1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2011 - 2017 Tacoma frame corrosion recall

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by MichiganTacoma, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Jan 15, 2020 at 8:13 AM
    knayrb

knayrb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Somewhere in the square states
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl-Cab Off-Road
    Pure stock
    A little off topic: Why do some frame years have more rust than others? Is it due to the composition of the steel in the frame (more/less carbon) or is it due to the type or amount of coating on the frame after construction?

2. Jan 16, 2020 at 2:27 PM
    lynyrd3

lynyrd3 STRENGTH DETERMINATION MERCILESS FOREVER

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    East Central Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    2008 SR5 AC SUPER WHITE V6 4x4 AT / 2020 RAV4 XLE
    Bilstein 6112s top setting ,Total Chaos UCAs ,1/4" top plate spacer driver side ,SS extended brake lines ,Old Man Emu Medium Duty Dakar leaf springs with AAL,OME carrier bearing shim , Bilstein 5125s for 2-3” of lift in rear ,Timbren SES bump stops , SS extended brake lines rear , Toytec dif drop , Hayden high performance transmission fluid cooler,aFe pro dry air filter .Baja amber driving combo ditch lights , Devil horns by Andres ,Weathertecs floor protector, American Racing wheels Baja 17x8,4.5 BS , 285/70 Falken Wildpeaks AT/3W .Body Armor rear bumper . Extra D rings in bed ,Blue sea fuse block and 100amp breaker ,HomerTaco custom grill in Super White , TRD radiator cap ,Birddawg Industries rear view mirror riser bracket ,Coverking NeoSupreme Mossy Oak seat covers , Paranoid Fabrications fuse /relay holder Painted pinch weld.Shorty antenna ,HVAC knob mod ,LED dome and map lights , Tri Fold bed cover ,UltraGauge ,Morimoto XB LED fog lights ,Energy Suspension poly body bushings and sway bar bushings ! Geartech Customs splash guards ,Salex center console organizer . Mobtown tailgate cap ,tailgate anti theft mod .X-Mat sound deadening/insulation cab floor . Mobtown weld on rock sliders 0* with kickout Raptor lined . ,NEW frame courtesy of Toyota !
    Hopefully they clean all surface rust off before spraying it with anything !If not I would do it myself . Salt city here in NY where I am and I cleaned and used rust reformer rustoleum on my frame for years and it still rotted . Got the new frame now :thumbsup:.

3. Jan 16, 2020 at 2:30 PM
    lynyrd3

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    East Central Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    Bilstein 6112s top setting ,Total Chaos UCAs ,1/4" top plate spacer driver side ,SS extended brake lines ,Old Man Emu Medium Duty Dakar leaf springs with AAL,OME carrier bearing shim , Bilstein 5125s for 2-3” of lift in rear ,Timbren SES bump stops , SS extended brake lines rear , Toytec dif drop , Hayden high performance transmission fluid cooler,aFe pro dry air filter .Baja amber driving combo ditch lights , Devil horns by Andres ,Weathertecs floor protector, American Racing wheels Baja 17x8,4.5 BS , 285/70 Falken Wildpeaks AT/3W .Body Armor rear bumper . Extra D rings in bed ,Blue sea fuse block and 100amp breaker ,HomerTaco custom grill in Super White , TRD radiator cap ,Birddawg Industries rear view mirror riser bracket ,Coverking NeoSupreme Mossy Oak seat covers , Paranoid Fabrications fuse /relay holder Painted pinch weld.Shorty antenna ,HVAC knob mod ,LED dome and map lights , Tri Fold bed cover ,UltraGauge ,Morimoto XB LED fog lights ,Energy Suspension poly body bushings and sway bar bushings ! Geartech Customs splash guards ,Salex center console organizer . Mobtown tailgate cap ,tailgate anti theft mod .X-Mat sound deadening/insulation cab floor . Mobtown weld on rock sliders 0* with kickout Raptor lined . ,NEW frame courtesy of Toyota !
    That’s getting bad

