1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2012 Issues...Totally Nerded Out

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TruckyTruck, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Jun 23, 2012 at 10:41 AM
    GrandpasComputer

GrandpasComputer Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cliff
    Boston, Mass.
    These all sound like common place things, at least I have all of these things on my 2005 model.

It's a pickem up truck, not a Benz.

2. Jun 23, 2012 at 12:56 PM
    MotorsportsAustin

MotorsportsAustin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Belmont, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Off Road 6spd

The drive line shake is a defect, many of us (just on this forum, probably more elsewhere) are in contact with Toyota USA about this. For some reason random 2012's have this problem like the many 2006/7's did, manual or auto. It seems most do not, therefore it's not "normal". If you can feel the vibration in the cab, then the vibration at the bearings, seals, and internals of the transfer case and diff are really feeling it. You'll need to call Toyota at 800-331-4331 to start a case file and remedy it.

At present, Toyota has acknowledged the problem, said they can't fix mine, and advised me to lemon it so they can buy it back or replace it for me. We have a thread on this:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/187518-2012-stock-tacoma-driveline-vibration.html

3. Jun 23, 2012 at 11:14 PM
    TruckyTruck

TruckyTruck [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Crewmax TSS Off-Road 4x4, sr5/leather
    thank you, sir
    i will make sure they know.

4. Jun 23, 2012 at 11:27 PM
    TruckyTruck

Member:
    Vehicle:
    so, that rattle in the dash came back. bummer... the drum brakes squealing again... AND i was at the wife's parents today driving up a rough road and the steering column started rattling. i could feel it really bad. so... apparently there is a tsb for that steering rattle. at least i wont have to plead with them to fix that. the rattle in the dash is right above the radio. very easy to pin point it. im most bummed that the brakes steel squeal. but not a big deal i guess. ill just be taking it there again monday. i suppose they will want to get my truck fixed if i have it in there bay every week... ha. i love the truck but the little things need to get fixed. i hear what some say about it just being a truck, but this isnt my first. my others had no problems like this.

5. Jun 24, 2012 at 10:23 AM
    monkeyface

monkeyface Douchebag, or just douche if we're friends

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '90,'97,'12,'05 Tundra 4.7,'07 T4R 4.7,'08 T4R 4.7
    You know, I think there is some merit to what day of the week the truck was built, what time of day, etc. Maybe the OP's was built on the Monday after the Cinco de Mayo weekend.

6. Jun 24, 2012 at 10:41 AM
    stewartx

stewartx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver DC SB TRD Off-Road
    Winch, front hitch, step bars, bed extender, bed step, gull-wing toolbox, tailgate lock, security system, cb radio, etc.
    You shouldn't judge all 2012's based on the issues of a single vehicle. Mine doesn't have any of the problems listed.

7. Jun 24, 2012 at 2:45 PM
    TruckyTruck

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I agree. im sure there are hundreds of 2012's that are just fine. i may be pretty picky about everything too. its not like they can fix the little problems i have, its just a pain in the rear taking it up there while trying to juggle the rest of my life. glad you dont have any problems. i should have my 13" wicked flow max exhaust tomorrow and i hate that i have to wait to put it on. im going to get these little things done before i do, or they might try to blame my dash on the exhaust... ha, jk. donty get me wrong though, i freaking love my truck, i just want the little things fixed

8. Jun 24, 2012 at 3:42 PM
    maxspeed96ct

maxspeed96ct Well-Known Member

Member:
    Any of you guys have any mods?

The first thing id like to do to my truck when I buy it is put some 5100s on it, but with the chance vibration issues stock I don't want warrenty issues.

9. Jun 24, 2012 at 3:55 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    I know that...it was more of a joke than anything. You can find all sorts of things to complain about on any vehical if you look hard enough. My truck has allways had a few small squeeks and rattles but i could care less...it's a truck for gods sake.

10. Jun 24, 2012 at 4:23 PM
    keggerdude

keggerdude Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    bill
    las vegas
    Billies all around
    L E M O N

11. Jun 25, 2012 at 9:41 AM
    stewartx

stewartx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver DC SB TRD Off-Road
    Winch, front hitch, step bars, bed extender, bed step, gull-wing toolbox, tailgate lock, security system, cb radio, etc.
    Never said anything about not having ANY problems, just not the ones listed. Luckily, mine have (so far) been very minor and very easy to fix.

I've certainly had my share of both decent and crappy vehicles over the years. Up till now, this one has been pretty decent - though, after my previous older BMW 5-series, I occasionally feel like I'm riding around in a plastic Tonka Toy. But, as long as it holds up and does the job, I can live with that.

