1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2011 DC TRD Sport Tire size-UCA clearance

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by N.GA Taco x3, Dec 19, 2010.

1. Dec 19, 2010 at 1:50 PM
    N.GA Taco x3

N.GA Taco x3 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    11 Pre DC Sport- 02 Pre DC OR- 12 DCSB 4x4
    I know this has been talked to death i guess, but I have a 2011 DC Sport Prerunner and wondering about the clearance between UCA and tires. Thnking of a larger tire, I do not want to add spacers, lifts, etc, & I want to keep stock Sport 17" wheels and was thinking of the 265/70/17's that i know many of you have with no issues or the 275/65/17, which are a little wider and 1/2 inch taller than stock 265/65/17. Feeling around the back of the front tire I can feel a pointed portion of what i think is the upper control arm and there is probably less than 1/2 clearance between the inside of the tire sidewall and this point(i can't even get my little finger between it) So although i wanted a slightly larger tire, it seems to me that anything wider than the stock 265/65/17 will rub this point. here is a pic of what i am talking about , point in yellow box. [​IMG]

Can anyone tell me if this is common and if this will indeed will rub on 265/70/17 or 275/65/17 tires? The tires now are the stock Dunlop AT20 265/65/17. Seems this could be dangerous if it's a slight rub and you didn't even know about it, nascar-ish tire cut, not pretty. If some of you with a Sport stock wheels and 265/70/17 could reach behind the tire and feel if this point is closer (or wider) or rubbing that would be a tremendous help. Also doesn't seem to matter if tires are straight or at full lock left or right, the tiny clearance remains the same. I checked both driver and passenger side and the clearance is the same. I was think about installing 275/65/17 Geolander ATS because the Dunlops everyone says are junk and the GEOS are 1/2" taller and 1/2" or so wider, thought that might look better, but not so sure now with this small clearance issue. sorry for long post, but i will not be able to sleep at night until i have this resolved lol. Thanks everyone.

2. Jan 3, 2011 at 5:07 PM
    th3duke

th3duke Active Member

Member:
    That's the tire size I run - and yes the uper control arm is about 1/2" away from the tire... I haven't had any rubbing issues; but it made me nervous too at first.

3. Feb 27, 2012 at 11:28 AM
    First Tacoma 2011

First Tacoma 2011 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport Tacoma
    Toytec 3'' Lift 2'' AAL Bed Light Mod Westin Step Sides
    I am running a 285/70/17 on my 2011 Sport and have a clearance issue between the UCA and the tire. I would say 275 is the biggest you should go. I am trying to track down a new UCA that will help solve my issue. I only have them rub when I make tight turns. From what I can tell ICON or Camburg are the only two so far that look like they might work for my problem.

Products Discussed in

To Top