1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2009 "safety" options

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by mojo22, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Sep 8, 2008 at 8:48 PM
    mojo22

mojo22 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Rochester, Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Off Road
    Yep, backwards--confirmed against an 09 Highlander tonight. I get the truck back after a rattle fix and XM install and the salesman is going to try to find out what the deal is. More tomorrow.

Here is some information on the various drive system: www.toyotaiguide.com

Right now need to look at FJ C page.

TC

2. Sep 9, 2008 at 2:12 PM
    mojo22

mojo22 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Rochester, Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Off Road
    My dealership called in to Toyota's tech line and was told that they know about the wipers and "that's the way it is supposed to be" meaning that all 2009s have it that way. Whether that is true for all 2009 Toyotas or just Tacomas, needs to be looked into.

Oh, and they told me XM fit kit hasn't been shipped yet for the Tacoma. ???? At least they fixed the rattle in the headliner and are going to come to my work to pick up the truck themselves when the fit kit comes in to install it ...

3. Sep 9, 2008 at 2:16 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    it was the complete opposite way on my 07. so either they need to fix all the ones before, or ix this one the way it needs to be

4. Sep 9, 2008 at 3:01 PM
    TacoCo

TacoCo Aspiring wrench monkey

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road DC V6 Magnetic Gray
    Snugtop XV Shell, Yakima Rack, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed, Michelin AT2's, Partially Debadged, HID conversion, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, Rear leaf spring TSB, Foglights always on Mod, URD Short Throw Shifter, Toytec Coilovers on the way!
    lol... it was the complete opposite way on my '98, so I have a hard time believing that they've suddenly decided to reverse them.

5. Sep 9, 2008 at 3:03 PM
    Caddmannq

Caddmannq MotoNerd

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner TRD Sport DC LB
    Undercover toneau
    Just goes to show that even engineers can be dyslexic. :)

6. Dec 31, 2008 at 6:03 AM
    wildtrax1

wildtrax1 Active Member

Member:
    GA
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 TRD OffRoad
    I noticed the wipers being backwards too on my new 09 Tacoma. I asked my wife to look at it and see if I was seeing things correctly and she said she thought is was backwards too.

7. Jan 10, 2009 at 6:37 PM
    Soundwave

Soundwave Well-Known Member

Member:
    B.C. Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD sport Double Cab 4x4
    OEM Roof rack

ive been driving my awesome 09 4 cylinder 4x4 for the last few days now and its proving to be a great machine! Im pleased with the power so far. All the 09's are equipped with A-trac, and stability control.Like you, Im still having trouble wrapping my head around this system too. The owners manuel doesnt really explain what it all does very clearly either. I do know in the bit of snow a slush that I have driven in, with all the systems in the default "on" mode, it really cuts the power when the wheels start to spin, in 2WD or 4WD. THis might be good for situations where you don't expect it to get slippery and could save you from spinning out. But when you want to hit the throttle and blast through some snow its really a pain in the ass! It feels like the motor is dieing on you and then you really get stuck! But, it most slippery situations it does get you going when in 2WD.

8. Jan 10, 2009 at 8:22 PM
    nvdeserted

nvdeserted Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD OR Access Cab
    Electric Dynolock tailgate, TrailGear Slides, , 285/75-16 Yoko Geolanders on Wheelers Type B, SAW 2.0 front and back, Camburg b/j UCA, 1.5" AAL, Ubolt flip, ARB bump.
    I have all that stuff too. Not sure what most of it does. The downhill assist will be a hard one to trust form me. But here goes: The traction control thing ATRAC is always on automatically (unless you are in 4lo) and I have found that it works great in snow and slippery stuff for keeping the truck on track. When to turn this off and go with the LSD is mainly when you are off road: Say you are climbing a slippery hill in 4hi, with ATRAC on when the wheels slip the truck will basically think you are sliding out of control on the highway or something and will end up braking/stopping the spinning wheels and kill your chances of making up that hill ( it will be concerned with gaining control, not necessarily traction); so you disable ATRAC and now it defaults to LSD, this will help to shift power from slipping wheels to planted wheels (in theorey) by braking the spinning wheel and will allow you to put more power to the ground without the truck thinking you're out of control. The Locker: people always talk about using it when you are stuck, but if you forsee something that could stop you from going any furthur, you should engage the locker before you get there. For example, the other day wheeling in the mountains, I came to a section with some cement like slushy snow on a fairly steep climb, I knew it was too soft to stay on top of, and I knew the trail underneath was still firm/rocky with good traction, to get through it I wanted to have the tires spinning so as to dig down through the snow and get traction underneath, I engaged the locker and both rear wheels would just spin and dig away until I hit the surface below, and since both tires were spinning if one got traction sooner (thinnner snow) I would progress forward instead of just having the spinning tire dig a big hole in the groud if I wasn't locked. The locker is also handy on those eroded hills where it's a climb with basically large speedbumps running diagonally across it; it can be done without the locker but is real rough as you fight for traction while the truck is bouncing side to side, with the locker you are able to climb slower and with better traction saving your passengers and truck unnecessary abuse.

