cmf21, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Dec 17, 2009 at 5:31 PM
    cmf21

cmf21 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    04 4x4 dbl cab trd
    Bought my first Toyota truck a few months ago. Its a 04 dbl cab trd 4x4 with about 53,000 miles on it now but the stock shocks suck. I can feel every bump in the road plus the truck feels like it floats or sways alittle (maybe the tires?) down the road. I don't have much $$ but was thinking about replacing the shocks with some 5100's.

I've tried reading up on all this here but my question is are the front coils ok to use with the 5100's set at the 0 setting or should I spend the little extra cash for some new coils? I thought I read somewhere that the stock coils are a little soft to use or something?

Down the road I would like to eventually do a small lift and level things out. I currently have some 255/70/16 tires and would like to replace them with some 265/75/16 when they wear out. The rear passanger side has a little lean of about 1/2" but the leafs will have to wait. When I do lift will I need the differential drop kit or is that only for when you lift so many inches?

2. Dec 17, 2009 at 5:40 PM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    Yes, you can use the 5100's at the 0 setting with stock coils. You don't have to purchase new ones unless you want too. You won't need the diff drop as there is only a bout a 2 to 3 degree change on the cv angle at 3" of lift..

Products Discussed in

To Top