1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2009 Tacoma DC TRD w/towing package

Discussion in 'Towing' started by mxranger, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Aug 16, 2008 at 11:45 AM
    mxranger

mxranger [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hello, I am new to this great forum and have a question about suspension TSB.
    I had a 2005 Tundra V-8 EX cab, non TRD but w/towing package, which dragged around my kids 2 dirtbikes (truck bed) and a 24 foot 5,500 # trailer (loaded) with no issues(other than gas gauge fell fast................)

Have a good WD hitch and brake controller.

I am concerned that I might need TSB done or airbags, now I only have 300 miles on my truck, so no loads til atleast 1,000 miles on odo.

My question is, anyone who had a similar set-up and could offer up any ideas?

Thx
    Mxranger

2. Aug 20, 2008 at 4:31 AM
    maverick491

maverick491 Towing Guru

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Access Cab, TRD off road, 6 cyl, 6 spd
    Activator III brake controller, Extang Fulltilt toneau, Factory bed mat, Extra D-rings in the bed, 2ndary air filter removed, Garmin Ique GPS, Eco-2, AFE Pro Dry-s filter, USASPEC PA12-toy, Pioneer 3-way speakers, SG II on Blendmount, Gulf States Alarm added.
    Seems kind of up in the air if the 08's and 09's need the rear suspension TSB done. They are not listed on the TSB as of yet, but some people have gotten them done (You will have to have a service manager who doesn't completely suck and you'll have to bitch really loudly. There are others who claim that their trucks have a re-designed 3 leaf set-up and that their springs hold up to the correct weight.

Fo my part as for the first hand input. I have seen my 07 with the original 3 leaf set up bottom out over very small bumps with 12 60lb bags of concrete in the bed 720lbs is far below what she is rated for, so I will likely be heading to the dealer to address this this weekend as I have to go pick-up concrete again and will detour past the dealer on the way back from home depot.

Drop the trailer on and get your weight distribution hitch set up, and see what you come up with, as it seems there is no concrete information on the 09's as of yet.

Regards,

3. Aug 20, 2008 at 1:08 PM
    SamSter0077

SamSter0077 Happy Camper

Member:
    Katy, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD OR
    OME 886 Coils, and Struts, Rear Toytec TSB AAL/ OME shock absorbers, Fog Lamp anytime mod, Voyager Brake Controller.
    07 Tacoma DC SR5 w/o Towing Package.. I put a brake controller in, and a Valley Industries hitch. Currently tow a Fleetwood Niagara loaded, about 4000lbs. I had bottoming out problems at low speeds on bumpy roads. Just got the TSB done, and no more problems. Truck rides a little rougher, but very tight. I think it gives me about another 1" or so when loaded as to compared to without it.

Also - Was towing in 4th gear all the time (using Cruise) got 13-14mpg, switched to 5 gear (CANNOT USE CRUISE) and speed up on back side of hills, and don't accelerate when going up them. my speed Yo-Yo's but, get 16+mpg like that. Texas Hill Country, so nothing drastic.

If you never bottom out now, probably bags are what you need..

-Sam

4. Aug 26, 2008 at 5:05 AM
    mxranger

mxranger [OP] New Member

Member:
    Good news, Tacoma towed our rig to the races last weekend and did an awesome job.
    The truck seemed to do a better job than my old Tundra did............
    I think the longer wheelbase improved the ride and handling, V-6 does not have the low end of V-8 but mid-range pull seemed better.

4th gear 2,500rpm @ 60mph(100kph) avg. 12mpg never used OD
    Using 89 octane seemed to improve power with a load.....maybe knock sensor cuts some timing when using 87 octane??
    Use 87 for day to day.

May consider some helper leafs maybe once the truck gets some miles on it.

:) Mxranger

PS: I love the tailgate mounted back-up camera.......

5. Aug 28, 2008 at 11:25 AM
    SamSter0077

SamSter0077 Happy Camper

Member:
    Katy, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD OR
    OME 886 Coils, and Struts, Rear Toytec TSB AAL/ OME shock absorbers, Fog Lamp anytime mod, Voyager Brake Controller.
    Awesome MXRANGER! There is a guy in one of these forums that installed Air Bags, looks good... You may want to read the forum on the secondary air filter.. I just removed mine, and will be towing tomorrow. Will let you know how it goes Tuesday.

if it comes out, or you can talk your dealer into doing the TSB.. it helped me a BUNCH with the weight in the rear.

Thanks for the feedback,
    Sam

To Top