9. Jan 10, 2009 at 9:32 PM
    freesample

freesample Well-Known Member

Member:
    Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport LB
    Visors, Deflector, Husky Liners, too expsensive for good ones :(
    after reading alot about the trac, atrac, vsc, brake assist, lsd and blah blah blah... here what i have learned:

1. drive slow when slippery - abs is scary yet very usful
    2. if stuck in 2hi use 4hi
    3. if stuck in 4hi use 4low
    4. if you want to have fun in 2hi or 4 hi without vsc bugging you (not letting you spinout and beeping)... hold the "car with the squigly lines" button for 3 seconds

10. Jan 11, 2009 at 1:06 AM
    luni

luni Resident Gun-toting Hippie

Member:
    First Name:
    Burt's Mustache
    Ft Bragg, NC
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR
    Icon c/os, TSB 4 leaf pack, Unbreakable Fab tube winch bumper, Mile Marker SEC12000, Roadless Gear winch control panel, Bud Built skids, URD Pipe Bomb Y pipe, snorkeled rear diff breather, no carpet
    VSC - keeps tires from breaking loose at speed, like spinning out around a corner
    TRAC - Active safety control that keeps your wheels from spinning out, like if you give it to much gas from a standing start. It will brake the wheel that's slipping.
    Auto LSD - Not actually a LSD. You're telling the computer to control wheeling braking AND throttle to maintain traction. Instead of just braking with VSC/TRAC

*Holding down the VSC Off Button for 3 seconds turns all of these systems off*

ATRAC turns on automatically when you engage 4Lo and only in 4Lo. You can turn it off and on in 4Lo with the ATRAC button. The system uses 2 sensors on each wheel to detect slipping and applies braking to the individual wheel while maintaining torque. It keeps your tires from loosing traction without loosing power. It can act kind of like a locker by braking the floating wheel to send power to the stuffed wheel but it still isn't a locker.

IT DOES WORK WITH THE REAR DIFF LOCKED. ATRAC will only control wheel spin on the front wheels, because obviously the back wheels are locked.

In my experience pushing buttons and driving through stuff, good luck breaking the wheels loose with VSC/TRAC enabled. I tried tearing up a set of worn out tires last week and could barely get more than a chirp before the traction control stopped the slipping.

Auto LSD is great for partially snowy conditions. When you don't want to be in 4wd since there is dry pavement but you still might have to start from built up snow or slush. It'll keep you from trying to take off to fast and apply power as soon as it detects traction again.

With ATRAC on and the rear diff locked, stock, I was rolling through mud holes that I had to floor it through in my lifted LSD 07 on 33" all terrains.

All the systems do basically the same stuff, they just do it a little differently. If you mess with them and get them to engage and see exactly how they respond the differences will become more apparent.

Why use ATRAC and a locked rear diff? It's the closest you'll get to a front locker without a front locker. Once wheels start spinning with an open diff all your power goes to the wheel with no traction. By braking that wheel it keeps things balanced and maintains traction. Turning can be hard with the rear locked so don't be afraid to only use the rear locker when you need it and rely on ATRAC the rest of the time.
    When AUTO LSD vs. locked rear diff? Street vs. soupy, twisted wheelin?
    Do you have to be in L4 to use lock? Can you be in 2wd? Stock, you have to be in 4Lo. Grey wire mod fixes that. Not idea if it's any different in the 09s.
    What is the difference between ATRAC and TRAC? See above.

