1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2012 Entune - is it worth getting?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by bizjettech, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Sep 29, 2012 at 6:24 PM
    CaptQuinn

CaptQuinn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Quinn
    Alaska to Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '13 Sprucie Sport
    Dakar EL095R :Front Coils-2885 :Shocks-90000
    I'm picking up my '13 next week...without Entune. It was never really a consideration for me and after reading your post I'm feeling justified and like I made the correct decision. Tech just moves way too fast to pay top dollar for a system that seems to me...to be sub-par.

2. Sep 29, 2012 at 6:53 PM
    Boltsfaninmo

Boltsfaninmo Well-Known Member

Member:
    St. Louis, MO
    I got mine with Entune. The JBL sounds killer, so that's a plus. I hate the I have to connect my iphone via USB to use the apps. I hope they can fix that so it all works via bluetooth. I HATE that I have to keep going through permission screens EVERY FREAKIN' TIME I WANT TO USE AN APPLICATION! Anyone know a way to disable the permission prompts. I liked the Sync system in my Ford Raptor way better.

3. Sep 29, 2012 at 6:56 PM
    B1SLYFOX

B1SLYFOX Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Just getting started.
    I love mine and about the the statements by some about the Pandora being muffled is fixed by hitting the speaker button in the app and switching to high quality then sounds as good as ipod or anything else. Is it perfect no is it worth it yes.

4. Sep 29, 2012 at 10:08 PM
    Fractured

Fractured FPS-a-holic

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    NOR*Cal
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM DCSB 4x4
    TRD wheels, TRD cat back exhaust, ScanGauge 2, Debadged, Avid sliders, UWS bed box w/automatic LED light, Led Interior/Reverse/Lic. Plate lights, Yellow Fogs, Flyzeye Light, Color matched grill, Rearview mirror relocate bracket, Power Sliding rear window, Plasti-dipped bumper/"T" emblem
    I really enjoy using mine.

Stereo sounds great to me, but I am not a hardcore audiophile.

I can voice input nav all the time with no issue, as well as voice dial anyone in my contacts.

Updates are free (at least my first one was).

the only app I use is fuel prices.

Its clean and seamless. I hate having a gps on my windshield, and nothing is ever as good as stock IMO.

5. Sep 30, 2012 at 5:53 AM
    V5ioV

V5ioV My drinking team has a wheeling problem

Member:
    First Name:
    V5ioV
    Out n 'bout
    Vehicle:
    '13 Pewp Water Slut
    King 2.5 Rem Resi Ext Travel w/comp adj w/700# springs, TC Uni-Ball UCAs, ARB/OME Dakar Leaf Springs w/ King 2.5 Rem Resi w/comp adj and custm eyelets, Stealth Custom Series F-5 Wheels wrapped on: 285/75/16 Fierce Attitudes, BORA 2.25 wheel spacers, GOODRIDGE extended Brake lines, Triple-6" Double Row LED Light Bars behind lower grill, ATFL MOD, TRD Ball Type Shift Knob, Husky WeatherBeater Floor Liners, 60'' HiLift Xtreme, 4xInnovations Bolt-On Sliders w/Kickout, Spring Hanger Skid, Custom BlackPipe Fabs CMC and custom FYL Bed Rack, CVT Mt. Shasta RTT, Trasharoo, 4xInnovations HiLift Bedside Mounts, 4xInnovations Front Skid Plate, TOYWERX Ghost Raptor thin-lip Satoshi Grill, RedLine Hood Struts, 4xInnovations Transmission Skid and T-Case Skid Plates, Wheelers Rear SuperBumps Bump Stops, All-Pro Off Road U-Bolt Flip Kit, UltraGauge, ARB OBA, Pelfreybilt HC rear Bumper, Rotopax system (Single Mounting Plate and Bed Rail Mounting Plate both with LOX handles.
    i would like to get it on my '13 but if you look at the specs and features on the website or brochure its not possible to get it on the 6-speed dc as a option nor a package.
    anyone knows what could be the reason? are there any physical/mechanical connections that conflicts between 6-speed and the entune system?

