1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2007 Tacoma Rust / Frame Replacement Help

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Brentthevolunteer, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Jul 2, 2020 at 8:45 AM
    Brentthevolunteer

Brentthevolunteer [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2002 DCSB SR5 4x4
    Hey y'all, I'm brand new to Tacoma World as I'm looking to purchase my first Tacoma and looking to build my knowledge on what to look for when shopping, especially in the frame replacement/refurb department. I'm looking at a 2007 Tacoma 4x4 with 230k miles and the dealer sent me some picks of the undercarriage and stated the frame had been replaced. I know this falls in the 2nd gen frame recall window but the dealer has not specified if the repair was done through the Toyota factory recall process. The CarFax does not report any accidents, but the vehicle was purchased by the dealership at auction a year and a half after the second owner purchased it. Is something fishy here?

However, it looks like there's some suspect welds that don't appear on original OEM frames at the crossmembers behind the front axle; this is based on very quick research I did looking at pictures of 2007 OEM frames that don't seem to have welds where this frame dones. It also appears that the frame has some replacement/ID stickering that is different than the rest of the frame.

Photos are attached, please help me, what do I need to train my eye to see when inspecting Taco undercarriages.

Thanks!

image0.jpg
    image1.jpg
    image2.jpg
    image3.jpg
    image4.jpg

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    Black DOG Lila likes this.
  2. Jul 2, 2020 at 8:51 AM
    Black DOG Lila

Black DOG Lila Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma SR5 2.7 5 speed 4WD
    Stock. EZ pass.Dump pass.Inspection sticker.Convict printed lic.plates.FG cap.
    Welcome to TW Brent

3. Jul 2, 2020 at 5:50 PM
    TnShooter

TnShooter The TacomaWorld Stray

Member:
    First Name:
    Deogee
    Vehicle:
    07' TRD Off-Road, Auto
    STOCK
    You can create an account with Toyota on their website. (It’s free)
    You’ll then need to enter the VIN# and add it to your vehicles.
    Then, you can get all the service records preformed by Toyota.

4. Jul 2, 2020 at 6:01 PM
    sleazy seagull

sleazy seagull Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    ‘20 TRDOR DCSB
    Is that rear shock absorber even bolted down all the way?..

The rubber cushion doesn’t even appear to be compressed.

Edit: Frame looks fine to me. My 1st gen had a replaced frame. Different but similar.

midwestisbest likes this.
  5. Jul 2, 2020 at 6:02 PM
    taco_rhyno

taco_rhyno Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 DC 4x4 Sport
    Welcome to TW. That frame looks great and has the same stickers as my 06 which has had the frame replaced. If you buy it apply fluid film every fall and it will last forever. Inspect the rest of the truck - the frame isn't a problem. The biggest thing to check is the power steering rack. They are a known wear item, are expensive to replace. I had to replace mine at 110K miles.

Brentthevolunteer[OP] likes this.
  6. Jul 2, 2020 at 6:13 PM
    taco_rhyno

taco_rhyno Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 DC 4x4 Sport
    A follow-up comment - order of buying a truck - #1 A rust free truck from AZ/Cali/CO with no frame replacement. Great if you find one, no rust so easy to work on. #2 A truck with a new frame, it gets a fair number of new parts (like LCAs). #3 A truck with that isn't #1 or #2. As you are in Illinois your best bet is #2 if your are not willing to travel to find #1.

Brentthevolunteer[OP] likes this.
  7. Jul 2, 2020 at 6:22 PM
    Brentthevolunteer

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2002 DCSB SR5 4x4
    I was concerned about the shock too. And I appreciate all the feedback on the frame. I was to use the Toyota VIL tool to find the truck, but couldn't find a record of frame replacement...but given that many people have validated that it looks like a recall project. It probably is.

Yes, I'm looking for rust free as much as I can and am willing to travel as best I can! This truck lived in northern Chicago all it's its life and I can see it on all the hardware except the new frame...

On with the rust free search!

8. Jul 2, 2020 at 6:26 PM
    sleazy seagull

sleazy seagull Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    ‘20 TRDOR DCSB
    I would also recommend a continued search. My 1st gen had the frame replaced and I think I was blinded by it. You’ll regret it once you started wrenching on it. Every bolt snapped. The body had some rot I overlooked. It’s just not a fun time. If you can afford to wait and you plan to keep it long term it’ll be worth finding the right one. I think I owned mine less than a year before I ditched it.

