1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2007 4wd light flashes 4 lo

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Ricky B, Feb 16, 2019.

1. Feb 16, 2019 at 5:31 PM
    Ricky B

Ricky B [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    1998 XCAB
    went to use 4 hi the other day and light started flashing and wouldn't quit until I turned the key off. Flashing green emblem and orange Lo. Pulled the front add and soldered the contacts and checked it with motorcycle battery it worked. Looked at rear add and saw the vent hose had fallen off. Took the black cap off and it had water in it. I cleaned all the water out and greased it good. Checked it with battery and it worked. Put it back on and with battery engaged 4wd then took it back out. This was determined by front drive shaft turning or not. I know both motors work but my light will not quit blinking or 4wd work. It's like the ecu put it in fail mode with light blinking and I have no clue how to reset it. Pulled the battery post for a minute and still blinking. Can somebody help me trouble shoot from here?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  2. Feb 16, 2019 at 6:40 PM
    b_r_o

b_r_o Beef jerky time

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB
    Check all the fuses?

3. Feb 16, 2019 at 7:26 PM
    Ricky B

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    1998 XCAB
    Yes checked them. Found a 4wd light blinking guide and will try those.

b_r_o likes this.
  4. Feb 17, 2019 at 3:41 PM
    Ricky B

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    1998 XCAB
    I took the position sensors out in transfer case and the one closest to the rear of truck has continuity and the one toward front of truck doesn't make continuity when pushed in. I'm hoping this sensor is the problem. Can someone verify if I'm correct on them making continuity when pushed in? Also which one works what? Thanks Ricky

5. Feb 21, 2019 at 8:02 AM
    Ricky B

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    1998 XCAB
    Ok I tested the two switches on the transfer case and the one toward the front of truck did not give me continuity when the switch was depressed. I changed it out but green 4wd emblem and 4wd LO is still flashing. Do I have to reset the ECU or wouldn't that happen when I start he truck each time? Really thought this was my problem because I can make both ADD shift into 4WD with a battery. Thanks Rick

6. Feb 27, 2019 at 9:11 AM
    Ricky B

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    1998 XCAB
    Well boys and girls I never did figure out the problem. I suspect it was in ADD located in the transfer case. The switch checked out but when I would power the ADD from the 4wd ECU it would bind up. Also was having torque convertor issues so I made the decision to trade the truck in on a 2019 Tacoma. So I will be moving to the 3rd generation forum. Just wanted to update the thread because a lot of times folks ask questions but when it gets fixed they don't bother coming back on and finishing the thread. Thanks for all the help on the gen 2 and I'm sure over the years you guys will be moving over eventually. Rick

Products Discussed in

To Top