1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2012 Fog Lights Solution!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by CherryBomb, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Mar 1, 2012 at 7:56 PM
    gioangn

gioangn Member

Member:
    trooper12, job well done !! To change the title of your thread: go to your thread then use EDIT.

2. Mar 2, 2012 at 7:35 AM
    tlh178

tlh178 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    terry
    lake huron/sag bay
    Vehicle:
    2012 4WD reg cab/ 02 SR5 Prerunner/07 FJC 4WD
    i'm assuming there is no difference in a 2012 reg cab and a prerunner, looks like same style of inserts. nice find trooper 12 on the ebay lights and install cheat sheet, thanks. i'll be ordering mine soon.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  3. Mar 3, 2012 at 1:16 PM
    CherryBomb

CherryBomb [OP] Member

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC 4x4
    Nice job fellas. Sorry Ive been out of the country for almost a month. Will post pics as soon as I get back.

4. Mar 7, 2012 at 11:55 AM
    Thinkerer

Thinkerer Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Central Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2012 Double Cab PreRunner for the freeway.

Excellent job - now for the *really* stupid question since I'm just beginning to look into this: Was there a harness in place for this (eg, plug in the switch, relay and lights) or did you have to run additional wire to the relay box and then on to the lamps? On my previous truck (F-150) the harness and wiring was already in place - just had to add a relay.

5. Mar 7, 2012 at 1:25 PM
    geochurchi

geochurchi Well-Known Member

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Hi, I am curious as to where the wiring harrness was and what the connector looks like, I suspected there would be a harness but have been unable to find it is the connector under the dash for the switch also?

Thanks

6. Mar 7, 2012 at 2:56 PM
    S1000RR

S1000RR Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Supercharged Sport
    Great job!

I was wondering, if you use the factory harness and switch, any way that you could turn on the fogs themselves without the headlights?

7. Mar 8, 2012 at 6:47 PM
    gioangn

gioangn Member

Member:
    Mine was prewired for fog light (2012 extended cab, base model V6). The harness is located behind the top left "Blind" switch, where the fog light switch should be. Just remove the small door in front of the fuse panel and you can access to the harness. You don't have to run any extra wire. There are two fuse panels in the engine compartment. Remove the cover of the small fuse panel, locate the fog light relay socket then push your relay in its socket. Be aware, the fog light only oprerates when the head lights are on with low beam.

BayRanger likes this.
  8. Mar 8, 2012 at 8:39 PM
    Banger4

Banger4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    AR (Razorback Country)
    Vehicle:
    Reg Cab 4x4
    Supertop, 245/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Authority A/T's, and Husky Floor Mats.
    I removed the small door in front of the fuse panel and believe I found the harness for prewired fog lights on my 2012 reg cab, but I'm not sure, so I've provided a picture to get your expertise. I hope the little white connector at the bottom right corner is for fogs. What do you think?

[​IMG]

9. Mar 9, 2012 at 7:06 PM
    gioangn

gioangn Member

Member:
    No, that is not the fog light harness. From the open door, look up and to the left side you will see the black fog light harness, just right behind the top left "blank" switch (where the fog light switch should be). Or you can pop out the "blank" switch, you will see the cable right behind.

10. Mar 9, 2012 at 8:44 PM
    Banger4

Banger4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    AR (Razorback Country)
    Vehicle:
    Reg Cab 4x4
    Supertop, 245/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Authority A/T's, and Husky Floor Mats.
    Well shucks, I did and there wasn't anything there. It seems that only the V6 models come pre-wired. Thanks for your feedback!

11. Mar 24, 2012 at 5:48 PM
    ID Vandal

ID Vandal New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    S. Oregon
    Vehicle:
    12 Access Cab 4x4 base
    cruise control
    Great job on figuring this all out! I do have the wiring going to the upper left blind switch but cannot find the wiring that would plug into the fog lights. Could someone describe the location of this wiring? Mine's a V6 base model.

