1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2011 2.7L 4x4 Clutch Slipping.. Help?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Stick Sh1ft, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Nov 9, 2014 at 3:54 AM
    Silvert

Silvert Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma reg. cab.,5sp., 4 cyl.
    The clutch frustrations continue. Mine was replaced on my 2010 at 5,800 miles and I detect at slipping already at 38,000 miles. I did write Toyota a letter several months ago. I apologize for not getting back to the issue about their response, but I was recovering from heart surgery. Toyota did get back to me via a letter and attempts on the phone. For some reason they had the wrong number. They supposedly took note of my concerns, encouraged me to call to discuss this further, and assigned my letter a file number for reference. This isn't much, but I will call them Monday and sure your frustrations and the number of owners with clutch problems on the webs site. Toyota should be concerned in that those who share a concern are but a small number. And many of those are ripe to flee to another brand. I will hare anything that results from my call.
    Silvert

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  2. Nov 19, 2014 at 11:20 AM
    Fred Bouwman

Fred Bouwman Member

Member:
    The dealer agreed to replace the clutch at their expense. I had the work done two days ago, invoice charge $0.00.

3. Jan 13, 2015 at 7:49 PM
    single cab

single cab Well-Known Member

Member:
    upstate ny
    Vehicle:
    2012 Single cab 4x4 mt
    even if the dealer replaces the clutch is a factory one really worth having seeing as all the repairs seem to fail well before a normal clutch should be replaced.

4. Jan 14, 2015 at 5:48 AM
    Silvert

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Don't give up. Keep bugging the dealer. Show them the TSB. I had my clutch and pressure plate fixed free at only 6,000 miles. See previous posts. Contact Toyota Motor Sales !-800-331-4331. Tell them about your problem and saying a lot of other guys with clutch problems posted in Tacoma World. Ask to speak to Alex Mendoza. He is the person who responded to my letter.
    Silvert

5. Jan 15, 2015 at 5:42 AM
    04Screamingeagle

04Screamingeagle Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Farrell
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 4cy 5 sp
    none
    That's good when you can get them to do right and replace a failed part under warranty. After fighting them and finding out just how Toyota is I sold my truck right after the repair. I know even with the best clutch under the conditions I wanted to use the truck it would never hold up. The truck just can't handle 4 wheel drive in 4lo with 1500 pound trailer on a slight snow incline. Sure I had a ton of hassle with Toyota and lost a little money but it's gone.

Two years later and a big Hassle with Chevrolet that I just got resolved. Yea even the Big Chevy diesel has it's own issues. It's called a DEF system.
    But at least it's fixed correctly and Free and if it fails again there is a way to bypass and keep driving.
    Good luck to the Tacoma owners and never give up fighting Toyota Reps. or dealers When we are right we are Right!
    04Screamingeagle

6. Mar 13, 2015 at 9:48 AM
    bwana49

bwana49 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wish I'd seen this thread last year. I bought a 2010 last year with 24k miles. The second week as temps dropped it started slipping and has done so for 1.5 years now. Been to the dealer 3 times with no luck. I'm afraid to invest in a new clutch because I don't think the problems will stop.

I see the only way to end the madness is to get rid of it. But, this left a nasty taste in my mouth and I will never own another Toyota.

7. Mar 14, 2015 at 5:02 AM
    Silvert

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Don't give up yet. It may be harder to get this resolved because you bought it used. Read the previous posts. Copy those that are similar. Take them to the dealer service manager. Call or write the Toyota person I put in a previous post. Ask to have a technician drive it with you. Have him accelerate in 3rd and 4th gear. Likely it will slip. Take the repair bulletin number with you. Maybe they will at least give you a price break.Don't give up. Let us know if you have any luck.
    Silvert

8. Mar 14, 2015 at 5:04 AM
    Silvert

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Good work Fred Bowman!
    Silvert

9. Mar 14, 2015 at 6:56 AM
    bwana49

bwana49 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I think what bothers me the most is the fact that the dealerships are acting like there is no problem. You'd think this truck is possessed because it's fine for a few days than slips horribly.

After reading about the problems for the last year it's obvious there is a major problem with the clutches on the 4 cylinder. And as much as I would hate to pay for the repairs that I feel Toyota should cover, from what I see the problem is going to return.

If I put an aftermarket clutch in the truck will that end the problem? I'm so disappointed in Toyota that I keep thinking about trading the Tacoma in on a Ford or some other make.

Reality is I need to make a decision fairly quickly as this clutch isn't going to last much longer.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
  10. Mar 15, 2015 at 12:57 PM
    Silvert

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    see the above posts. Don't give up. Take copies of posts. Take the TSB no. Bug the dealer. Maybe will have to settle for a 50/60 split.
    Silvert

Products Discussed in

To Top