1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2006 Mustang Electrical Drain Issue - Assistance Appreciated

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by tirediron, Sep 4, 2019.

1. Sep 4, 2019 at 5:52 PM
    tirediron

tirediron [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Victoria, BC< Canada
    Vehicle:
    2022 4x4 Sport, Auto, BCM
    Odd (to me; full disclosure: I'm a pretty fair shade-tree mechanic, but modern, computer-controlled electronics are NOT my strong suit!) issue with my wife's 2006 V6 4l mustang. It doesn't get used a lot in the summer and can sit for 2-3 weeks without even being started... The other day, went to use it, dead.... checked the battery, 2 volts, charged it, load-banked it and it failed... it was five years old, not a huge surprise. Replaced with a brand-new good quality battery... sat for two weeks while out of town, and.... dead; down to 3.5 volts.

Charged it and it started fine. Put the ammeter on it, and there's an initial draw of around 1.25 amps, which after 30 seconds or so reduces to a continuous draw of .1 amp. That seems high for a car "at rest, even a modern one.

I've physically disconnected all after-market accessories (only two) and the draw is still present. So... any thoughts? I know how to localize the issue, but time is short for the next few weeks, and I'm hoping that someone out here is TW land could give me some suggestions (on the electrical problem.... I get all of the other kind I need already!).

Thanks!

bigmw likes this.
  2. Sep 4, 2019 at 6:56 PM
    rtzx9r

rtzx9r Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bueller
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport
    LS1 swap with nitros.
    Pull fuses one at a time while watching your amp meter to try and narrow down what circuit is responsible. You can then determine what is on said circuit and clean contacts etc to narrow it down.

Was anything new put on that could coincide with this issue starting? Something older put on that may not be working correctly anymore that is responsible? Aftermarket radio, amp, etc? Some sort of charger?

shakerhood, tirediron[OP] and bigmw like this.
  3. Sep 4, 2019 at 6:56 PM
    keith88lx

keith88lx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mount Prospect
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    Does is have the stock shaker radio? Back when I had my 2006 Mustang, I believe there were issues with the stock s197 shaker radios having continuous draw issues. I always made sure to turn off the radio before turning off the car. (I still do that in my Tacoma out of habit). Not sure if this will help, but that’s what I remember years ago when I had my 2006.

tirediron[OP] and bigmw like this.
  4. Sep 4, 2019 at 8:56 PM
    tirediron

tirediron [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Victoria, BC< Canada
    Vehicle:
    2022 4x4 Sport, Auto, BCM
    That's the problem; NOTHING has been installed in at least five years, issue has started in the last few weeks. The only two after-market items have been physically disconnected from power (and showed zero draw regardless). I'm familiar with the 'one circuit at a time' the problem is, I don't have a lot of time. Thanks!

It does have the stock radio; I'll definitely have a look at that tomorrow. Thanks!

5. Sep 5, 2019 at 8:24 AM
    Muddinfun

Muddinfun Well-Known Member

Member:
    The most common things that cause parisitic drains like this are glove box lights, trunk lights, underhood lights and vanity mirror lights. As mentioned, pull fuses 1 at a time to isolate the problem. It doesn't take that long to pull fuses.

tirediron[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top