I checked underneath the head lights and such and see no sign of pre-wired fog lights. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

12. Mar 25, 2012 at 6:51 AM
    CherryBomb

CherryBomb [OP] Member

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC 4x4
    Mine were bundled up tightly underneath the headlights. Might have to do a little searching with a flashlight. The harness is black and everything else is black too. Might I suggest removing the headlights. That might reveal them. Sneaky Texans hiding our harnesses...

13. Mar 25, 2012 at 12:46 PM
    Rotorheader

Rotorheader Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Eugene, OR
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner 4-cyl
    I ended up getting the Camry lights from eBay, and did my own wiring. Found an empty hole in the fuse block, and used an Ad-a-Circuit for 12v power. Ran that wire thru the firewall, and straight into a 12v40amp relay. My trigger wire connects to the low beam headlight, leaving only the ground and the red wire from the fogs to connect onto the relay. Wiring job took less than an hour. My fogs are ON with the headlight low beams, OFF when I go high beams, and off when the ignition is off.

14. Mar 25, 2012 at 1:36 PM
    ID Vandal

ID Vandal New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    S. Oregon
    Vehicle:
    12 Access Cab 4x4 base
    cruise control
    Thanks for the advice guys. I attached a couple photos showing the partial pre-wiring that's in mine. No luck finding the fog wires and no wiring going to the relay location for the fogs. I'll likely go the camry fog light route and add the factory Toyota switch and wiring the relay into the factory location.

IMG_0728_2.jpg
    IMG_0729.jpg

15. Mar 25, 2012 at 1:56 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Same on my '08 2.7 RC Base.
    No harness under the dash or bumper, and looking in the fuse box, there are no contacts where the relay would plug in.

Short story, look under the bumper or the fuse box and if you don't see contacts or a harness bundled, don't bother poking around behind the dash. You're stuck with a DIY.
    I suspect that this is the case for all of the 2.7 models.

16. Apr 21, 2012 at 9:57 AM
    wvgoofy

wvgoofy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    scott
    charleston west virgina
    Vehicle:
    2014 tacoma TRD sport Debadged
    /husky liners/speed dog shifter knob
    :D:D:D:DHas anybody used the wiring and switch off the camry? the fogs fit right in.If I can find where the red wire frome the switch goes it would a factory kit for 2012 but use a 07 / 09 camry kit. for 50.00 on ebay savings of 450.00

17. Apr 21, 2012 at 1:12 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    The $50 eBay kits are not the factory switches. They will not fit the factory wiring harness, nor will they properly fit the factory dash cutouts.

18. Apr 21, 2012 at 3:13 PM
    wvgoofy

wvgoofy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    scott
    charleston west virgina
    Vehicle:
    2014 tacoma TRD sport Debadged
    /husky liners/speed dog shifter knob
    my camry switch went right in,but has glossy finish on it. I bought the 07 to 11 fogs/switch/wiring for camry just don't know where one wire goes.

19. Apr 21, 2012 at 4:05 PM
    taco12

taco12 Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    12 DCSB
    Sub'd...nice write up. I have been searching the web for fogs since day 2 of owning my v6 base.

20. Apr 21, 2012 at 4:42 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    If the switch alone was $50, it's likely correct (and slightly overpriced for eBay).
    I was talking about the complete kits that include the light housings, switch, and relay harness for $50-$80 (best vendor I've used is Trendgear).
    Those are worthless for the parts... but at that price for two housings it's a deal.

The FJ Cruiser fog switch with harness is $67 plus shipping.
    The stock Tacoma switch (if you have a pre-wired SR5) is about $40 from Toyota of Dallas (and $10 shipping)

I like the FJ switch because it is backlighted AND has an indicator light. The stock Tacoma switch does not have the indicator light, but the FJ switch requires custom wiring in a Tacoma. The Tacoma switch is a "Plug and Play" for the pre-wired SR5 models.
    If you have connectors taped up under the bumper, you're pre-wired... you just need the switch, relay, and housings.

Products Discussed in

To Top