4. Jan 16, 2020 at 2:31 PM
    lynyrd3

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    East Central Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    :eek::eek:

5. Jan 16, 2020 at 2:32 PM
    lynyrd3

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    East Central Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    My new frame was made in Mexico :confused:

6. Jan 16, 2020 at 2:33 PM
    Too Stroked

Too Stroked Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    South shore of Lake Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner SR5 Premium
    How much a frame rusts (or doesn't rust) isn't dependent on the year of the truck. The specs for the steel - and unfortunately the finish - have not changed. What really drives how much rust appears on any given truck is the environment its subjected to. That's why the special service campaign for frames is limited to states where road salt is more heavily used.

lynyrd3 likes this.
  7. Jan 20, 2020 at 6:09 PM
    Sharpish

Sharpish Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    my frame passed inspection today, which is no surprise as Victoria weather is VERY gentle on vehicles.

I have an appt in a month for the CRC application. They are keeping the truck for 4 days as they said cleaning and drying the frame takes a while and they only have the equipment to do one at a time.

they confirmed the coating is wax based and applied from the INSIDE.

8. Jan 20, 2020 at 6:10 PM
    Sharpish

Sharpish Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    Also they are giving me a 2020 Tacoma for a loaner, which is cool because I’ve been thinking about an upgrade and this gets me an extended test drive.

WSchafer likes this.
  9. Jan 20, 2020 at 6:18 PM
    IL Capo

IL Capo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sidney BC Canada
    Please let us know how it works out for you brother.....I too live in Victoria so probably much the same. I'm interested in the CRC process ect. so any info will be helpful. Its good that they gave you a loaner but wow...4 days!
    Keep us posted!

10. Sep 28, 2020 at 4:04 PM
    TacoM3Meister

TacoM3Meister Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC
    @Sharpish do you have any update on how it went?

11. Oct 8, 2020 at 9:47 AM
    TacoM3Meister

TacoM3Meister Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC
    Hi guys, so i took my 2011 taco into get the inspection recall for the frame and they said frame has major surface rust but no perforations and would schedule me in for the crc application

i went home and took some pictures, let me know what your thoughts are should i go and question the dealer some more or contact toyota canada and see what they suggest or can do

any helpful insight is appreciated

ACA52C2A-CC36-46B8-BC09-122D6595DEAA.jpg
    B6B5A21F-CE00-417F-B7FA-E5F80BC63573.jpg
    AB878D1F-B4EC-42E2-9C8B-17BA1C04270F.jpg

12. Oct 8, 2020 at 10:08 AM
    tbraumb11

tbraumb11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    nanaimo
    Vehicle:
    2015 tacoma double cab magnetic grey
    what are those?
    do you only get a letter if you are original owner of the truck? I bought a 2015 used from private seller last year in vancouver BC but I dont think I got a letter but I have my mail sent to vancouver but currently live in nanaimo so I havent checked lately.

13. Oct 8, 2020 at 10:11 AM
    TacoM3Meister

TacoM3Meister Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC
    i just called my closest local toyota dealer, and ask for service department to check to see of any recall on my truck, have your VIN number ready and they will check for you, takes 5 mins

14. Oct 8, 2020 at 2:31 PM
    Too Stroked

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner SR5 Premium
    Without seeing pics up near the cats, I can't say for sure, but looking at the pics you posted, I'd have to agree with them. Unless they can poke a hole in the frame with a ball peen hammer, it technically passes.

15. Oct 8, 2020 at 2:33 PM
    TacoM3Meister

TacoM3Meister Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC
    thank you, i will still do my own due dilegence and take a hammer to the frame this weekend and look up near the cats just incase the tech missed anything

16. Oct 8, 2020 at 2:34 PM
    Too Stroked

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner SR5 Premium
    I wouldn't recommend that as you may void the warranty. Leave the hammering to a dealership.

17. Dec 16, 2020 at 4:08 PM
    RookieOverlander

RookieOverlander Member

Member:
    First Name:
    RS
    Vehicle:
    2nd gen tacoma
    none

Products Discussed in

To Top