1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2011 tsb 4 leaf

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by magnum922, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Jan 13, 2011 at 12:02 PM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    Don't get you panties in a bind! Take you numbers and read that I said "during 'x' number of months" I wasn't talking about a year. They have been and will be making trucks all over the world that have similar situations.

Regarding 10% - go look at the next 50-100 random trucks that you see that are on the road - included mod'd (most of the 'modded' trucks I know have real springs on it.

But even if it is 10% you act like I have my head up my ass. I have before and will again have my head up my ass but I think your tizzy may show a few more peanuts and corn on yours. :) ;)

I used to supply Frieghtliner (Mercedes Benz), Eaton, Paccar (Peterbilt & Kenworth), White, Volvo, Sterling, Ford, Nissan, Chrysler, Oshkosh, Catapillar, Cummins, Mack, and many other truck, auto and construction manufacturers with OEM product. A part that may be purchased in the aftermarket cost the manufacturer 1/5 to 1/10 of what the aftermarket consumer price is - typically called 5x-10x product.

Concerning customer driven and quality based:

Great marketing slogans but it's all about the bottom line profit. Otherwise we would call them Government Motors. :eek:

Regardless of the numbers - it is the same process all manufacturers go through and I can guarantee you the money that is gained by selling us the minimum requirement so that they can keep their costs low and profit high is what they do. Otherwise the truck we drive would have a Porsche emblem on it.

2. Jan 13, 2011 at 12:14 PM
    buddywh1

buddywh1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    1% is probably much to HIGH...the roads around Philadelphia are filthy with Tacoma's and I've never seen one (besides mine) with the TSB.

But that's not the significant part...I don't think your production number would be anywhere close to what you are using in the case where the TSB springs in place. Why? Cause these trucks are also bought for a family truck and momma wants a nice soft ride for her little snowflakes. If it doesn't have that nice soft ride, daddy doesn't get his pickup and gets an SUV instead.

Now, you have'ta add that lost sales to the cost of putting the leaf on in production. That skews it massively. How much? a total guess for me or you...but you can bet Toyota has damn good numbers for it.

The problem with the Tacoma is, right now, it's trying to be to much to too many people.

3. Jan 13, 2011 at 12:19 PM
    SmilingMark

SmilingMark Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Ogden, UT
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access Cab
    Color matched grill w/ grillcraft. BHLM and Morimoto Mini HID's Debadged.
    Relax dude, perhaps you read more in my exclaimation points than I intended, I apologize. I didn't question your cost numbers at all, I only questioned your use of 1,000,000 and 10%. In thinking about it further, I do think that maybe 10% is right. Of the Tacos I see in my area, the majority are lifted, but when I look at them parked, it's usually a spacer and AAL, not that many TSB's.

Now I will argue with you on the cost of quality. That is a factor that you completely left out. You may say it's only a "marketing slogan" but I assure you, the MBA bean counters you refered to take this at a HUGE factor in the "bottom line" profits that you speak of. If you don't think brand equity, product quality, and repeat customers are large factors in bottom line profit then you need to do some research into the biggest brands on the planet.

"I can guarantee you the money that is gained by selling us the minimum requirement so that they can keep their costs low and profit high is what they do."

Minimum requirement? Really? On a Toyota Tacoma? One of the highest rated compact/mid-size trucks for quality and durablity ever made? Of course they're trying to save costs, in this economy who isn't, but they are also in the business of keeping customers happy, and this is why most us bought a toy.

HOWEVER, I don't want to argue with you as I think your fundamental premise is sound. The overwhelming majority of customers don't care about the TSB so why should Toyota spend $2MM a year to put it on (and risk the mall crawlers being unhappy with a stiff ride). I mentioned in another thread, but I think they could make more profit and more people happy if they put the 4-leaf pack in as an adder or even part of the towing package.

4. Jan 13, 2011 at 12:25 PM
    SmilingMark

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Ogden, UT
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access Cab
    Yep, I was probably wrong thinking it was higher than 10%, see my post above.

Again, yep you're right. It's those soft numbers that the marketing folks have that we don't that matter.

Let me apologize AGAIN. I didn't mean to come off that way. My initial reaction was that the 1,000,000 and 10% were way off. Further thought has caused me to come back on the 10% and think it may be too high now. However the 1,000,000 in the initial calcuation was WAY off leading very skewed "profit" numbers. And like you said, we're missing the numbers of the soft/cushy ride folks.

to much to too many people is a good way of expressing it. I wish it was like the old days where you could pick and choose exactly what options you wanted instead of 3 base packages.

5. Jan 13, 2011 at 12:32 PM
    buddywh1

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    Probably a good poll: how many people do you think would by an HD package, of some sort?

HD springs...HD shocks...frame stiffening and doublers...LT tires

what else??

6. Jan 13, 2011 at 12:40 PM
    SmilingMark

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Ogden, UT
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access Cab
    Well, that's my point. I don't really want a package. I want to pick and choose. For instance, I want cruise control, but I want manual locks and windows. I want all the OR drive train stuff (RR Locker, A-Trac), but not the shocks and springs since I'm going aftermarket on that anyway. I want the OR drive train, but want a color match grill and bumper. And I want NO stereo.

I remember sitting in the dealership with my dad, going through the sheets and picking everything, negotiating the price, then ordering the car.

7. Jan 13, 2011 at 12:54 PM
    buddywh1

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    I remember my older brother getting a list of option codes to be able to get the suspension(springs/shocks/sway bars), rear end ratios, engine, carburetor, cam, transmission, shifter to build-up the muscle car he wanted. They didn't offer police packages to the public and the option codes weren't in the books but if you had them they could order it and you'd get it.

