1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2009 Taco Fuel Info

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tmyer2, Mar 10, 2010.

1. Mar 10, 2010 at 6:40 AM
    tmyer2

tmyer2 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris & Natalie
    2009 Double Cab TRD-Off Road Silver

First, thank you all for your help and passion about taking care of what you have! I plan on owning this truck till the wheels fall off and with your help I think that it is going to be a long time from now!

Question: I have been scouring the site for info on how to make my truck more fuel efficient. I am a concervative driver, I have changed out the air filter with the high flow model, and am considering a scan-gauge. I recently rode in a buddy's 2007 toyota mini-van and his overhead info-panel had everything a person would want to know about fuel economy standard!

• Why the hell does my truck not have this information built in when the mini van does?
    Just because I am a truck owner doesnt mean I dont care about fuel consumption.

• Is the scan-gauge worth the $?
    Thanks!

2. Mar 10, 2010 at 7:07 AM
    Mark C.

Mark C. If you want it bad, you usually get it bad!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM SR5 4WD AC
    LED Dome, Reed Switched LEDs in Glove Box and Center Console, Bumper Fogs, Tailgate anti-theft, LEDs over Cig lighter, Back-up camera anytime, Outside Temp add-on, Hidden GPS power, Sockmonkey 3rd Brakelight decal, 4X4 switch illumination, reed switch controlled engine compartment Flood LEDs, Elite Hitch Cover, Plasti-dipped cupholders and door switch control panels, Elite Hitch Cover.
    Welcome. I can't answer your questions other than be mindful of how you drive. I am in a different situation with a 4-banger and MT. Someone will jump in here though, and there are other threads that address this particular question.
    Good luck and enjoy TW!

3. Mar 10, 2010 at 7:21 AM
    HondaGM

HondaGM CallSign Monke

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2023 access cab V6
    welcome to tw.i have an 09 dc 4.0 4x4 sb,it drinks more gas than an eighteen wheeler.if you figure out how to get more than 20mpg please let me know.

4. Mar 10, 2010 at 7:28 AM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    Welcome :wave:
    The ScanGauge will help in that it makes it very easy to keep track of your MPG. I run mid grade gas and my average MPG is 20 ish. I have done as high as 22 on the highway loaded for vacation (truck was loaded, not the driver).
    90% of my driving is on the street, 40 to 50 MPH.

5. Mar 10, 2010 at 9:01 AM
    lembowski

lembowski Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Rolando, CA
    Vehicle:
    Jeeper Creeper
    My scangauge over the last few tanks has me around 16-19 mpg. I drive mostly city stop and go driving. I'd say its pretty accurate, and I look at it quite often to find that sweet spot in mileage.

6. Mar 10, 2010 at 9:20 AM
    dog tired

dog tired Well-Known Member

Member:
    NE Ohio
    Does the van have 9 traction modes ?

I am wagering Toyota spent money on that kind of stuff instead of do dads

7. Mar 10, 2010 at 9:23 AM
    81shark

81shark Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Base Access CP1
    i use excel

8. Mar 10, 2010 at 9:57 AM
    MStef66

MStef66 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    CT
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma D-Cab 4X4
    Stock
    I just got back from a trip from CT to TN and back. I averaged about 18.5 MPG but my best tank was 19.9 MPG. I got this by running at a pretty steady 68 MPH as indicated by my GPS. Use the cruise control but cancel when you come to hills to avoid the down shift. My best tank was BP 87 octane FWIW.

For a truck, I find this more than acceptable and the trip was extremely comfortable. I am curious to see how the mileage drops when I tow my 2 motorcycles to TN in May.

9. Mar 10, 2010 at 11:18 AM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
    Seems like the "sweet spot" for the 4.0 regardless of 2wd or 4x4 is 2K rpms. That should be about 55 mph on a 6spd and 67 on an auto. Try shifting and driving at or below 2K and see the difference.

10. Mar 10, 2010 at 11:32 AM
    Joe in the hills

Joe in the hills Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Cleveland, SC
    Vehicle:
    Timberline Mica SR5 TRD Offroad Towing Pk
    TJM Bull Bar Bumper, 7100 Bilstiens on FE, 4 Leaf Spring Retro
    Yup, keep it between 1.5 to 2K I get 20 MPG combo of City & Hwy.
    Last weekend got on the Interstate and drove 70 to 75 MPH and it dropped off to 17.5 MPG.

11. Apr 3, 2010 at 2:05 PM
    cSHIone

cSHIone New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christine
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 4x4 Black
    3" Body Lift. Side Steps. Bull Bar. 1.5" Wheel Spacers. Mounted CB. Removed carbon filter. Self-maintained.
    kind of makes cruise useless on a trip from CT to TN :)

I use 89 Octane and I drive from TN to KS via interstate every couple months at approx 75 mph. Truck empty other than myself and light luggage I average almost 17 mpg. For a 4x4 I am extremely happy w/ that number. I use cruise control the entire drive (other than the obvious heavy traffic or rain).

Products Discussed in

To Top