1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2005-2015 AFe GT Momentum Cold Air Intake

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by httuner, Apr 29, 2020.

1. Apr 29, 2020 at 3:39 PM
    httuner

httuner [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TRD-OffroadPckg
    AFe Rebel Catback Exhaust, AFe GT Momentum Air Intake, Method Wheels, Bilstein 5100, Rigid 30" SR2 Light Bar, Rigid 10" SR Light Bar. Lots of Love
    Recently I decided to do some Power/Noise Mods. After much research I decided to go with the AFe GT Momentum Cold Air intake, I was going to go with the Volant Air Intake a while back but saw that there was too many quality issues so decided against it.

AFe has a sale going on right now; 21 percent off everything! I ordered the Performance Air Intake Package; It includes Throttle Body Spacer; Both Wet & Dry Air filters, Filter Cleaning Kit and Filter Sock, lots of stickers! and it of course the Cold Air Intake with the Front Ram Air Attachment. 530 dollars is the final price with free shipping and that's a killer deal because bought separately you'll be spending probably over 700 bucks.

IMG_0902.jpg

Throttle Body Spacer; seems kinda like a gimmick to me but what the hell right? I'm mod envy so might as well install it; It does produce a high pitch wind noise which can get annoying but only during acceleration; once your cruising the noise goes away, so I don't mind it as much, Kinda sounds like a Turbo spooling up haha.(While you have the Throttle Body off; Clean the Throttle Body, mine was pretty dirty)

IMG_0906.jpg

This kit really dresses up the engine bay; Makes it look so much nicer

IMG_0908.jpg

So Installation Notes(FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS Booklet GIVEN TO YOU, lots of PICTURES so installation was super easy); The big Air Box can be tricky to get into place; The A/C lines runs very close to the right side of the box(looking at it from the front of the truck) You have to place the box in the area lining up the hole on the side of the box that goes into the wheel well hole, then you can push hard down on the right side of the box so it pushes the A/C lines out of the way and pops right into place. Lining up the bolts to mount the box is tricky too but doable if you just feel for it.

The front Ram Air attachment is installed with it being tilted down towards the ground; slide it into place and tilt it back up into position. Once you get it in you'll know; The far right side towards the driver side may not go into place easy because the cable for the hood release can be in the way, just use your hand and guide the ram air attachment over it and it should sit flush(You'll know when you go install it) Work the rubber coupler on, its a pain in the ass and took me a while but a little flexing here and there will get it on.

Review;

The Air Intake really brings this 4.0 to life; the engine just ROARS. Top end sounds mean as hell. Throttle response really picked up; Top end feels like its just more torque-y (However my butt dyno is subjective) I really have nothing but good things to say; did it add power? I'm sure it did, a lot? maybe not. Worth every dollar? Of course.

The quality of the air intake is superb; all the hardware is included and of high quality stainless steel. The Plastics feels nice and the quality really shows, this is not your cheap air intake kit and you can just tell. The fit and finish is top quality. Everything fits nicely and flush; installation was easy and instructions were detailed very well. AFe really did their homework.

However the only complaints I have is that the Relocation bracket for the Secondary Air Injection Pump could be mounted better; it just feels so flimsy being attached to the Air Box once you install the pump on the bracket it seems to flex a bit. I remedied this with some scrap aluminum and created a custom L-bracket. I used the hardware I took off the truck that wasn't needed and bolted it right up easy. (The relocation bracket AFe provides 4 bolt holes; 2 you use to attach to the box and 2 that are not used, I just mounted the bracket to these holes with 10mm bolts and use the stud coming out of the engine bay to mount the bracket)

IMG_0913.jpg
    IMG_0914.jpg

I track my mileage (MPG) I average about 15 mpg on every fill up; just this week I've noticed a .9mpg increase (I use Gas Buddy App) so 15.9 is what I am seeing now which I thought was pretty cool; will it pay for itself over time? Probably never.

Next week I get my AFe Rebel Catback Exhaust so once that comes in I'll install that and do a review too; I plan on getting the whole AFe setup; Manifolds; Y-pipe ect.

Norton, TACO Padre, Joker8824 and 3 others like this.
  2. May 15, 2020 at 12:44 PM
    TACO Padre

TACO Padre The wise man thinks twice and says nothing.

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    West Coast
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited
    Seat Spacer, Sprint Booster, Bilsteins 6112.5100, AAL,
    Definite improvement in the asthetics of the bay. Job well done.

httuner[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top