1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2011 Power Lock Switch Not Working Driver Door Only

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by AJC84, May 18, 2017.

1. May 18, 2017 at 6:23 PM
    AJC84

AJC84 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC LB V6 4X4 MAG GREY
    My power lock switch just stopped working today. My aftermarket Compustar fob locks and unlocks all 4 doors, but for some reason the lock switch on the drivers door inside does not move when locking or unlocking. Thankfully the door still locks and unlocks, but I am not sure what would cause this.

Odd coincidence is that I just changed the batteries in the Compustar key fob today. The lock switch also doesn't move when using the lock/unlock button inside the truck, but again all four doors lock and unlock. This tells me the battery change in the fob likely had nothing to do with it since the same thing occurs with the manual lock/unlock button in the cab. When I move the switch manually it seems like it has no resistance while the others have some.

Also worth pointing out is my drivers side key lock seems to be stuck. When I put the key in it will not turn either way.

Any ideas?

2. May 18, 2017 at 7:54 PM
    OKTACO

OKTACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5 Taco
    Door lock actuators love to go out in Toyota's.

3. May 18, 2017 at 8:00 PM
    AJC84

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Vehicle:
    If it was an actuator would the door still lock and unlock though? It seemed like for many if the actuator was bad the door in questions would would not lock or unlock while all the others in the vehicle would.

4. May 18, 2017 at 8:02 PM
    OKTACO

OKTACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5 Taco
    Would still be able to manually lock the door.

5. May 19, 2017 at 1:38 PM
    AJC84

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Vehicle:
    Since all locks work with fob and interior lock button which locks and unlocks all 4 doors I wonder if there is just a linkage arm or something that connects to the lock button which is broken. Does anyone know how the lock switches work? You should be able to move this switch manually and lock and unlock a door. Again, I am happy the door locks and unlocks with power, but am curious why the switch inside the door isn't moving to reflect locked or unlocked. Would like to fix it if its an easy fix.

6. Jun 13, 2017 at 1:00 PM
    cck

cck New Member

Member:
    North West Germany
    Vehicle:
    2009 Timberland Mica Sr5
    Smoked head/tail lights, led interior light swap, climate control knobs
    I have the same problem as OP, everything works with the locks (key fob and lock switch on driver side door both lock and unlock all doors). The problem is the black and orange toggle on the driver side door, it does not move back and forth when locking and unlocking by switch and fob. It also does not lock or unlock the door when moved manually.

Is there a separate actuator tied to just the black and orange toggle or is it probably a linkage that has broken or became attached? I will probably pull the door apart this weekend to find out but was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

7. Jun 29, 2017 at 2:06 PM
    cck

cck New Member

Member:
    North West Germany
    Vehicle:
    2009 Timberland Mica Sr5
    I finally got around to checking the driver side door lock out. I ended up fixing it but some of you might think its not the most professional :) I don't think there is any other way to fix it without spending some money. I will not go into detail about removing the interior door panel because there are some pretty good videos on youtube that can do a better job than me.

I removed the door handle, then pulled back the plastic liner and removed a metal plate that I did not take a picture of but is easy to figure out. It is the plate that covers the bottom hole in the second picture.

I then removed the three torx screws that hold the door latch in place (they are size T30) and unplugged the connector to the door latch.

It takes some twisting to remove the door lock assembly from around the window rails but is not too complicated.

The linkage that goes from the door lock toggle to the lock assembly was all intact so I figured there was a problem on the inside.

As you can see the bottom linkage is the one that connects to the lock toggle on the door handle and it is not attached. From what I can tell it was supposed to snap into the plastic piece but I think this is a very bad design. My fix for this is pretty simple, I used some small wire to wrap around the linkage and the plastic lever.

Reinstalling the door lock assembly was a little more complicated because you have to align the rod that connects to the outside door handle and the rod that connects to the outside key lock before inserting the three torx screws but I found wrapping the wire around the linkage to be the hardest part and it went pretty smoothly.

angeldavid216 likes this.
  8. Jun 30, 2017 at 7:48 AM
    angeldavid216

angeldavid216 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Angel
    Orange County, California
    Vehicle:
    TACOFJ_BUILDS
    2011 4x4 DCLB TRD SPORT: TRD Skid plate Satoshi Grill Bushwacker fender flares Camper Shell Bed mat Hankooks M/T 265/70/17 2008 4x4 FJ Cruiser Trail Team: White TRD Exhaust General Grabbers 265/70/16

Nice, write up... Will attempt to do the same on mine...

9. Jun 30, 2017 at 7:58 AM
    Muddinfun

Muddinfun Well-Known Member

Member:
    I wonder if someone was poking around in there with a Slim Jim.

angeldavid216 likes this.
  10. Jun 30, 2017 at 11:02 AM
    cck

cck New Member

Member:
    North West Germany
    Vehicle:
    2009 Timberland Mica Sr5
    Not sure if you are joking or not but from what I can tell it is pretty slim Jim proof. I think that is why AAA has that inflator tool that pushes the top of the door open then they use a rod to push the interior unlock button.

11. Jun 30, 2017 at 11:50 AM
    Muddinfun

Muddinfun Well-Known Member

Member:
    True, but that doesn't stop nonprofessionals, DIYers and amateur car thiefs from attempting it. That's why I mentioned it. Maybe somebody tried to steal it.

12. Oct 25, 2018 at 5:30 AM
    andbeyond

andbeyond Insta @brett.acree

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Poplar Bluff, Missouri
    Vehicle:
    2011 Magnetic Tacoma DCSB TRD Off Road T|X
    Bilstein 6112 up front set at the third notch with SPC UCA’s, Bilstein 5160 in the back. 285 75 16 Yokahoma Geolander MT
    My truck has this exact problem. I haven’t been to worried about trying to fix it, but I had a previous vehicle broken into in my driveway a few years back. I wouldn’t doubt someone tried again and this could be the cause. As myth busters would say, “It’s plausible.”

Products Discussed in

To Top