6. Sep 30, 2012 at 8:06 AM
    bjboucher

bjboucher Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Former 2012 DCLB 4x4 SR5 Texas Edition
    OME complete kit w/ 885s on Nitrocharger Sports, 1/4" spacers, Dakars w/ Nitrocharger Sports, LR UCAs, 265/70-17, Duratracs, G4 Elite tonneau, Weathertech Window Deflectors, Weathertech digital floor liners, factory JBL/Entune, rear differential breather relocate.
    I'd blame apple on this one more than the Entune. My android phone works great. Gotta love apple and their proprietary junk.

7. Sep 30, 2012 at 1:37 PM
    ssmith29440

ssmith29440 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TxPro Trd
    My truck was a demo with entune when purchased. Had some problems at first but now it works great. Subscribed to sirius xm. The jbl sound system rocks. Yes,it is very expensivebut i really enjoy my system. Especially the built in sub woofer behind the back
    seat.

8. Sep 30, 2012 at 2:15 PM
    V5ioV

V5ioV My drinking team has a wheeling problem

Member:
    First Name:
    V5ioV
    Out n 'bout
    Vehicle:
    '13 Pewp Water Slut
    King 2.5 Rem Resi Ext Travel w/comp adj w/700# springs, TC Uni-Ball UCAs, ARB/OME Dakar Leaf Springs w/ King 2.5 Rem Resi w/comp adj and custm eyelets, Stealth Custom Series F-5 Wheels wrapped on: 285/75/16 Fierce Attitudes, BORA 2.25 wheel spacers, GOODRIDGE extended Brake lines, Triple-6" Double Row LED Light Bars behind lower grill, ATFL MOD, TRD Ball Type Shift Knob, Husky WeatherBeater Floor Liners, 60'' HiLift Xtreme, 4xInnovations Bolt-On Sliders w/Kickout, Spring Hanger Skid, Custom BlackPipe Fabs CMC and custom FYL Bed Rack, CVT Mt. Shasta RTT, Trasharoo, 4xInnovations HiLift Bedside Mounts, 4xInnovations Front Skid Plate, TOYWERX Ghost Raptor thin-lip Satoshi Grill, RedLine Hood Struts, 4xInnovations Transmission Skid and T-Case Skid Plates, Wheelers Rear SuperBumps Bump Stops, All-Pro Off Road U-Bolt Flip Kit, UltraGauge, ARB OBA, Pelfreybilt HC rear Bumper, Rotopax system (Single Mounting Plate and Bed Rail Mounting Plate both with LOX handles.
    :mad: seems like it… smh

9. Sep 30, 2012 at 6:07 PM
    Boltsfaninmo

Member:
    St. Louis, MO
    Do you not have to go through all the permission screens when you connect to the internet via android?

10. Oct 1, 2012 at 9:37 AM
    ssmith29440

ssmith29440 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TxPro Trd
    If i reboot my phone i have to pair my phone to reconnect to the internet. Other than that it works fine. A toyota rep told me i had to have atleast a decent 3g reception for it to work. I have a Staight Talk phone purchased at wal mart. Its an android. You can also delete the app from your phone and reistall. Then reboot phone and setup or paiir phone back to your system. Worked for me and have had no problems.

11. Oct 8, 2012 at 11:39 AM
    12TRDTacoma

12TRDTacoma Powered by Ford, GM, VW, and Mercedes

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4 Supercharged
    Boosted
    Sirius has been harassing me via telephone to be more specific my cell phone. The third time they called I told them to fuck off (I basically said "is this sirius?" "yes" "okay good, then take me off your call list, someone already called yesterday about this and if I hear back from you guys again I'm going to consider it harassment, bye") I never heard back from them again, haha.

entering in destinations manually or via voice command sucks balls, I seriously am disgusted with this toyota head unit.

All that multimedia bullshit is better left to cell phones I agree, all these auto manufacturers are putting in too much BS into their systems and just need to focus on the audio functionality/connectivity and navigation portion as well, perfect that, and just stick to it and run with it.