9. Jul 2, 2020 at 6:34 PM
    Brentthevolunteer

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2002 DCSB SR5 4x4
    The only rush I'm in is self-imposed. I've just been dying for a truck for a while, but I'm also stingy as fuck and if I spend my money on something its going to be what I want and I'm going to hold it a long time and put some love into it.

The only car I've owned is an 04 Mazda 3 I bought right after my 16th bday and it's like 99% rust now, but she still runs true for damn near 17 years old. So basically, if I can track down a diamond in the rough project truck in the next couple months, I'm good.

10. Jul 2, 2020 at 6:46 PM
    centurion

centurion Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD Sport,double cab, 4X4, auto, speedway blue
    Air-Raid air filter, de-badged,custom grill,hood and tailgate struts
    That's funny, yeah having the frame,fuel lines,brake lines, lower control arms, etc,etc changed for free really sucks.....

11. Feb 26, 2023 at 7:13 AM
    vanhalo

vanhalo Well-Known Member

Member:
    I wish I had known this before I bought mine.YESTERDAY
    It wouldn't have changed my mind but it would have been helpful to see the service records.
    Apparently you can just add any VIN number to your account.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2023
    TnShooter[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Feb 26, 2023 at 7:25 AM
    FloTaco

FloTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR DC 4X4
    OP, Toyota’s factory welds aren’t pretty, so the cross member is normal. That shock’s threads were most likely stripped during removal and someone used a nut under the washer to take up the tolerances and compress the bushings. Not a huge deal, easy fix to clean up the threads, but it might be page 1 to a long book of frame swap shenanigans.

I will say there’s an upside to that truck: BARGAINING POWER. If you don’t mind having to potentially correct little mysteries here and there, it could be a good buy. What trim? Double cab? If it’s a 4x4, double cab I personally would be comfortable with paying $10k for a frame-swapped +200k mile truck and only with the dealer’s work warrantied in writing. Otherwise I would continue the search in a dry state. As much as dealers would like you to believe it, 4wd Tacomas are not rare and the market IS cooling off.

Depending on your budget and how much space you need, a brand new Tacoma in the “Utility” SR trim, extended cab, 4wd, 4cyl can be found super affordable. Great engine, great gearing, wonderful blank-canvas truck for around $24k.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2023
  13. Feb 26, 2023 at 7:54 AM
    vanhalo

vanhalo Well-Known Member

Member:
    For reference.
    I just paid $10,500 for a 2007 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner V6 Double Cab with 208,000k miles.
    No frame rust whatsoever. No rust underneath period besides the exhaust.
    Purchased in East, TN ...vehicle spent most of its life in Texas.
    Looks like the transmission was serviced @180k and the Timing and Valve Cover seals replaced at the same time.
    Alternator and Idler Pulley were the only other issues besides the Output Shaft Seal leak.

14. Feb 26, 2023 at 8:20 AM
    Gregory Mills

Gregory Mills New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Northof 49
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma TRD double cab with 300,000 kms
    none
    Thanks, i'm from Northern Ontario Canada where we love our salted roads (NO) . i paid 10,000 CDN$ for an 07 with 250,000km on it 155k miles. absolutely love the truck bought it from a certified toyota tech, the hardest it's worked is carrying kids hockey bags in the back. doesnt use a drop of oil, change it every 5,000km. i've just noticed a frame crack at the left side rail, between the two leaf spring mounts, just about right over the axle roughly. frame isnt broken through, but i'm wondering if there's a repair kit to fishplate the frame? i'm a licenced tech but would have a shop with a hoist to do the repair. just looking for advice from anyone who's been successful in repairing something like this. body is good on the truck and i've just turned 300,000km. / 185,000 miles. it likes it's fuel, however i dont mind paying a bit extra for fuel for something that is common to have well over 500,000km.

15. Feb 26, 2023 at 8:38 AM
    whatstcp

whatstcp currently drunk so don't listen to me

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Fontana, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma Regular Cab 2.7l 4x4
    King + Archive Relocation Wheeler's bumps +hydros
    Safe t cap at the website autorust.com sells plates. Just choose the correct one for where you are repairing, each color is a separate plate in the photo below. I would thoroughly inspect the forward boxed portion of the frame as that usually starts to go by the catalytic converters

upload_2023-2-26_8-38-22.jpg

16. Feb 26, 2023 at 2:39 PM
    burrito782

burrito782 Shit Throwing Ape

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road
    Heads up, this thread is almost 3 years old and OP hasn't been around for 2 years. ;)

17. Feb 26, 2023 at 3:39 PM
    FloTaco

FloTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR DC 4X4
    I had no business looking at TW before my morning coffee….

whatstcp likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top