1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2005 Taco double cab stereo question ???

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by taco suprme sport, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Jan 11, 2007 at 12:53 PM
    taco suprme sport

taco suprme sport [OP] Member

Member:
    I just purchased a 2005 double cab. The previous owner installed a harness for XM satilite radio and replaced the dome light with a DVD player. When I got home, I purchased my Taco from a dealer 2 hours away, I discovered I get no AM radio reception at all. I will have some time to look into this this weekend, any suggestions from the group on why I am receiving FM but no AM. any technical help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Adam

2. Jan 11, 2007 at 11:43 PM
    kwe1560

kwe1560 Active Member

Member:
    Does anyone really listen to AM anymore?? My guess is that the antennae is not connected, If the FM stations your receiving are close to your location its possible that you may receive them, That my not be the case with FM, If you have the radio turned on in AM mode and drive around you may pickup a few stations but will quickly fade. Also depending on the radio type there may be an adjusting screw on the back of your unit that you may have to turn, Radio waves are greatly affected by location. If you live in a residential or built-up area, this to may have an effect as well. Check and see if the antennae is broken or cut somewhere. If you can't find a cut or fray see if you get reception as your driving around in AM mode. If still no reception it's possible the radio in the unit may be out as well...

3. Jan 15, 2007 at 7:35 AM
    taco suprme sport

Member:
    The problem ended up being a FM modulator had been installed along with the XM satilite radio. When I removed the modulator and plugged the antenna back directly to the back of the radio reception became perfect. Just wanted to let the group know in case anyone else runs across this.

4. Jan 15, 2007 at 8:02 AM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device

Thanks for keeping us up-to-date! That was a pretty simple fix. You are lucky. I have seen a Celica where the motorized antenna wasn't even hooked up at the trunk. We thought the problem was at the deck. That was 2 hours of wasted time.:rolleyes:

5. Jan 15, 2007 at 8:05 AM
    taco suprme sport

Member:
    Yeah, I was very lucky. Especially if I had taken it to a dealer, no way was this a warranty item. My son Andrew was floating on air with pride after we found the problem, quality time spent.

6. Jan 15, 2007 at 8:10 AM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    Excellent - and he should be proud. Many people wouldn't have know what that was to begin with (like me - 4 years ago):rolleyes: .

Products Discussed in

To Top