1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2007 tacoma off road questions

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by cozdude, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Apr 8, 2014 at 7:02 PM
    TeamSarcasm

TeamSarcasm Flawless Escalation to the Ludicrous

Member:
    The better coast
    ^ unless youre talking about their 4.5 lift, your CV angles will change.

Is it 4x4 or 2wd? If the latter that have 4" spindles if you don't mind being 1" higher. If you search "3" lift gallery" or variations of that statement, one should pop up. People seem to like their ome stuff.

2. Apr 8, 2014 at 7:04 PM
    WisTaco

WisTaco Bowhunter -)))----->

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Murdered 08
    TRD coi,TRD exhaust, Leer cap,WT floormats, Ironman Lift, LR UCA's, Ultra Rogue wheels, 255/75/17's. DYI mods 4x4 Illum switch & BLHM.
    OME is a good choice, also you'll most likely need new UCA's to correct alignment, SPC (light racing) is a popular choice. Also to reduce trimming or other issues 255 or 275 gets real close to 33's, 33 you will prob have to loose the front flaps. If running stock wheel you'll also prob need wheel spacers because how close the spindle sits next to tire.

Hope this helps answer some of your questions.

I am running 255's on a 2.5 lift and only really experience rubbing (on the flaps) on flex but I am not willing to give them up since this is snow country and don't want all the rock chips.
    [​IMG]

3. Apr 8, 2014 at 7:25 PM
    talofox

talofox Northwest Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Port Angeles, WA/Minot,ND
    Vehicle:
    '07 DCSB 6spd
    Yup, its a real lift and raises the frame of the truck up away from the differential. Just like lifting a solid front axle pickup you don't gain any axle clearance with an RCD lift. You gain the axle clearance by installing larger tires.

From experience, I would say most people who have installed the RCD lift themselves would agree that cutting the crossmember is really not that big of a deal once you see it.(also reversible) And that the Pros of the RCD lift far outweigh the one Con.

4. Apr 8, 2014 at 7:32 PM
    talofox

talofox Northwest Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Vehicle:
    '07 DCSB 6spd
    It's the same concept as lifting a SFA. The front differential should not be lifted with the frame of the truck. It's not really "dropping" the differential, it's allowing the frame to be raised without the front diff being raised as well.

5. Apr 8, 2014 at 7:47 PM
    dakotasyota

dakotasyota Just a Fringe of the Ging in your Minge

Member:
    First Name:
    Dakota
    Ellensburg, WA
    Vehicle:
    06 Access Cab, Manual, V6, 4x4, TRD Off-Road
    Total Chaos +2 LT w/ 2.5 x 8 Kings, 700 lb coils, Chevy 63s, BAMF Shock relocation, 12" King Smoothies, Locker Anytime Mod, 5% Tint All Around, 4xInnovations full skids, Custom Made Rock Sliders, 4xInnovations HC Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier, SOS Original Plate 2 Front Bumper, 130 w KC Slimlites, Homertaco Raptor Grill, Bestop Supertop, Smittybilt 9500 lb winch, Flowmaster 40 series, JVC deck w/ 12" Rockford Fosgate T1 in custom box, and lots more!!
    Yeah but a solid front axle has more articulation, it will move up and down. All you're doing is dropping down the frame. That doesn't move. You lose clearance. It also makes you way more top heavy. As far as offroading goes, drop bracket = BAD. But they're great for clearing curbs at the mall ;)

6. Apr 8, 2014 at 7:53 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

Cutting the crossmember would turn me off

7. Apr 8, 2014 at 8:40 PM
    talofox

talofox Northwest Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Vehicle:
    '07 DCSB 6spd
    Lots of bad/false info in your post. There is no "dropping down the frame" or losing clearance. The frame goes up, the diff stays in place. Add bigger tires, and you gain clearance. It does not make you more top heavy, and if wheeling an RCD lift with 33's is BAD then wheeling a stock Tacoma HAS to be HORRIBLE.

Regardless the RCD lift is great for a DD taco that sees moderate offroading, going LT or SAS is the only reason i'd ever get rid of it. If people want to spend $2000 on coilovers and UCA's to force bad angles on their LCA's and CV's that's on them. I'm saying there's other options out there with more pro's and less cons, that's all.

