1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2006 Tacoma Rear LSD

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by SurfnWolf, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Sep 12, 2008 at 7:00 AM
    SurfnWolf

SurfnWolf [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fayetteville NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma Prerunner Double Cab
    i have a v6 2wd double cab tacoma 2006...door jam A04C..so i take it I have the LSD,,,also sticker says use LSD oil. So will the Royal Purple synthetic..be all in need, or do I still need a little additive???

Since this is 2wd.. I can assume I only have to change a Rear LSD...?? I shouldnt have a front one right, thats only for 4 x 4 s ?

2. Sep 12, 2008 at 7:14 AM
    Caddmannq

Caddmannq MotoNerd

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner TRD Sport DC LB
    Undercover toneau
    No, there's nothing in front of a 2WD to put gear oil in.

If you have LSD, you must use LSD additive or use a gear oil that already comes with it. (It will be labeled for LSD)

If you don't, you'll end up tearing up the tires, differential, and maybe breaking axles, depending on how you drive.

3. Sep 12, 2008 at 7:16 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I'm not familiar with Royal Purple oils... Make sure the oil specifically states that it has FRICTION MODIFIER included in the oil. If it doesn't say that - then it doesn't have it. You'll have to put additive in the oil.

I know Amsoil makes a 75W-90 Severe Gear oil that has the friction modifiers already in it.

You are correct...a 2WD will not have a front differential.

4. Sep 12, 2008 at 8:57 AM
    Demoncleaner

Demoncleaner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    05 Dcab 6spd 4x4 TRD Sport w/Tow
    TRD exhaust Homemade bed mat & bed extender, front Drings, Short clutch throw, Summer: Stock 17's Winter: Blizzaks on 16' black steelies
    Read the manual, run whats recommended. You can run the priciest syn you want, but I'd search and see why non-syn is safe bet. Reg oil for LSD applications, no modifier needed, $10 for 3Qt, no issues. Its what your truck came with.

5. Sep 12, 2008 at 9:22 AM
    Caddmannq

Caddmannq MotoNerd

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner TRD Sport DC LB
    Undercover toneau
    I tend to agree that synthetic isn't warranted. I use syn oils because of good cold weather performance, and because they don't go stale due to contamination by combustion byproducts. Gear oil doesn't suffer that. It doesn't wear out quickly either, unlike engine oil.

But those additives do wear out (the gears actually chop up the long molecules) so I think the best bet is to run regular gear oil with LSD additive, and change the gear oil more frequently than scheduled, or at least add some more additive between changes.

But you don't want to over-fill the differential (it'll start to leak) so you need to let some oil out. At that point you'd might as well just change it.

6. Sep 12, 2008 at 3:00 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Does the manual say that you don't need friction modifier with regular oils?

Products Discussed in

To Top