1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2011 Tacoma 4.0L rough idle & underpowered - any ideas?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by streetlightning, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Jan 6, 2011 at 5:30 AM
    TacoDaTugBoat

TacoDaTugBoat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goshen, Ct
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB TRD Sport
    I had a similar problem on a vw, would run great then die back and choke till stall. It turned out to be the cam position sensor. But in all the spudder it ended up jumping time and bending some valves. Thats when I got my Taco.

2. Jan 6, 2011 at 6:14 AM
    espdtrd08

espdtrd08 espdtrd12

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2012 4runner w/ kdss
    Icon lift, 285 duratracs, shrockworks sliders, weathertechs, leds throughout, Gobi rack w/ladder, rigid driving fog lights, trd shift knob for extra hp, MGM hood vinyl wrap
    I am having a similar issue. My truck also has a weird idle and makes my truck have a slight vibration going through it. Really annoying for a brand new truck with only 2800 miles on it. WTF? Dealer says they found nothing but to keep an eye on it to see if it gets worse. No F/n S**t

3. Jan 6, 2011 at 6:45 AM
    GSRON

GSRON Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Northern CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR Cement
    Quikfix seat risers and lic plate mount, MESO interior and stage 1 tails, glove box and console dividers, shelf for center console, FACTOR 55 hitch link, TC bed stiffeners, OE bed mat,
    I had a customers Chevy truck (I know, a Chevy..... bear with me) that would lose power ONLY when towing his boat. Turned out the hitch and trailer ball were loose and would rattle on certain bumps. The noise was transmitting up the frame rails and triggering the knock sensor. The ECU "thought" it was doing the right thing and there were no knock sensor codes. It would pull the timing back till the truck would barely move on bumpy roads..... A shot in the dark. Hope it helps.... RON

4. Jan 6, 2011 at 6:52 AM
    PPower05

PPower05 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Perry
    Ranson, WV
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5
    I had a Kia that once did this... It was so bad that it just stopped at every red light that I encoutered. They replaced the fuel pressure regulator... It sounds a lot like the situation that you are encoutering... I would keep all of your recepts from all the dealerships, and maybe go after them for lemon law....

5. Jan 19, 2011 at 10:14 AM
    streetlightning

streetlightning [OP] Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    '12 Tacoma TRD T/X Pro
    Well guys... the verdict is in. The dealership replaced all six injectors and if FIXED the problem. Believe it or not, it runs perfect now. Idles smooth and has the high end torque back. I wouldn't believe it if I didn't experience it. For some reason, one or more of the injectors were not performing.

I really expected it to be something to do with the VVTi valve timing. Its good to know that if your 4.0L goes into an inconsistent idle and feels underpowered, the injectors could be your problem. I've driven Tacoma 4.0L engines for more than a combined 100,000 miles and haven't experienced this before. I'm glad its working now. I feel like a kid again driving it around. Its a lot more fun, zippy and powerful once again!

Thanks for you thoughts and input on this

6. Jan 19, 2011 at 10:25 AM
    SuperTacoma

SuperTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clint
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2019 Double Cab SR5 4x4 Silver
    Awesome!
    I was wondering what it was in case I have the problem on my 2011.

7. Jan 19, 2011 at 1:33 PM
    Richard Cranium

Richard Cranium The lice...they hate the sugar

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Omaha, NE
    Vehicle:
    2013 Raven FR-S
    Forever sideways and smiling :D
    Good to know. I owned a 2002 Audi A4 1.8T a few years ago and ran into a similar situation except with the ignition coil packs. The engine would cut out or off all together and pretty much just freak out. Turns out Audi had a recall on their ignition coil packs from circa 2001-2005. I had 2 of 4 go out one month, and the other 2 go out the next month. Once they were all new, Quattro Woot!-mode was re-engaged!

8. Jan 19, 2011 at 5:08 PM
    streetlightning

streetlightning [OP] Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    '12 Tacoma TRD T/X Pro
    I wonder if there are more out there with this problem. Does your Tacoma idle strange in neutral? How about top end power? I couldn't really tell much of a difference, but above 65mph on the highway or with a trailer I could really tell a difference.