And from a practical point of view ... which mode or combination of modes are best in the following situations? (i.e. when should I take it out of the standard mode). Assume that I want to take advantage of the electronics and not depend on 4wd and skill.

1) Driving in snow in the hills, sliding around. 4Hi
    2) Slowly driving on city streets in ice/snow/crud. Stop signs, turns, etc. Auto LSD
    3) Driving on highway at faster speeds in snow and ice. Regular VSC/TRAC and common sense
    4) Stuck in a ditch. 4Lo ATRAC/Locker. Good luck getting the locker to engage if you're to stuck to wiggle the rear diff so everything lines up.
    5) Pulling out someone stuck in snow when the roads are bad too. 4Lo and ATRAC, maybe locker
    6) Bogged down in mud. 4Lo ATRAC/Locker
    7) Pulling boat up steep slippery ramp. 4Lo ATRAC

11. Jan 11, 2009 at 11:07 AM
    Soundwave

Member:
    B.C. Canada
    Vehicle:
    OEM Roof rack
    Thats great Luni! Thanks for helping to clarify these traction control systems. Its great to experiment with them too and get used to how they respond.

12. Jan 13, 2009 at 7:14 AM
    luni

luni Resident Gun-toting Hippie

Member:
    First Name:
    Burt's Mustache
    Ft Bragg, NC
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR
    Icon c/os, TSB 4 leaf pack, Unbreakable Fab tube winch bumper, Mile Marker SEC12000, Roadless Gear winch control panel, Bud Built skids, URD Pipe Bomb Y pipe, snorkeled rear diff breather, no carpet
    ATRAC doesn't activate in 4Hi. Makes sense since the 4Hi governor is set a 45mph. ATRAC at 45 doesn't really make sense.

13. Jan 13, 2009 at 8:08 AM
    freesample

Member:
    Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    just wondering... is ATRAC a button controlled thing or is it automatic... i have the 09 trd sport double cab..dont see an atrac button

14. Jan 13, 2009 at 8:09 AM
    TacoCo

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Snugtop XV Shell, Yakima Rack, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed, Michelin AT2's, Partially Debadged, HID conversion, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, Rear leaf spring TSB, Foglights always on Mod, URD Short Throw Shifter, Toytec Coilovers on the way!
    The ATRAC button is next to the mp3 input.

15. Jan 13, 2009 at 8:09 AM
    freesample

Member:
    Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    yeah it should be but it isn't hmm

16. Jan 13, 2009 at 8:11 AM
    freesample

Member:
    Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    i notice yours is off road... mine is sport..maybe thats why... we have the same color one though! woo

17. Jan 13, 2009 at 8:12 AM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    sports dont have ATRAC. we have the regular TRAC, i think, that is a button that looks like a car swerving in the button section to the left of the steering wheel....or maybe thats the VSC button...i dont remember, but i do know that sports dont have ATRAC

18. Jan 13, 2009 at 8:27 AM
    TacoCo

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    While we're on the topic of '09 safety options, I've had some issues with my electronic brake assist, or perhaps just braking in general, over the last week or so. Last week, on a couple of occasions, when I depressed the brake pedal I had to depress it further than usual to get the brakes to engage. It freaked me out a little bit on one of the occurrences because I was approaching a stopped vehicle from behind, and it effectively delayed my stopping reaction time, and I got a little closer than comfortable before I really laid on the pedal and the brakes kicked in. Then yesterday, the exact opposite thing happened. I went to brake, lightly pressing on the brake pedal (I'm assuming the EBA kicked in), and it was essentially like I had slammed on the brakes. I came to a quick and sudden stop. It's somewhat concerning... At the very least, I'm thinking that my brakes probably need to be bled.

19. Jan 13, 2009 at 7:22 PM
    Soundwave

Member:
    B.C. Canada
    Vehicle:
    OEM Roof rack
    You should get that into the Dealer ASAP to check it out. That doesnt seem right at all!

Products Discussed in

To Top