1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2010 Tacoma 5-Speed Manual Trans Slip

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by rrowley, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Dec 19, 2011 at 5:47 PM
    rrowley

rrowley [OP] New Member

Member:
    cap
    I am having problems with my 2010 Tacoma 5-Speed Manual Transmission slipping when going up hills in 2-5 gear. The problem is that it does it sporadicly. I first noticed it when I was accelerating in 2nd gear, later it did the same in 3rd and 4th while accerlerating. Now, while the cruise control is on, going up a hill (that the truck normally has no problem going up) in 5th, the transmission start slipping causing the RPMs to rise quickly then as if the clutch grabbed again, the RPM drop back down to normal then climbs back up and then back down to normal again until I get to the top of the hill. I took my truck to the dealership who did a test drive on flat ground and stated they could not find any problems with the transmission or truck. This is my 2nd Tacoma which also had the 5-speed Manual and had over 155,000 miles on it. I never had any problems with the transmission or clutch on that truck. Anyone else have this problem or have a solution to this problem?

2. Dec 19, 2011 at 5:49 PM
    crainholio

crainholio Well-Known Member

Member:
    155K miles on the stock clutch? If so, it's likely due for replacement.

3. Dec 19, 2011 at 5:52 PM
    Juggernaut

Juggernaut Captain

Member:
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    18 PreRunner TRD OffRoad DCSB
    If under warranty, take it to toyota, if it has 155k miles on it, then that sounds about right for a replacement. It is a wear item after all.

4. Dec 19, 2011 at 7:39 PM
    TnShooter

TnShooter The TacomaWorld Stray

Member:
    First Name:
    Deogee
    Vehicle:
    07' TRD Off-Road, Auto
    STOCK
    Sounds like the clutch. I'm confussed as to the amount of miles you have on the current truck (the one with the problem)

If it is a low milage truck (2500 or less) there could be a small chance it is the pressure plate that has collapsed. I've seen this happen once in 14 years. But it wasn't a Toyota.
    I honestly think the Tacoma trucks have some of the best clutches.

5. Dec 20, 2011 at 10:38 AM
    rrowley

rrowley [OP] New Member

Member:
    cap
    The truck with the slippage has only 3300 miles on it. My previous Tacoma is the one with 155,000 which I never had a clutch problem with.

6. Dec 20, 2011 at 6:17 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    It wouldn't be the first early failure posted on here for a 2nd Gen. I remember seeing someone else that I know was under 10K when his went.

I am wondering how much longer the clutch in my 09 Tacoma at work is going to last. It's been squealing on engagement for the last 20K miles. It's almost at 60K.

It sucks, but should be a straight forward fix at the dealer.

7. Dec 21, 2011 at 3:59 AM
    crainholio

crainholio Well-Known Member

Member:
    In that case, it's under warranty. Take that sucker to the dealer and have a coffee while they fix it. :D

8. Dec 22, 2011 at 3:23 PM
    pheyup33

pheyup33 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Long Beach, Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    Bone Stock
    none at this time.
  9. Jan 11, 2012 at 10:13 AM
    rrowley

rrowley [OP] New Member

Member:
    cap
    After taking the truck to the dealership the first time, they too told me that they could not duplicate the problem and that there was nothing wrong with the truck. I too drove my Tacoma another two weeks feeling it slip everytime I accelerated or went up a hill, I took it back to the dealer. This time the foreman test drove the pickup with me in it. He only took it down a road that he could not go over 25 mph and then stated that the clutch did feel mushy and needed to be fixed. He place it under a different TSB though. One stating that the clutch is noisy at idle. I just called the dealer back as they currently have my truck giving them the TSB that you gave me. Hopefully when he calls back I will have good news.

10. Jan 12, 2012 at 7:11 AM
    pheyup33

pheyup33 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Long Beach, Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    Bone Stock
    none at this time.
    I was just so thankful that the dealership here fixed the problem with no hassels, well, after they got the clutch to slip. I was so ready for them to blame me for operator error. Glad it's working out for you, the only thing that got me burning up about it all was that the dealer did not take my word that my clutch was slipping. On one hand I understand, you can't fix a problem when you can't produce a problem. On the other hand I know when a clutch is slipping and I felt like they thought I was out of my mind, thats what got me going.

Take care Buddy.

11. Jan 18, 2012 at 2:16 PM
    Stick Sh1ft

Stick Sh1ft Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Southern IL
    Vehicle:
    11 White Reg Cab 4x4 5spd
    Tonneau Cover
    Same thing's happening to me, I'm trying to figure out what exactly's causing it. I haven't taken it to the dealer yet, but I'm sure I'll have to absolutely convince them it's a defect in the clutch.

12. Jan 18, 2012 at 5:34 PM
    Goatus

Goatus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dillon
    Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off-Road TX MGM
    Floor Liners, AFe Filter, Leer Cap, Bed Mat, Roof rack, Cap Rack, Rack Rack, Burt Bacharach
    I had his happen randomly in my 5-lug during hard acceleration in 2nd or 3rd gear. I assumed the 29" tires were too much for the clutch to handle... didn't know it was going on in stock trucks.

