1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2008 TRD Offroad Frame replacement

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TrailRayted, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Jun 1, 2019 at 8:27 AM
    TrailRayted

TrailRayted [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    Vehicle:
    2008 Rugged Trail Tacoma
    I go by the dealer where my truck is from time to time. It's always moved around. Sometimes it's inside and sometimes outside.No new wheels or tires. One of the tecs told me a week ago they will be doing the new tires and wheels when they do the frame. Just waiting ..waiting....waiting.

2. Jun 1, 2019 at 8:30 AM
    TrailRayted

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    Vehicle:
    2008 Rugged Trail Tacoma
    Thanks for the information and pictures. Has everything been working good? Does the truck feel tight?

3. Jun 1, 2019 at 8:51 AM
    bobsuruncle

bobsuruncle I void warranties

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    back back to Fall City Fall City, WA
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR DCSB
    ARB bull bumper, warn 9000 with synthetic rope, icon CO's & 700lb coils, road armor rear bumper, dakars + Archive Garage shackle flip.
    Truck feels good after the swap and drives straight. I've got a ujoint in the front driveshaft to replace and one of my calipers sticks so I'll be doing a front brake job soon. I found a few things that weren't torqued properly, on major thing being a cam bolt on one of the front lower control arms. A few days after I picked it up it started pulling to the right and I crawled under the truck to see what was up. First thing I noticed was this.

IMG_20190429_214852.jpg

The bolt had loosened up and shifted the alignment causing the pulling to the right. Bent the tab on a BRAND NEW FRAME! :mad::annoyed: I was pissed for a few days but over it now. After that I went over the whole thing with a ratchet and wrench checking for anything else that might have been over looked. My rear bumper wasn't aligned correctly, there's a tight gap on one side and a biiiiig gap on the other. Also noticed the common complaint of more than a few wire harness clips broken and just zip tied back to the frame. A couple of the rubber plugs on the cab floorboard weren't properly reinstalled or even put back in at all. They were just laying under the carpet next to the hole they were supposed to plug.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
  4. Jun 2, 2019 at 8:10 AM
    CatfishCalhoun

CatfishCalhoun Member

Member:
    Rocky View County Alberta Canada
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma TRD
    Toyota mechanic told me they bill 44 hours for a replacement.

NMTrailRider[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Jul 3, 2019 at 7:18 AM
    YotaFamily3

YotaFamily3 Parts Enthusiast =P

Member:
    First Name:
    Megan
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD Sport DCSB Speedway Blue
    UPDATE!!

I took my truck to Summit Toyota of Akron last Wednesday, June 26th. I took new Bilstien 5100 shocks and struts with me along with the other hardware needed. No problems, signed the document saying estimate was $0. They put me in a 2017 Tacoma. Which I like, however the throttle response is horrible. So much hesitation. I miss my truck!
    The first call I received was on Friday. He had a list of recommended repairs and said that if I wanted them to install my struts and use my old coil springs I would have to pay for labor. It sure is crappy but i understand. So they went from $295 to $195 when i called back on Saturday, so I told them to go ahead and do it. Also my MAIN ground cable was not attached at all. They quoted me a new negative cable harness which includes the ground cable. The part alone was $355. :angrygirl: So I said that I would take care of it. After looking around i could not find it cheaper than $279. So i called him back Monday and asked how critical it was since we are going on a 600 mile trip this Sunday. :fingerscrossed: The tech said he could solder it back together properly for $70.

Will be continued.....

TrailRayted[OP] and bobsuruncle like this.
  6. Jul 3, 2019 at 7:29 AM
    Blais03

Blais03 Guess I'll bring a spare wheel bearing...

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Easthampton MA
    Vehicle:
    '08 Reg. Cab 4WD + '06 Reg. Cab 2WD
    YotaFamily3 likes this.
  7. Jul 3, 2019 at 8:22 AM
    YotaFamily3

Member:
    First Name:
    Megan
    Ohio
    Vehicle:

I'm at work and had to leave for a delivery. :cool:

When I first took the truck in, I asked about a TSB for the rear driveshaft. There is a clunk noise when you stop and when you accelerate. Well the tech says that the u joint for the 4x4 is bad??? Im going to have him show me when i pick it up.

TBC....

8. Jul 3, 2019 at 9:11 AM
    YotaFamily3

Member:
    First Name:
    Megan
    Ohio
    Vehicle:

So he said I should have my truck back today. if not then Friday. I am getting a little nervous since i have not heard anything from them today. But we will see.

9. Jul 3, 2019 at 6:57 PM
    TrailRayted

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    Vehicle:
    2008 Rugged Trail Tacoma
    Thanks for the inquiry. I got the truck back Monday. I've been so busy with it I haven't posted anything here. I got new wheels and tires and four new fender flairs as well as the top rails on the bed also new brake drums. That was all on their insurance. The fenders were repaired by paintless dent repair and the job was ok but not great. There are some wrinkles when you catch a glair on them looking down the side of the bed. The jag offs ended up charging me $160 to put the Bilsteins in the front.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    bobsuruncle likes this.
  10. Jul 3, 2019 at 7:10 PM
    ToyotaRacingDev

ToyotaRacingDev SWO Tacoma Enthusiast

Member:
    London, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Thats unreal that they wouldn't comp the bilstein labour

11. Jul 18, 2019 at 6:53 PM
    YotaFamily3

Member:
    First Name:
    Megan
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    I finally got my truck back after three weeks because of work and I was out of state for a week. Everything seems good. I had to pay $235. $195 for them to put my front struts on. $40 for them to run a new ground strap. It was either that or buy the whole new harness for $350+.

I haven’t run in to anything weird yet. Other than the fasteners coming out on the rubber guards in the front wheel wells. I bought more at work today and fixed it.

I’ll update if anything arises.

Oh and the suspension feels so much better!

ToxicTwin likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top