8. Apr 8, 2014 at 8:45 PM
    TeamSarcasm

TeamSarcasm Flawless Escalation to the Ludicrous

Member:
    The better coast
    For someone with ED, that's not to hard :D

Btw, nofords took his 6" db off road all the time, he had no problems.

9. Apr 9, 2014 at 3:17 AM
    cozdude

cozdude [OP] Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    Jeep Wrangler
    Thank you for the responses! I sent him the link for the thread so he can read it. So it sounds like a 2.5" lift and some 275/70's are his best bet to keep the cost low. I know he wants a complete coilover kit so the Bilstein one sounds right up his ally.

As far as the drop brackets go for a sfa, yea drop brackets suck. What's the point of lifting your frame 2.5" if you just going to lower it back down 2.5" with the brackets. It's kinda silly if you ask me. I would rather spend the coin on a good set of adjustable control arms that currie sells cause they have Johnny joints which are the best joints out there and totally rebuildable.

10. Apr 9, 2014 at 3:20 AM
    cozdude

cozdude [OP] Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    Jeep Wrangler

Thanks! I sent my buddy the thread so he could read your post and others and learn a little.

And thanks! I love my jeep! I can post more pics of it later if you want to see a few more

11. Apr 9, 2014 at 7:08 PM
    dakotasyota

Member:
    First Name:
    Dakota
    Ellensburg, WA
    Vehicle:
    Total Chaos +2 LT w/ 2.5 x 8 Kings, 700 lb coils, Chevy 63s, BAMF Shock relocation, 12" King Smoothies, Locker Anytime Mod, 5% Tint All Around, 4xInnovations full skids, Custom Made Rock Sliders, 4xInnovations HC Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier, SOS Original Plate 2 Front Bumper, 130 w KC Slimlites, Homertaco Raptor Grill, Bestop Supertop, Smittybilt 9500 lb winch, Flowmaster 40 series, JVC deck w/ 12" Rockford Fosgate T1 in custom box, and lots more!!
    Okay let me rephrase, yes the frame goes up, but you lower down all your front suspension INCLUDING THE CROSSMEMBER back to stock. So you didn't gain any clearance there. A coilover lifted tacoma with 33's will have more clearance in the front than a drop bracketed tacoma with 33's. And yes you are more top heavy... Wheeling with a stock taco would be better because same clearance and less top heavy.

But yes, great for DD and looks mostly. Light offroading is fine. Yes indeed there are other options out there that are better, but DB is not one! There's a reason why almost every truck that really wheels on here is not a drop bracket. Btw how are those U-joints doing? If you wanna talk about forcing bad angles...

12. Apr 9, 2014 at 7:10 PM
    dakotasyota

Member:
    First Name:
    Dakota
    Ellensburg, WA
    Vehicle:
    Cool, glad to help! Sure if you felt like it, haha. Do you still have the Dana 30 under the front?

13. Apr 10, 2014 at 4:07 AM
    cozdude

cozdude [OP] Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    Jeep Wrangler
    Ok I will see if I can find some more later and post them up for shits and giggles.

Yea I still have the D30. Running 315/75r16 nitto mud grapplers currently. Once I can get a D44 or a Dynatrac Pro Rock 44 up front I will upgrade to 37's and a set of ATX slab beadlocks.

14. Apr 10, 2014 at 6:02 PM
    dakotasyota

Member:
    First Name:
    Dakota
    Ellensburg, WA
    Vehicle:
    Cool! 37s would be awesome! My friend just ordered his 285/70r17 goodyear mtrs for his. He wants 35s but doesn't trust his D30 with the way he beats on it. Saving up for a Rockjock 60. Sure makes him mad seeing these soccer moms driving rubicons that have no idea about their D44 and lockers haha. They would never know if their axles got swapped out one day... :spy:

15. Apr 11, 2014 at 10:51 AM
    cozdude

cozdude [OP] Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    Jeep Wrangler
    he can easily run 35's on his d30. just gusset the C's and he will be good to go. then when he has the money he should get a dynatrac axle. they are stronger than currie rockjock's. also i have heard tons of stories of currie not doing warrenty work cause they "played to hard". all of those users switched to Dynatrac pro rocks

16. Apr 11, 2014 at 8:07 PM
    dakotasyota

Member:
    First Name:
    Dakota
    Ellensburg, WA
    Vehicle:
    Yeah he knows but he doesn't want to change gears again and he likes not rubbing and having more room to flex. Here's a pic of his jeep :D
    [​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top