13. Jan 18, 2012 at 5:46 PM
    beckleyota

beckleyota Well-Known Member

Member:
    wv
    Vehicle:
    o7 taco
    vent visors,tint,kenwood headunit, trex eyelids,kenwood componants,5100's,1 aal,cabellas seatcovers,painted stereo suround
    after the problems i have had i think the stock clutch or pressure plate isnt strong enough.

14. Jan 19, 2012 at 4:49 AM
    Kelson

Kelson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelson
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 5-Lug Reg. Cab SR5
    SR5 Exterior/Interior (Color matched Front Bumper, Chrome Grille Surround and Chrome Rear Bumper/Silver Scoshe Dash Kit, A/C Bezel, A/C Vent Surround) LED license plate and white interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, iPad in-Dash, JL CL-RLC, JL 13TW5 sub, JL 500/1 Slash V1 amp, JL XR 6.5 Components, Rockford Fosgate 6X9s in Boxes Front XRunner Coils, DJM Control Arms and Rear 4X4 Leafs, Custom 2" Angled Streetacos.com Blocks Front XR Bilstien Struts and Rear XR Bilstien Shocks, CravenSpeen Antennae, RX-8 Rims w/ Fronts:235/40-R18 Sumitomo HTR Rears:245/40-R18 Goodyear Eagle GT, 35% Tint front windows, OEM Sliding Privacy Glass w/ 5% Ceramic Tint, Flowmaster Super 44 dumped before the axle, URD Short Throw Shifter, Door Sill Protectors, Door Edge Guards, OEM Sport Pedals,The Retrofit Source Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III 35W 5K HID Headlights, OEM Fog Lights w/ piss yellow bulbs, OEM Cruise Control, Porsche 944 Bucket Seats, BeefedTaco Skid Plate, Whale
    interesting. never heard of problems until these newer trucks. they're still running the R155 right?

i know different year 2nd gen 4-cyls had different clutch manufacturers. so im assuming with these new problems, there might be a different brand clutch than the earlier ones...does anyone know for sure though what brand of clutch these new trucks have?

15. Jan 29, 2012 at 1:35 PM
    Jefenator

Jefenator Taco Truck Noob

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2010 2WD Reg Cab Stick Shift
    I definitely felt some clutch slip for the first time last night - could even see the tach needle zip up then settle back. 2010 w/ 15K. :confused:

This was with two passengers and a bed full of gear - worked better after I dropped them off and unloaded half the loot. But still, that shouldn't be happening at all. (What's the point of buying a truck if you can't use it to haul stuff?)

I guess when I take it to the dealer, I should load up the bed and have another buddy ride along.

16. Feb 8, 2012 at 7:50 PM
    Jefenator

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    I had a rough go at the dealer, but was finally able to get scheduled for a free clutch replacement.

First off, it wouldn't slip for them (after slipping all week for me). They thought maybe I was sensing the electronic throttle lag. Uh, that's not the same thing at all, guys. So they had me drive around with a tech. I couldn't get the $&#^@ to do it for him except ONE time on the off-ramp. He caught it and concurred it was a "rev flare" (also try the term "RPM surge" - they seem to understand that) and backed me up. So now at least we have established that a problem does exist. PHEW!

... except then they were telling me the warranty would not cover it if it is found to be the friction discs. Apparently friction discs are NOT covered under the 3/36. (The fact that every prior clutch of mine got 100+K did not impress them at all.)

This is not good! If I have to pay, I definitely do NOT want to get it done at the dealership. (Not when Clutch World is quoting $600, parts & labor.) But there's no way to find out without committing. ARRGH!!

So I pulled out this code: T-SB-0066-11 and that changed everything. Apparently it is that TSB, and not the warranty, that will cover this repair. They may have found that eventually on their own, but I was sure glad to help speed up the process! (I don't think these guys deal with manual transmissions much, anymore...)

So, all's well that ends well... for now. THANK YOU pheyup33 for posting that TSB code in your thread!!! I strongly advise anyone to write that number down and have it handy if & when you have to take your truck in for this.

17. Feb 9, 2012 at 1:36 PM
    pheyup33

pheyup33 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Long Beach, Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    Bone Stock
    none at this time.
    What a pain in the Arse for you Jefenator. You are welcome and I'm glad I could help out. Take care

18. Feb 13, 2012 at 6:43 PM
    Jefenator

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Just got my mule back. Wow - the new clutch (discs, cover, spring & flywheel) feels a LOT different. More spring tension - engages much sooner off the floor.

I like it!! :burnrubber:

19. Feb 13, 2012 at 6:52 PM
    Stubbs95tacoma

Stubbs95tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Wichita
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    6 Inch Lift
    155k on a 2010??? WHERE ON EARTH DO YOU DRIVE???

20. Feb 14, 2012 at 9:36 AM
    rrowley

rrowley [OP] New Member

Member:
    cap
    The 155k were mainly highway mileage as I drove 30 miles one way to work, five days a week. I gave the truck to my son at 155k and other than the recall on the frame has not had any other problems with it. He has been towing a small trailer with it to his work along with having the back loaded with painting equipment. Toyota did good on this model.

After having my clutch replaced on my 2010, the clutch felt great. Had to get used to the stiff spring pressure also. Actually stalled out a couple of times because of the stiffness but I'm used to it now. Have not had a problem with the clutch slipping since they replaced it.:)

Products Discussed in

To Top