9. Jan 19, 2011 at 7:15 PM
    asolo

asolo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    DC,LB, 4x4 TRD sport
    OME lift with Dakars in the rear, 265/70 R17 BFG KO2. Interior Light Mod, Fog light Mod, Hella Supertones, WeatherTech digital floormats, TRD front tow hook, trimmed front mud flaps, Demello Bolt-on hybrid sliders. Rigid SR-10 hyperspot in the hood scoop, Baja Deisgns Squadron Pros, 30” Baja Designs ONX6+
    Prob a wiring issue.

However, have you checked the fuel pressure? Sometimes a failing fuel pump can set up misfire codes. I know of 4 vehicles in about 10 years this has happened to. Very similar symptoms you describe were present in the other cars as well.

Just a thought.

10. Jan 20, 2011 at 12:47 AM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    Wow crazy. Great that they got it fixed though! Now you can get back to enjoying your truck. :yay:

11. Jun 13, 2011 at 7:13 PM
    Toy2Dy4

Toy2Dy4 Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Black SR5 Tacoma 4x4 4dr
    My truck is doing almost the same exact thing.. Its a 2011 4.0 . Has 3200 miles.. Just changed the oil in it myself.. Wife went to go to work with it this morning and it started up ok but as soon as she shifted it into rev it started to idle really rough and vibrated.. was misfiring and the valves were very noise. I started it tonight when I got home and sure enough it was doing just that.. check eng. and traction control light stayed on.. took it up the road and it run good , brought it back into the garage and it was running like it should but lights are still on.. calling the dealer tomorrow.

12. Jun 14, 2011 at 3:28 AM
    LEX

LEX --- --- --- - ----

Member:
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    100 Series LC
    Can anyone tell me where the camshaft position position sensor is located?

13. Jun 19, 2011 at 6:55 PM
    Toy2Dy4

Toy2Dy4 Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Black SR5 Tacoma 4x4 4dr
    Took my truck to dealer the other day for the eng. light and trct light being on running rough.. got about 5 miles from the house and lights go out.. get to dealer and tell them what it did.. they put on computer and checked codes.. had codes from both cam sensors showing a fault.. they cleared codes and test drove it for 15 minutes and said to keep an eye on it and if it does it again bring it back.. I told them if it does it again I will call them and they can come and get it and haul it back to the shop so the light would still be on and they could experience the issues it was having..

14. Sep 2, 2011 at 6:59 PM
    greenscreener

greenscreener Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    luis
    Norwalk, ca
    Vehicle:
    04 prerunner
    procomp aal, Saw 2.0 coilovers, Allpro bumper, Yakima roof rack, Method racing wheels, mostly debadged eeyore plush on the dash adds about 7hp so im told
    I had a ford ranger did the same thing would just cut off while driving then wouldnt start its the cam positioning sensor changed it out ran perfect my money is on that Google it forgot the price of the part but my mechanic charged 40 to change it he know what it was right away give it a shot op

15. Nov 28, 2017 at 8:29 AM
    Slashaar

Slashaar Trail Limo Supreme & Certified Hole Massager

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TRD-Sport DC LB
    Coastal HC Front, 6112s+650lb King Coils, JD 62 Swap + 14" Fox 2.0s
    My 15 has a rough idle, i noticed last night. 83k miles. No idiot lights, but the rpms were under 1000. I'll have to grab video of it. Some people in my local Taco group say its the normal thing but last time I had an engine sound like this the lifters came apart. I still have a warranty till I hit 84k so I'm taking it in tomorrow, not sure if they'll be able to fix anything being I bought it used from a Chevy dealership.

16. Nov 28, 2017 at 8:41 AM
    D-Rose

D-Rose Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Devon
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2011 dcsb tx pro
    It's supposed to idle under 1000

Slashaar likes this.
  17. Nov 28, 2017 at 8:42 AM