That was in the days before bar-codes and computerize production floor tracking and ordering. Think of that.

8. Jan 13, 2011 at 1:10 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Every one of them with the 4 leaf pack :D

Cry baby bitches might be a little strong , but I agree that Toyota feels the vast majority of the American market wants a truck that rides like a car and the Canadian market expects it to be , act and feel like a pick up truck right off the bat .

However , unfortunately Toyota also figures that Canadians will pay $5000 - $8000 more for the same truck even with the dollar at par , and they are obviously correct as they have sold exactly 4,192 trucks up here . :p

So , I'm not really sure who gets bragging rights on this one .

9. Jan 13, 2011 at 2:41 PM
    ekard

ekard Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC SB 4X4 OR
    TRD Exhaust, Bilstein 5100's, Eibach coils, TSB Leaf pack, Toyota Bed Mat and D-Rings, Dakine Tailgate Pad, Wet Okoles, WeatherTech Floormats, PA15-TOY iPod Adapter, Goodyear Duratracs 265/75/16, SCS F5 wheels
    Looks good!

I finally got my TSB install scheduled for Monday. I also have 5100's to install/align but my dealers been so anal about just getting the TSB done that I don't want to push my luck. Hoping to install those sometime later next week.

10. Jan 13, 2011 at 2:44 PM
    nrm

nrm Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2011 4.0 DCSB TRD Off-Road
    4-leaf TSB and Eibach 620 coils with Bilstein 5100's set to 0". AFE intake and Gibson cat-back exhaust. Bestop canvas topper
    Thanks! Yeah I figured I'm gonna get the liftetime alignment through firestone anyway so it doesn't really matter too much when I cough up the $180 for it.

11. Jan 13, 2011 at 3:43 PM
    buddywh1

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4

Just cause there's a huge market for people to haul ping pong balls on paved roads doesn't mean they're cry babies. There ain't no need to cast aspersions.

12. Jan 13, 2011 at 4:54 PM
    buddywh1

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    Surely you haven't missed the changes in the market? Ranger is dead...the F150 will be Ford's entry. Dakota, Colorado and Canyon are too, by all accounts, as far as being small trucks. Dunno about Frontier...and what about that 2012 Tacoma? What do we KNOW?

I've read an article that the Ridgeline is actually the proto-typical model for everyone's new small truck: unibody, AWD, independent rear suspension. VW is even coming back to the US with one. If Tacoma continues, whata ya bet it will be one too?

So what will you few remaining 'rugged individuals' do? I guess, you'll just have to go get an F150. :rolleyes:

13. Jan 13, 2011 at 5:58 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    It was probably Toyota that drove this sales model into extinction with a reduced number of popular packages. :p

Now look at this thing:
    [​IMG]
    Looks marketable? Well it's a concept truck from 2000 that never made it.

14. Jan 13, 2011 at 6:50 PM
    buddywh1

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    I think it was Honda that created that marketing scheme with the Civic/Accord 'base' and DX / LX being the only way to get options. Of course, there were a few 'dealer installed' options...like A/C, radio, trim kits, fog lights.

Don't forget, it takes anywhere from 5-10 years for 'concept' to make into production, there's still time! Oh, and is that unibody? then why that gap between cab and bed?

15. Jan 18, 2011 at 11:22 PM
    650H1

650H1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2020 (Cement) TRD O/R
    anyone know why the reg cabs cant get the TSB done? i took mine to the dealership, and they ordered the parts to do the TSB and are going to call me when the parts are in to do the rear leaf tsb in my reg cab.. why didnt toyota add the reg cab to the TSB?

16. Jan 19, 2011 at 6:55 AM
    jed1894

jed1894 Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4
    After reading all this leaf spring stuff and worrying about my truck when hauling stuff, I called the dealer just to ask them about this and they agreed to do the work if I wanted it but warned me that the ride will be very different (when not hauling). So, I'm not sure if I want it done or not. I like how the truck rides now. So, does anyone know of a poll/thread about the after effects of the leaf springs? Are they pleased? Did it make a difference? Etc....

Also, I have a 2011 4x4 with towing package. Does anyone know if this particular set up has different springs? It only has three as of now.

thanks, jed

17. Jan 19, 2011 at 7:01 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Why would you want a towing package and have the truck ride on bump stops when you tow? The ride will be how it should be, not crazy rough. They just want to scare you out of having them do it. Read some of the threads where people have had it done over the last 7 model yrs. Not any complaints that I've ever read about. Do it...........

18. Jan 19, 2011 at 7:25 AM
    jed1894

jed1894 Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4
    Towing package happen to come with truck. Probably not going to tow much with this truck....have couple F250s on the farm for that kind of stuff. They were reading the TSB when they told me about the change of ride .... or that's what they said over the telephone. I'll do some reading.

One other thing, I don't know what the deal is but I put 3 of my pool shooting buddies in the back of it the other night to see what would happen (each weighs about 200lbs) and it did not drop enough to really bother me. It dropped, but it did not bottom out even when I got in the back too (another 240 lbs). Maybe I need to ride them around the field to check the bumps with my horse trailer in tow.

19. Jan 19, 2011 at 9:01 AM
    nOLd

nOLd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    nold
    Dallas
    Did you got your TSB done? I thought regular cab is not covered

20. Jan 19, 2011 at 10:39 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Damn, I straight up ignored the avatar pic.............nevermind.

Products Discussed in

To Top