1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2006 OEM TRD SPORT Wheel clean polish detail

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by mantry, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Mar 22, 2012 at 8:25 PM
    mantry

mantry [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Salt Lake City
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma SR5 Sport Double LB
    Howdy, for my 2006 DC TRD SPORT, when I bought it last year it had aftermarket chrome wheels that I didn't really care for. I was able to purchse some OEM FACTORY TRD SPORT wheels but I would like to clean them up a little bit and get them back to looking like new.

I initially thought that these wheels were painted and clear coated, but then found out that they are are a machined wheel and then clear coated.

Their condition is that they have some very, very minor curb rash and maybe a scratch or two but nothing bad. 2 of them have some water spotting on them that hopefully hasn't gone through the clear coat.

Here is what one of them looks like: (I would say this is the worst of the 4)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    You can see a couple of the places where I have rubbed them with some RUBBING COMPOUND and it seems like it has removed the water spots and looks like it is doing OK on the scratches also.

I went by a local wheel refinisher here in the Salt Lake City area (Hubcap Heaven and Wheels) and they quoted me initially $105/wheel but if I did all 4 they would drop it down to $85/wheel. I asked how they did that and they said that they mounted them in a lathe and basically turned them down like you would a brake rotor. Then they would clear coat them.

I'm trying to see if anyone has any detailing type information where I could work on them myself. I feel my choices are just mount them as is and I would be happy. I would be happy also if they were to resurface/refinish them also. What I am looking for is some products/techniques that would give me a little something in between. I don't think I want to get aggressive enough that I would have to re-clear coat them.

But, what do folks suggest? Polishing compound? Rubbing compound? followed by Wax/Polish? Any items or specific products? Any tools/etc recommended that would also help the process? Mothers Power Ball? Mothers Power Cone? or anything like that? Or just elbow grease and/or cotton towel/microfiber towels?

Also, the rear/backsides are fairly dirty, what would be best to clean them up? Green Scotch brite pad? What will really cut through that stuff. Seems like soap/water or Simple Green doesn't really seem to touch it.

Thanks in advance folks!

2. Mar 27, 2012 at 9:24 AM
    mantry

mantry [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Salt Lake City
    Vehicle:
    <BUMP> Should I have posted this in a different forum?

3. Apr 3, 2012 at 8:18 PM
    mac424205

mac424205 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mathew
    Chelsea
    Vehicle:
    2005 4Runner Limited V8 4X4
    Billies on all four corners with daystar spacer lift. Bought it like this. Replacing done with toytec ultimate 3" lift
    try using mag and aluminum polish, you can buy at advance, and get a powerball. Use a drill when applying. follow the instructions on the can and it should take you through it step by step. Post some after pics after you finish the polish. As for the curb rash. I would leave it alone. It isn't going to hurt anything and if you get worse curb rash, then i would look into getting that fixed.
    As for the back of the rim. Use Purple Power and a scrub brush. Works wonders. I have done that on several of my customers cars and it has came out amazingly!!! If you really want the black "stained" crud off, try using steel wool on a small area and if that seems to scratch it then go to the a srubbing pad.

Let me know if this helps any.

4. Apr 5, 2012 at 2:15 AM
    mantry

mantry [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Salt Lake City
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the suggestions!!!! I took a look at the MAG & ALUMINUM POLISH and it seems to warn against using on painted and clear coated products. Seems to me that it is meant as a bare metal polish, whereas my wheels are a bare metal that is clear coated. So, not sure about that.

I think I am leaning more towards having the professional refinsh them by turning them on their lathe and then re-clear coating them. That way they should be back to 100% just like new.

I will get some of the purple power and give them a good scrubbing before I take them in.

Thanks!

Products Discussed in

To Top