1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2009 Back Up Camera Thoughts

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by BeefTaco, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Jul 22, 2008 at 6:09 PM
    BeefTaco

BeefTaco [OP] WESTern Alliance: NORCAL COAST

Member:
    Santa Cruz County Ca.
    I have had a chance to play around with a few 09's in the last few days seeing what I missed out on and what I am glad I missed out on when I bought my 08. In my opinion if you want a back up camera set up then buy and aftermarket one with a big screen boy the integrated display unit in the rear view mirror is only a 2"X4" LCD screen and for my old eyes a not worth it option for me. If you have the sun hitting the windshield and your eyes it is sure hard to look at that little screen and trying to back up at the same time. What is cool is the location of the back up camera integrated in the tail gate handle. I bought a handle for my buddy he is working on a bracket for a pioneer camera to be mounted in the tail gate handle should be a clean mod. I have a picture of the handle I took with my camera phone but none of the ones for the display screen were worth a crap to show you guys because the screen is to small. :p

Just My Thoughts

[​IMG]

2. Jul 22, 2008 at 6:22 PM
    linkfeeney

linkfeeney Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    link the stink!
    Sewell, NJ Eh!
    Vehicle:
    09 Doublecab TRD Off-Road! Magnetic Grey!
    the problem I'm having is... if i get the 09 with the back up camera... and since the tacoma tailgate does not have a lock.... and if i want to put a lock in... uhhh what about the camera??? the tailgate does not have a lock is such a big flaw and so easy to fix... unreal!

3. Jul 22, 2008 at 6:48 PM
    raycie

raycie Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oahu, HI
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB / 2016 4R Trail
    In need of $$$
    My wife's Murano has a camera and utilizes the screen in the center to show the picture. I wonder what the set-up is for the camera. Is there the long cord running along the bottom of the bed and into the cab? If so, you could just get the same thing from some auto parts store/audio store (minus the tailgate handle). If the camera plugs into something in the back and is a OEM setup, I would consider it...
    If it could be even put into a '07..

4. Jul 22, 2008 at 7:21 PM
    SilverMac

SilverMac Mine's the silver one...

Member:
    Keller, TX
    Vehicle:
    2008 PreRunner DC SR5
    I was looking at some '09s yesterday, and my dealer said that it shouldn't be too hard to put the system on an 05-08 model... I'm sure it would cost a lot. The mirror is bulkier than ours, but I like the option. You would think that with so many tailgates being stolen, that they would put a lock on the 09+ if there is a camera in there:confused:

5. Jul 22, 2008 at 7:30 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    if u want a camera system on any vehicle, u'd be way cheaper and prolly better off by going aftermarket and getting it that route. i already have the pioneer n1, so all i'd have to do is buy a $150 backup camera and mount it up. i'm gonna see about what it would take to split the feed off the camera and send one feed to the mirror and another to my head unit

6. Jul 22, 2008 at 8:19 PM
    MPhipps

MPhipps Member

Member:
    I have an '09 with the camera and I have to say it is only good for backing up to a trailer. It does come in handy for aligning the hitch.

As for the issue of an after market lock, I am looking into whether the electric version of the Pop-N-Lock will clear. Even the manufacture is not sure yet as they haven't had an '09 to test.
    I might just bit the bullet and try it out.

7. Sep 24, 2008 at 12:45 PM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge
    I wonder how that little fella performs with some snow on it? As we have snow on the roads 4 months out of the year here it seems.

8. Sep 24, 2008 at 1:04 PM
    tdm156

tdm156 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2009 DC 4x4 SR5**Sold
    Not sure how it will work with snow or ice but I would say that picture is going to be blurry...I know mine shows the water drops really nice when its raining!

9. Sep 24, 2008 at 1:33 PM
    norcalbb11

norcalbb11 Nor*Cal

Member:
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    09 Taco Sport 4x4
    flowmaster 40 series, tinted windows, airaid CAI, removed 2nd filter, aries black bull bar
    when i bought my truck i didnt even realize it had a back up camera never thought i would use it but it actually comes in handy haha

10. Sep 24, 2008 at 1:51 PM
    aww1970

aww1970 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD Long Box
    I find it handy. First off having it integrated in the mirror makes sense- that is where I am looking when in reverse. I don't rely on it but it is a nice safety feature.

11. Sep 24, 2008 at 4:27 PM
    09tacoma

09tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    OKC
    Vehicle:
    4x4 off road
    access tonneau cover, smitty built side steps
    It came free with every package so i think it is a cool deal. Not something i went out and got the truck for but it is a cool bonus

12. Sep 24, 2008 at 5:22 PM
    Taco's for All

Taco's for All Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lake George, NY
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Off Road Double Cab
    Nothing at the moment
    YES, there is a cord that runs down from the bottom of the tailgate and then follows the frame to the cab via other wire looms and then up and in. I haven't traced it all the way into the cab but that is essentially how it works. The dealer gives you this nice plastic plug for both ends of the factory plug in case you want to take your tailgate off.

13. Sep 25, 2008 at 5:44 AM
    Shark

Shark Nobody's Hero

Member:
    N.E. Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2021 MGM TRD OR DCSB
    Not sure I would have invested in one but it came with the TRD package and I do like it. It is the best?..no, but it is helpful.

14. Sep 26, 2008 at 2:29 PM
    Impala1ss

Impala1ss Member

Member:
    I like mine but the perspective is.....WOW.

15. Sep 26, 2008 at 2:57 PM
    Caddmannq

Caddmannq MotoNerd

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner TRD Sport DC LB
    Undercover toneau
    I like my camera, but I too think the display is too small.

Products Discussed in

To Top