1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2011 v6, sounds like an exhaust leak under acceleration

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by builthatch, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Jun 14, 2011 at 11:43 AM
    EPD

EPD Active Member

Member:
    None Yet...
    I just did my first Oil change (1200 miles ) and It seems to have quieted down alot. It still does it, but not as loud as before.

2. Jun 14, 2011 at 10:45 PM
    transplant

transplant resident know-nothing

Member:
    First Name:
    theo
    Crestline, Ca
    Vehicle:
    89 sr5, 99 OR, 11sport, 14 offroad
    you use the recommended oil or something thicker? i wonder if something thicker would quiet down that (im assuming) valve noise. i know someone said the exhaust manifold was super thin.. but my reasoning is.. if it was a thin manifold.. it wouldnt be a single tick like i hear... you would hear the ping of every cylinder.. left and right. not just the left side primarily... amirite?

3. Jun 15, 2011 at 6:50 AM
    EPD

EPD Active Member

Member:
    None Yet...
    This was the first one, I had the dealer do it 5/30 for now. Next one I will be doing and will changing to synthetic.

4. Jun 15, 2011 at 8:14 AM
    SoCaltaco65

SoCaltaco65 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB 4x4 Offroad TRD
    Keep in mind that the combination of valve train and injector noise will resonate in non-organized fashions, in other words as the engine heats up the freqeuncy will change. The valvetrain noise is normal, not all cylinders will resonate the "ticking". And yes the manifolds are thin non cast iron to save weight and will have a propensity to translate mechanical noise thru them easily.

5. Jun 15, 2011 at 9:14 AM
    transplant

transplant resident know-nothing

Member:
    First Name:
    theo
    Crestline, Ca
    Vehicle:
    89 sr5, 99 OR, 11sport, 14 offroad
    with the proper combination of guesswork and big confusing words... that sounds like it SHOULD be right regardless if it is. hahaha

im just kidding boss, that sounds reasonable. im still curious about the oil change though..

6. Oct 31, 2011 at 8:11 PM
    TIMMAAY

TIMMAAY Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Crofton
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 4door short bed brush gaurd
    brush gaurd, running boards, tint, TRD off road pkg.,
    This has been very helpful, as a first time Tacoma owner I thought id been bamboozled. However I need some clarification on the exhaust leak sound. What am I hearing? I am familiar with valve tapping, but the exhaust sound not so much. Is it the actual combustion occurring? or is it generated by moving parts? And if it is an exhaust leak will it occur at times other than under acceleration? Any input or guidance would be appreciated, Thanks.

7. Jan 19, 2012 at 4:59 PM
    Steve0ct

Steve0ct Well-Known Member

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-Road DCSB White
    Hello everyone, last week I bought a 2011 TRD Sport leftover.

I have the normal Toyota tick that I had a SR5 back in the late 80s. I'm ok with that.

The noise that bothers me is the exhaust leak type noise when accelerating. Seems to happen when I first give it gas until the truck shifts into 3rd gear. I also notice a slight vibration under my feet.

I took it to the dealer and took a tech for a ride. He said it didn't sound like anything out of the oridinary. He said the truck isn't broken in until about 10k miles and the noise I'm hearing might actually decrease. He also mentioned I'm hearing the noise because of the way the exhaust routes under the truck.

Does this sound normal?

Thanks everyone.

-Steve

8. Jan 25, 2012 at 6:38 AM
    Steve0ct

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Here's another scenario....

If this "exhaust leak noise" is allegedly normal, is there an upgrade to any of the components that are causing the noise? Different manifold, exhaust, etc.?

Thanks again,

Steve

TacoNorth2010 likes this.
  9. Jan 25, 2012 at 8:22 AM
    Syncros

Syncros Well-Known Member

Member:
    My 06 4.0L makes this noise.

Only under load between 1500-2500rpm, it sounds exactly like an exhaust leak, my only guess is its some kind of flutter coming from the exhaust manifolds. The exhaust gas is basically coming out of the chamber and being redirected 90 degrees into two cats on each side, its pretty much hitting a wall, and a thin one at that.

Its bearable but, I sure wish it sounded like the Frontiers V6. Funny thing is if I open my rear sliding window and go for a drive on a quiet night the truck sounds awesome, put my side windows down and it sounds like.. exhaust leaks. I think a set of Long tube headers might eliminate this...

10. Jan 26, 2012 at 8:55 AM
    Steve0ct

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the reply. That makes sense to me. Pretty poor design by Toyota!

11. Jul 8, 2013 at 8:32 AM
    Shipwreck

Shipwreck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Johan
    Centennial CO
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off Road Tacoma
    Stock
    I have the same issue on my 2010 DC. I have only had this truck for about 6 months now and it is pretty annoying. It might also be the fuel injectors. I clearly remember having this issue on either my 2002 tundra or my 2004 Titan which in fact was a poor grounding of the injectors. I ran a new\additional ground for the injectors and the noise was gone. So I might actually try this on the Taco too.

12. Oct 11, 2017 at 10:21 PM
    TacoNorth2010

TacoNorth2010 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kawartha Lakes, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Dbl cab TRD Sport.. "long box"?
    Purely stock.. at least for now. I would like to replace the front/rear bumper for something sturdier, also having a nice set of bolt-on frame sliders would be good to have.
    I just picked up a 2010 V6 and it makes that noise as well.. I wonder if wrapping the exhaust manifolds would help in toning the noise down..

Products Discussed in

To Top