12. Oct 8, 2012 at 11:45 AM
    12TRDTacoma

12TRDTacoma Powered by Ford, GM, VW, and Mercedes

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4 Supercharged
    Boosted
    To kind of answer a lot of peoples questions, Toyota is going to continue on improving entune and make it easier to work with, which is good for me as well. Only reason I know that is because I do sales at a local toyota dealer in my area and I see them constantly talking about improving it and user feedback is very important to Toyota in their aid to improve it and provide better updates.

They haven't just given it to us and abandoned us.

13. Oct 17, 2012 at 7:51 AM
    wolfgang

wolfgang Active Member

Member:
    south USA
    Vehicle:
    12 4 door prerunner
    Air Intake system
    No been to the dealer and talked to "Customer service" it seems to be a Tacoma specific problem. So far-No answers- just double talk and I am stuck with an expensive radio with a GPS that is hard to program. I have been instructed by Toyota people in my truck and they get the same results. I asked to have it taken out and replaced with a standard unit and the cost difference refunded, can't or won't be done, seems that it's wired for this unit only. Toyota is no help so far on this problem. This is my 4th Tacoma all have gone +200000 miles with little or just normal issues. The Entune system was not ready to be put in production in my opinion. I am an ex master tech, so don't waste the BS on me Toyota, just give me what I deserve as a loyal, paying customer.

14. Oct 17, 2012 at 8:13 AM
    Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Opie
    Bedford, Va
    Vehicle:
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    2012 FJ Cruiser Maggiolina Medium Grand Tour w/winter hood National Luna dual battery split charging system ABR Sidewinder Aux battery tray ARB 50qt Fridge w/Transit Bag Bajarack flat rack w/ladder Crawlarado flat black hood blackout TRD exhaust Trasharoo Outback FJ roof console
    This pisses me off too. :mad:

15. Oct 18, 2012 at 3:36 AM
    bjboucher

bjboucher Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Former 2012 DCLB 4x4 SR5 Texas Edition
    OME complete kit w/ 885s on Nitrocharger Sports, 1/4" spacers, Dakars w/ Nitrocharger Sports, LR UCAs, 265/70-17, Duratracs, G4 Elite tonneau, Weathertech Window Deflectors, Weathertech digital floor liners, factory JBL/Entune, rear differential breather relocate.
    Which permissions screens? You mean the one that warns you of data usage? Somewhere in the options you can disable that. I just jump in, wait a few seconds for it to sync with my phone, turn on Pandora and i'm listening to music. No permission screens for me.

16. Oct 19, 2012 at 6:29 PM
    Boltsfaninmo

Member:
    St. Louis, MO
    Next time I get into my truck I'll try to remember to document all the hoops I must jump through. I did find another thing that is totally frustrating. It seems every time I connect my iphone it automatically starts playing the same damn song that starts with the letter A then it plays songs in the order of the alphabet. Every time same songs until I go into options and select random. The damn system should REMEMBER that I selected random and quit thinking I want hear my iphone from A to Z. I love the JBL sound, but ENTUNE sucks hard.

17. Feb 24, 2013 at 11:58 PM
    MGMTacolover55

MGMTacolover55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orygun
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM Taco TRD Off Road
    floor Mats
    engine is not terrible but it could have had a bigger screen and two stubs for the jbl

18. Apr 22, 2013 at 6:29 PM
    wolfgang

wolfgang Active Member

Member:
    south USA
    Vehicle:
    12 4 door prerunner
    Air Intake system

19. Jun 24, 2016 at 8:21 AM
    toyotatacomaTRD

toyotatacomaTRD Senior Member

Member:
    Looking at a 2016 Rav4 for my wife. I'm pretty sure the entune would be the same as current Tacomas. Just wondering what the thoughts on the newest version of entune navigation is, reading this thread seems like they had lots to update. So... Is it good? Worth the cost?

Products Discussed in

To Top