1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2005 fuel filter/ pump

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by cbrantley1894, Aug 29, 2016.

1. Aug 29, 2016 at 2:40 PM
    cbrantley1894

cbrantley1894 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carla
    Vehicle:
    2005 toyota tacoma 4cyl
    So I have done tons of research and no solid information just need clarification on a few things. Anyways someone has poured sugar (or something similar) but pretty sure its sugar into the gas tank of our 2005 4cyl tacoma. Went to go put gas in it and it wouldn't take gas, looked in there and it was blocked with sugar. We drove it 2 mins back to the house and parked it. )I'm pretty sure it had to been in there a few day with about 20 miles driving each day, just didn't notice until we needed gas.) Stupidly tried to drive it to the shop next door and it died. When you try to start it will not start thinking its not getting fuel to the engine? Cannot afford a mechanic so wondering what do to. My husbands dad works on vehicles so he knows how to change all the parts and such but owns a business and doesn't have much time to figure out whats wrong or drop the tank. I was wondering if we dropped the tank and cleaned it can you just replace the fuel filter or is it included in the fuel pump? Any possibility that could be all thats wrong? Found a pump for $320 on partsgeek. Anything else we can try? I read that the filters should stop the sugar from making to the motor in most cases. Any help would be appreciated we have a baby on the way and trying to save as much money as possible on fixing it.

2. Aug 29, 2016 at 4:20 PM
    Lester Lugnut

Lester Lugnut Well-Known Member

Member:
    N of Mex-S of Canada-E of LA-W of NC
    Vehicle:
    '15 Tacoma PreRunner V6 SR5 Auto
    moondeath likes this.
  3. Aug 29, 2016 at 4:32 PM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    I know on the 6 cylinder there is no conventional filter to replace. Its part of the fuel pump. Im pretty sure its the same way with the 4 cylinder. My understanding of it is its like a sock filter that is self cleaned by the fuel itself and suppose to last the life of the truck, assuming someone asshole doesnt pour sugar in the tank.

4. Aug 29, 2016 at 4:47 PM
    TexasWhiteIce

TexasWhiteIce Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2022 White DCLB SR5 - Blackout
    Pretty sure you'll need to drop the tank and clean, replace fuel filter, maybe run some seafoam through the system. Lastly buy a locking gas cap!!

5. Aug 29, 2016 at 8:10 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    Do you have full coverage insurance?

If yes that is vandalism and should be covered. If not you will need to drop the tank, clean it, replace the pump and filter assembly, flush the system out to the injectors and possible back flush the injectors.

Note: Sugar does not dissolve in gasoline so it shouldn't cause any issues except for the clogging of the filter in the tank and the inlet filter of the injectors if it gets past the fuel filter.

None of this is going to be fun.

Then find the @sshole that did this and do what Lester suggested.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
    Torspd likes this.
  6. Aug 30, 2016 at 6:21 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Throughly rinse out the fill neck as well.

Www.urdusa.com might have a fuel pump upgrade kit cheaper than returning to OEM, as well as the filter will then be external.

Jimmyh likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top