1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2009 Tacoma D-Cab TRD Sport with Bilstein 2.5 lift

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by rodp, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Oct 6, 2009 at 3:17 PM
    rodp

rodp [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2009 SR5 V6 4x4
    Bilstein 5100s set at 2.5 front Bilstein 5100s rear Alcan 2" AAL Light Racing UCAs Toytec differential drop kit Toytec axle shims Undercover Tonneau
    So yesterday I went to Kal Tire here in Calgary to get an alignment after installing my Bilstein 5100s at 2.5". I told them my truck just had a 2.5" suspension lift installed in the front and needed an alignment. The guy on the counter said they are familiar with lifted trucks and that they can align it properly. Rather than wait a few hours I went back to work but upon return a few hours later I found that they did not get it right. The ride and humm from the tires told me something was wrong. The first sheet shows the specs after the first alignment. I did not even know what specs were yesterday nor where they should be set until my search last night. I figured a reputable shop would know what to do.

I called Kal Tire on my way home to tell them there is something wrong as the tires were humming and I was told my tires were the issue and to come back in and they will show me why. He also said that lifted trucks should follow the same specs as stock trucks. I asked if he was kidding and he said he was not. To me the physics never made any sense. So I did my research last night and went back to the shop this morning. I may have drove maybe 80-90 kms to home then Kal Tire after the lift and before the alignment so I could not see the humming being from the tires as the truck is an '09 TRD Sport with 13K on it and only a short distance was driven before the alignment shop.

I showed the guy on the desk the camber on the wheels as it was noticeably off. He said my tires are cupped and I will always have the humm. I disaggred and said ok whatever but can you align the truck properly as it has a lift. He asked me if I knew the specs for the lift and I told him 0 - Toe, 0 - Camber and 2.4-2.5 Caster as I read in one of Chris's previous posts on here. He said he will do it, it will wreck the suspension but sign here - so I did. The second sheet is the second alignment and I still don't think it is spot on but after talking to the teck he said it was the best he could do and that he was at its max. I am still getting the humm from the tires.

Can you let me know what you think of the alignment and if driving a short distance off camber can ruin you tires? They look new still. Do I need new UCAs? Most of the posts that I have read referred to Total Chaos UCAs for $700. I don't off road much other than a fishing trip here and there so I would rather not. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Rod

Attached Files:

2. Oct 6, 2009 at 10:44 PM
    sincitytaco

sincitytaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Off-Road 2wd Cement Grey
    Bilstein 6112/5160 set at notch 2/3, OEM TRD Pro Wheels, 275/70/17 Falken Wildpeaks, OEM TRD Pro Grill, Debadged, Ceramic Tinted Windows
    thats about as good as you are going to get with stock UCA.

Products Discussed in

To Top