1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2007 Taco - ABS/Brake light on, no reason?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by SubFrozen, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Mar 15, 2016 at 1:07 PM
    SurfnSwdsman

SurfnSwdsman Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma V6 TRD Off Road 4X4
    Good to know, thanks for the heads up!

2. Mar 28, 2016 at 9:23 PM
    Country

Country Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Country
    East Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl.-Everyone says it looks like a tank
    Pro Comp 6in lift w/ Icon Coilovers,AllPro UCA's, AllPro Baja Leaf pack, Bilstein 5150's in the rear. Tires Mickey Thompson MTZ 275/70R18 w/ procomp 7089 wheels. ARB front bumper with mile marker winch, Custom made all quarter inch steel rear bumper. Demello rock crusher slider's. CoverKing neoprene seat cover's, AllPro trail armor All-pro U-bolt flip kit with Timbren bump stops and many many many other mods, way to many to list.
    I had this same issue. My left hub bearing was shot to hell. I replaced both hub bearings and hubs as well as new rotors (oreilly auto parts screwe up my OEM rotors) they gave me new ones. Anyways, my left bearing was so bad that there was metal fragments inside where the wheel speed sensor is. I cleaned or out and put both bearings in.

Now once everything was put back together factory rotors included, I went for a test drive. Only to discover that only the right side front disc would engage for braking. Causing the taco to pull hard right. ABS light was on. I called Oreilly and spoke to the district manager exhaling to him that the stored rotor machine had a bent auger bit and they screwed up my rotors, he obliged in giving me a new set of rotors and Wagner pads. He also admitted to knowing their machine was at fault. The kid who turned my rotors made 3 cuts on both rotors as well as chattering them. They felt like 80 grit sand paper.
    With the new rotors and pads my truck brakes normal and no ABS light is on. It's strange to me that the bad rotors would trip the ABS and cause my taco to become so dangerous while driving.

pats73 likes this.
  3. Apr 15, 2016 at 9:11 AM
    Lifeofbrian

Lifeofbrian Longing for the far East

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Westminster, CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TUNDRA 5.7 Rock Warrior
    Stuff
    my light came on this morning, going to check all of the stuff listed here. My fluid is a quarter inch below the max line so hopefully that fixes it.

4. Apr 15, 2016 at 12:11 PM
    SurfnSwdsman

SurfnSwdsman Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma V6 TRD Off Road 4X4
    I refilled my fluid to full but the problem didn't go away. The brake fluid wasn't that low either. I'm inclined to think that it has something to do with old dirty sensors like previous posters have suggested. I'll get it checked out on my next oil change.

pats73 likes this.
  5. Apr 15, 2016 at 12:30 PM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    Read ABS code to find which sensor is that. It will make your life easier.

pats73 likes this.
  6. Apr 15, 2016 at 6:05 PM
    Lifeofbrian

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Westminster, CO
    Vehicle:
    Stuff
    update: When i left work the light was off and stayed off the entire ride home, hasnt came back on yet.

i have a theory, my driveway is very steep. I am thinking the fluid appeared to be low to the sensor because of the incline thus it came on but after sitting on a flat surface all day it went off.

If it comes back on ill let everyone know and i will dig deeper using the ideas listed in this thread.

7. Apr 23, 2016 at 8:23 AM
    Taco Guy11

Taco Guy11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Western Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma TRD off-road
    How do you do that

8. Apr 23, 2016 at 9:37 AM
    Lifeofbrian

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Westminster, CO
    Vehicle:
    Stuff
    my light came back on for 30 mins, hasnt came back on yet. goofy stuff.

9. Oct 25, 2016 at 8:43 AM
    MD_Taco_Owner

MD_Taco_Owner Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Vehicle:
    Stock 2007 Pre-Runner, 4-door, V6
    None
    Common problem. Run your hand over every inch of the ABS cables around the shocks and struts and what you are feeling for are small cracks in the insulation. These cracks lead to the sensor wiring becoming brittle at that point, breaking and making an intermittent connection that fools the ABS system. Focus on the wiring that has to flex the most - right front from the shock tower base connection to the engine compartment connection is where I found three cracks in the black wiring. Replaced the wiring and the problem went away for over a year now. I could sometimes hear the ABS trying to come on as well over speed bumps. Good luck guys. Sucks, but that is the world of electronics and wiring.

tcjacado likes this.
  10. Apr 8, 2018 at 7:23 AM
    Taco Nation

Taco Nation Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Clinton, MS
    Vehicle:
    94.5 F350, 77 F150, 74 F100, 11 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Lift, wheels, tires
    Bumping this thread because my brake and abs light have been on for a year. Everything worked properly so I just rolled with it. Now my speedometer has quite working. I’ve only done a visual inspection on the speed sensor on the transmission but it looks fine. My next guess is that this is related to the abs issue. Anyone encountered this before?

