1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2009 Access Cab rear speakers

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by sweater914, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Feb 9, 2009 at 9:22 AM
    sweater914

sweater914 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Dakota
    Vehicle:
    '09 I4 5spd Access Cab Timberland Mica SR5
    Hi guys,

Just picked up my '09 SR5 access cab and low and behold, there are no rear speakers in the doors. The shape of the door panel is different from older years, at least from the DIY thread at the top A/V section. Has anyone dealt with the issue yet? I'd really hate to back date the door panels on a brand new truck.

2. Feb 9, 2009 at 9:36 AM
    jwjknorr

jwjknorr Well-Known Member

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    09 TACO Sr5 Wish i got a 4x4
    Intake,Exhaust, short shifter, ReadyLift
    also wondering Subsribed i want to install rear speakers

3. Feb 9, 2009 at 6:20 PM
    BUK 0H5

BUK 0H5 Still For Sale

Member:
    Queen Creek, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Silver 09 2.7L Manual AccessCab SR5 PreRunner
    Removed Mud Flaps, Suspension TSB, 5100's all around, JVC KW-AVX710 Head Unit with Metra surround.
    From what I can tell the rear speakers are above the back seat in the head liner. Turn your fader all the way to the rear and crank your stereo up (cuz these speakers suck) then feel around the head liner.

4. Feb 9, 2009 at 7:02 PM
    sweater914

Member:
    North Dakota
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, I did that on the 13 hour drive home, the "rear" speakers are useless. The biggest problem I see is the contour of the door panels, they're not flush/flat and there's not an integrated speaker grill. So the speakers would be visible and won't sit flush with the door panel without some sort of adapter/fiberglass work. I would really like to keep the speaker behind the door panel and hoping the '08 and early speaker opening is still exists.

5. Feb 10, 2009 at 6:40 AM
    rahover

rahover Member

Member:
    Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    Vehicle:
    2009 Sport is 6th Toy Truck - 1st 1982
    AFE Pro dry air filter A.R.E. CX cab high cap Factory OEM running boards Husky liners front/rear De-badged Tailgate Sock'd Tailgate Decal
    I did some investigation for my 09.....the rear door panels are available with the speaker grille/cutouts from any discount toyota parts dealer, since they are an OEM part.....if i remember, they were like 130 each side....these would be new, and came in either gray or oak..(tan)....when searching for them, put in 2008 as your year, and those interior panels will show up.....

So you would have to get the rear door trim panels, then run the speaker wires, and then you would have the rear speaker setup that 05-08's have.

There is a pic of the headliner speakers here (search 09 stereo), and they are indeed worthless....about the size of a quarter, and look like computer speakers.

i'm debating if it's worth the expense and trouble....i used to have a regular cab back in 94, and it was fine with front door speakers and rear subwoofer.....i'm thinking i'll just upgrade the head unit, front speakers, and rear sub.....

6. Feb 10, 2009 at 7:59 AM
    sweater914

Member:
    North Dakota
    Vehicle:
    So long as the door panels aren't hideously expensive, I had to buy the driver's side door panel for a '97 F150 and paid about $400. I want to try and keep the speakers hidden, per stock. I've got my wish list of DLS components, amp, Eclipse head unit, and JL stealthbox. It's a long way from purchasing items, exterior stuff comes first. The door panels will just have to be added to the list. I need to build a card board box in the dimensions of the amp I plan to purchase and make sure it fits under the driver's seat.

Toyota must of saved a bundle by changing the speaker location and size. The rear speakers on the '09's are directly above the front seats, adjacent to the dome light. To hear them I ran the fader full rear and cranked the volume on the stock stero to about 40 before they made any significant noise. Not impressed. Love the rest of the truck though.:)

7. Feb 15, 2009 at 7:22 PM
    goin3d

goin3d Member

Member:
    Rahover,
    Are you saying you think the rear door panels for an 08 would fit an 09? (i've having the same challenge as sweater914 but really wanted to use the xtreme kreations panels that do not fit the 09's :(

Why toyota decide to put those aweful 2 inch speakers in the headliner is beyond me :(

8. Feb 15, 2009 at 7:33 PM
    rahover

rahover Member

Member:
    Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    Vehicle:
    2009 Sport is 6th Toy Truck - 1st 1982
    AFE Pro dry air filter A.R.E. CX cab high cap Factory OEM running boards Husky liners front/rear De-badged Tailgate Sock'd Tailgate Decal
    I don't see why they wouldn't fit. Under the door panels, the inner structure still has the factory cutouts for the speakers, with a plastic cover over them.....

Unless they made some change due to the side curtain airbags or such? (doubtful.....)

I cannot say for sure, but i don't see a logical reason why the 05-08 rear door panels would not fit.....

9. Feb 15, 2009 at 8:20 PM
    bass mechanic

bass mechanic Well-Known Member

Member:
    colorado springs, colorado
    Vehicle:
    2009 tacoma Access cab TRD offroad in black
    none
    FYI I also just bought a 09 tacma AC yesterday and noted the same issue, however after nearly 15 years of experience from back in the day i am going to cut the panels along the mark already there and use the peice to make my own grille. when i get done it will look better than stock and it wont cost hardly anything

what i plan to do is cut the part out that looks like a semi rectangular grove line in the panel. then using a heat gun soften the ABS and allow it to cool while in contact with the factory cut out peice. this will allow it to take the same and curve as the stock cut out. then i will laminate the plastic to the front side of the cut out peice that is about 1/8" wider on all sides. with some epoxy

next i will drill holes in the peice for the sound to come through. i will either epoxy or weld some plactis tabs on the back side so it wont fall off.

using some black grille cloth i will cover the peice so as to hide the holes and then slip the finished peice back into the panel and using the 1 plastic factory snap in fastner and a screw on the hinge side of the door it should look like a factory grille. im going with black as a nice contrast like the other areas of the interior because i am pretty sure im not going to find any gray the right color.

ill let you guys know how it came out when i get done.

10. Feb 16, 2009 at 10:56 AM
    sweater914

Member:
    North Dakota
    Vehicle:
    I'd be interested in pics when you've finished the work. I'm still leaning with back dating the door panels and sell the original pieces. I've checked some of the discount OEM retailers, about $190 per side, and currently only the gray panels are available not the tan one's that I need. I've got enough stuff to keep busy for awhile, the stero upgrade is near the bottom of the list unfortunately.

11. Feb 16, 2009 at 12:09 PM
    goin3d

goin3d Member

Member:
    Sweater914,
    If it helps any i found the rear panels on this site: http://www.alltoyotatrucksuvparts.com/

for 125 per side (the site is a little tough to navigate so i don't know if they have anymore than the grey ones)

12. Feb 19, 2009 at 8:34 PM
    DanNolan

DanNolan Member

Member:
    Louisiana
    DNX5120Nav, Raammat throughout, IDXS65 Components, Fogs Installed, Scooped Hood Install
    anyone got a pic of the rear door panels from an 09?

I got some 08s with extreme kreations mounted and may consider a trade with some cash thrown in.

Products Discussed in

To Top