1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2011 Squeaky Clutch Pedal

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by K Williams, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Aug 3, 2011 at 10:12 AM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    right thats why i posted those pics

2. Aug 3, 2011 at 10:17 AM
    charles08tacoma

charles08tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner SR-5 Access Cab
    White Snug Top shell
    FYi, I didn't mention spraying lithium grease in the area of the fork & throwout bearing. I only said the dealership told me lithium grease needs to be applied on the pivot ball & clutch fork. BTW, your picture of the actuator under the dash is very helpful. I've got to re-do mine as it's starting to make noise again.

3. Aug 3, 2011 at 10:20 AM
    tacokid09

tacokid09 it's about the off-road miles

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian aka B-Lang
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra
    and just any grease will do or what?

4. Aug 3, 2011 at 10:28 AM
    drtydru

drtydru Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dru
    Oakland
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4
    Bucket seats, Variable speed wiper switch, 09 led Tail Lights, Satoshied front grill, DDM HIDs, Fog light install, Mud flaps removed, 1.5'AAL, Billie 1552, Toyotec front coilovers w/Billies, B.A.M.F welded sliders w/kickout,
  5. Aug 3, 2011 at 10:30 AM
    Yoytoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Vehicle:
    completely stock
    not you but a post in the thread that was linked to this one

6. Aug 3, 2011 at 10:30 AM
    charles08tacoma

charles08tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner SR-5 Access Cab
    White Snug Top shell
    I don't know which grease is best. Hopefully Yoytoda will let us know what he used as he posted the great pictures. Dealer just replaced the parts under there in June 2011 as the plastic piece the clevis rod rubs in the back of the clutch pedal broke after they replaced my whole clutch pedal assembly in March 2011. Now the damned noise is back.

7. Aug 3, 2011 at 10:32 AM
    Yoytoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Vehicle:
    completely stock
    i like using waterproof bearing grease used for wheel bearings in harsh environments like boat trailer bearing. it sticks great and doesnt go anywhere. i greased between my leaf springs 18 months ago and it still doesnt squeak after many washes and water crossings since

for spraying grease a can of good white lithium works great for the inside of the cab. I used the bearing grease on the slave cylinder

8. Aug 13, 2011 at 2:10 PM
    builthatch

builthatch MiG-21 superfan

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony Mandarich
    near the ocean, NJ
    Vehicle:
    '11 SSM SR5 6 speed 4x4
    Hella DOT wattage high performance 9003 headlight bulbs, Optilux by Hella XY h10 fog light bulbs, Suntek HP50 tint, AFE Stage II Si intake
    bumping because i ignored this in my '11 for a while (currently at ~9500 miles, had it since November 2010)

i finally had it as my wife's 2007 Si does the same damn thing and they have no fix for it other than replacing w/ the same part (her issue is actually the clutch master cylinder)

anyway, it (the noise) is definitely inside the cab on my truck. i noticed the pedal takes on a lean if, while depressing, you push with a slight angle toward the brake pedal as opposed to a slight angle toward the kick panel. it basically rocks a bit and puts a load on the MAIN pivot point of the entire assembly...the one that is all built up with plastic and has the 10mm or 12mm bolt head(s) on the metal bracket. when it takes on what for me is the most common angle, toward the brake pedal, it will creak. the slower i go, the slower the creak in an incremental manner.

anyway, so i applied some ss2000 grease (same stuff i use for the slide contact points on my glocks) to any and every possible point EXCEPT the MAIN pivot point. i even lubed the actual tension spring coils! i wanted to eliminate everything that was easy to reach first. so, nothing changed.

i decided to extend an aerosol spray tube and sprayed some BG In-Force penetrating oil to the main pivot points i discussed above. just a little bit on each end and worked the pedal back and forth. i heard nothing so we'll see but i suspect there is some plastic friction going on because of that imperfect left/right hinge action which seems, to me at least, like it shouldn't be there.

after reviewing the parts blow up of the clutch pedal assembly, there are some bushings that are on each side of the pedal arm. they insert in the medial and lateral ends of that main pivot area. i suspect they need to be greased but that involves taking the whole thing apart and if that is the case, i'll let toyota do that.

anyway, we'll see if that spray lube makes it disappear for a while.

9. Aug 13, 2011 at 2:26 PM
    coalminer

coalminer Well-Known Member

Member:
    ky
    Vehicle:
    tacoma
    dry flow drop in filter
    my 08 had the same squeak and with the the info on here its been squeak free for 3 months. a little lith. grease on pivot ball and its good to go. spray grease is fine just use the straw and stay in the the channel of the fork. just 2 shots cleared it up for me.

10. Feb 24, 2014 at 2:06 PM
    DJSPEC

DJSPEC @GuardianAdventures

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean G
    Kaimuki,Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport DCSB 4x4 & 2014 TRD SPORT DCSB & 2016 TRD-OR AC 4x4
    Viper Alarm NorthStar 31 Battery Pelfreybilt Battery Cage OEM roof racks, step sides 35W 6000k HID Fog Lights 35% tint Front windows 5% tint rear windows 2 Sets of Rigid Industries D2 above the valance Duallys on Famous Fabrication's Hood Hinge Brackets Rigid Industries SR2 10" in HoodScoop with C4 Fabrications Hood Scoop Bracket Flowmasters Super 44 series 9942446) Firestone Destination MT/2 295/70R17 Method 702 17” 0 offset Wet Okole Seat Covers OEM Tow Hitch Plastidip Front Valance FoglightMod(Fuel Pump Relay Version) Matt Gecko Truck Bed LED Kit and Sliding Window Security Bar Snugtop Rebel King 2.5 adjustable front and rear Dakar HD Leaf Springs Icon tubular UCA Dirt Kings LCA
    thread revival! but thanks! it worked for my 05 tacoma. and sub'd for the future

11. Mar 7, 2016 at 11:03 PM
    Giznary

Giznary Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2010 DoubleCab 6spd manual
    Firestone air suspension, SnugTop Rebel
    Re-revival!

Just wanted to say if none of this works for you, the specific fix for me involved greasing the spring inside the dash (visible in the first of yoytoda's pics) on my 2010. The "faces" of the spring were rubbing together making a very strange creak that, honestly, didn't seem to be coming from anywhere near the spring. Took me forever to finally try some lube up there. I went with white lithium grease because that's what I had on hand. Hopefully it doesn't drip when the temperatures go up (might have to look into that waterproof bearing grease yoytoda mentioned). I used a disposable glove and a generous glob of grease that I worked-in to the spring coils. Now I can finally shift without annoyance!

Products Discussed in

To Top