11. Apr 8, 2018 at 4:17 PM
    MD_Taco_Owner

MD_Taco_Owner Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Vehicle:
    Stock 2007 Pre-Runner, 4-door, V6
    None
    McTeaue gets a vote from me. I pulled my left front sensor (bad wheel bearing on an 07 Pre-Runner) and I was surprised it even worked from all the metallic crap stuck to it. Pull and clean each one. If you find one filled, you may be on your way to a bad bearing down the road. Pull EVERYTHING off that sensor side and see what else is going on. Out of sight does not mean it should be out of mind.

DGXR and 04Burk like this.
  12. May 2, 2020 at 4:15 PM
    dedmanc

dedmanc New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Vehicle:
    2007 blue Tacoma PreRunner
    I had the same issue with my 07 Tacoma. I pulled the wheel speed sensors and noticed the rear passenger sensor had a wear spot on it. I ordered all 4 sensors from rockauto for less than $100. Installed the sensors drove down the block and the lights went off.

13. May 2, 2020 at 8:24 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5

Just a heads up. Those sensors are proximity sensors and should never touch the tone ring. If it does that means the wheel bearing are worn enough that the entire axle shaft is moving causing the wear on the sensor. The sensor is going to get rubbed again and go bad.

Bottom line: You need to replace the wheel bearings.

14. May 5, 2020 at 9:44 AM
    dedmanc

dedmanc New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Vehicle:
    2007 blue Tacoma PreRunner

You are correct. I checked the new sensor and it has wear as well. Ordered the bearings and seals to replace. Thanks!

15. May 5, 2020 at 1:37 PM
    Freeheelbillie

Freeheelbillie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Billie
    Saint Clair, MI
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma SR, DCSB
    FRONT END King Stage 3 3” RR Coil Overs SPC UCA’s REAR END King Stage 3 BAMF Shock Relocation Rear AAL Heavy ARB Universal Diff Breather Kit TIRES & RIMS 16” Method Bronze BFG K02 (315/75/R16) ARMOR Demello Off Road Baja Hoop Front Bumper Main Line Overland Rock Sliders w/ Top Plate ¼” Aluminum RCI Fuel Tank Skid RCI Fuel Tank Straps RCI Rear Diff Skid RCI A-Arm Skids RCI – Front, Transmission, and rear Transfer Case Skid DRIVE LINE YotaWerx, BlackHawk Tune Re Geared w/ Nitro 4.56 Package Front ARB Air Locker Rear ARB Air Locker 8” Reverse Clamshell 3.73 & Down Carrier RECOVERY ComeUp Seal Gen2 9.5RS Winch, Synthetic Line ComeUp Seal Hawse Fairlead ARB On Board Twin Air Compressor LIGHTING Squadron-R Pro Amber Fogs (Wide Cornering) Baja Designs Rock Lights Squadron Sport Fogs (qty 4) Baja Designs Bed Light Kit SPODS, HD 8 Circuit Switch Panel
    Just pay the stealership to diag. I had the same issue and it took some doing to chase down.
    Its either a tone ring, bad wheel speed sensor, wheel bearing, ABS Module, or in my case a bad wheel sensor wire between the ABS Module and Sensor. The lesson? Don't let the stealership throw parts at the problem. Most of these parts are on the spendy side...

pats73 likes this.
  16. May 5, 2020 at 2:57 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    :thumbsup:

Freeheelbillie likes this.
  17. Nov 2, 2021 at 6:16 AM
    Scrapla

Scrapla Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma PreRunner 4.0 V6
    Bumping this cause I have a problem which randomly occurs and was told it might be an ABS. While on highway drives sometimes my brakes hang up and the only solutions are to pull the vacuum off the booster which instantly frees them up or just sit and let cool. I have no ABS or BRAKE light but told besides a bad booster which I replaced twice it might be a bad ABS module. How can I can check mine and can anyone other than the dealer scan this device? 07 2wd auto and I have no diff locker or traction control options.

18. Nov 2, 2021 at 7:21 AM
    SliMbo4.0

SliMbo4.0 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma DCSB TRD offroad
    BP51, BAMF hangers, BruteForce HC, SCS, Vagabond Drifter
    I had this ABS light happen on my 07 but it seemed to be from the outer CV boot getting a tear and flinging grease all over the place. Replaced the boot, cleaned off all the grease and it's been fine since.

19. Nov 19, 2021 at 11:15 AM
    bhigbee

bhigbee Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Barney
    Hayden Id
    Vehicle:
    Wrecked 07 DCSB
    35s, flatbed, rhino liner paint, SOS front bumper, JD Fab lca pivot, JD Fab inner fenders and some other stuff.
    Lots of good info here. Looks like I'll be checking my wheel sensors pretty soon. Has anyone had their locker turn on when their abs light comes on?

pats73 likes this.
  20. Sep 27, 2022 at 6:51 PM
    pats73

pats73 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Vehicle:
    06 taco trd quadcab longbed
    Great idea why TF didn’t I think of that!? ✌ This forum is THE SHIT! Thanks all! ✌❤️

Freeheelbillie likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top