12. Jun 26, 2012 at 7:35 AM
    TruckyTruck

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Update.
    Week 2 of being in the shop:
    *Brakes being worked on again. Still squeeling. The service guy said they would probably machine them and clean.
    *The rattle in my dash came back, so they are going to take my dash apart and secure everything.
    *This weekend i was driving up a rough gravel road and the steering column was rattling... jeeze... clunking is more like it. apparently there is a TSB for the intermediate shaft not being designed right for the double cab O/R, so i told them what was happening and gave him the TSB number and he said they would perform the TSB fix for me. No arguments from him about it, wich was really cool. I read about the zip tie fix, but decided on the TSB instead.

It may not be a Benz or a Corvette, but im going to treat it like one... Thank goodness the service guy seems to really want to help me get this truck like it should be. That place is really treating me well. Uncommon these days...

13. Jun 26, 2012 at 12:48 PM
    ZonKs

ZonKs Can speak french in Russian.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Glendale, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Sport DCSB 4x4
    =p
    problem is, this action will prob cause more rattles. :eek:

My 2007 had a bad rattle on the inside of the top right of the dash. Never could nail it down. Every time i took it to the dealer, and went on a ride along, it was the tech with his hands over his ears, "la la la la la la, i dont hear anything, la la la la....". It was plain as day, but he would never admit to hearing anything. I taped, tied and otherwise secured every single loose wire harness, etc. A week or two later the rattle would always return. VERY frustrating. So far my 2012, no rattles. good luck. I know how it is.

14. Jun 26, 2012 at 2:47 PM
    MountainDog

MountainDog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Aurora, CO
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4 Double Cab Off Road
    Vinyl floor; 265/75/16 Duratracs; SnugTop Rebel
    X2

Hey guys, my 2012 has been perfect. So it sounds like the 2012 model year is perfect!

Just sayin'

15. Jun 26, 2012 at 3:34 PM
    TruckyTruck

Member:
    Vehicle:
    hopefully mine will be perfect some day...ha. this was my first tacoma. i guess i could always sell it and go with a tundra. i really like the truck, but it stinks that ive had these problems. they arent too major, but...

16. Jun 26, 2012 at 8:33 PM
    Craze

Craze New Member

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD
    Did they say what the ticking noise was? My 2012 is doing the same thing

17. Jun 26, 2012 at 9:11 PM
    TruckyTruck

Member:
    Vehicle:
    They didn't say what, but the guys there said they hear them all tick. And not just the Tacoma, but tundras too. My friends Lexus (Toyota motor) even ticks. Annoying, but not hurting anything and nothing that can be fixed.

18. Jun 29, 2012 at 9:48 AM
    TruckyTruck

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Just an update. I picked up my truck today. Everything is fixed except for the slight vibration i get when i accelerate around 20mph. For that, i called Toyota and threw my name in the GIANT pot of people that have this complaint. they gave me a case number. Not that that does me any good. Maybe one day they will have a fix. Anyways, its so slight that i dont really notice it.

*rear drums squealing in reverse in the morning and at end of stopping
    Machined and cleaned them. Perfect now.

*driving over rough road, something in the dash near right of the radio is rattling
    secured the rattle and all is quiet now.

*2 different loud tapping noises coming from drivers side of the motor. one sounds like valves and the other like exhaust.
    This is just the way the toyota motor is. listened to several, not just tacoma motors. all sound the same.

*connectivity constantly dropped for entune. connects then when i turn the truck off and then turn it back on, the only thing that is still connected is making calls. i have to delete the pairing and reconnect everything if i want to use entune or stream my music
    getting the new samsung for verizon when it comes out in july and hoping that will help. also there is a new version the dealer can flash that will help (forgot to ask about it. just found out last night) also got an email that i was being sent a flash drive to upgrad entune with new apps!

*left tweeter rattling when music is playing
    just a loose wire rattling when the bass is thumping. secured.

*5k service
    double checked that synthetic was used from the service rep, because he had conventional oil change listed on the service doc. i also compared the oil on the dipstick with regular and synthetic oil i had in my garage. its synthetic. (very happy about the trust i can have with this service guy)
    *please use synthetic oil

* Last but not least. I had the Steering column Clunk/rattle TSB done. They replaced the intermediate steering shaft and the steering is not only tighter, but no more rattle on rough roads and off road. drove over all kinds of crap to test it :der:

I am very satisfied with the dealer i took the truck to. Unfortunately i am very particular how i spend my money and want what i buy to be problem free. when i called my wife to tell her the truck is perfect, she said 'good, now you can finally enjoy it'. She is right, ive been concerned with this crap for to long and of course shouldnt have had to be. Im going to take her advice!

19. Jul 3, 2012 at 8:15 PM
    TeamLombardo

TeamLombardo WE'VE LANDED ON THE MOON!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    El Paso
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB TRD Off-Road 4x4
    OME 886x, OME Trim Packer, OME Shocks, Dakars, Toytec Shims, LR UCAs, CB Drop, Demello Sliders, Pelfreybilt Plate Bumper, Warn VR8000-s, RI 20" LED, RI Duallys, TRD Exhaust, Weathertech Liners, SS Brake Lines Front/Back, BHLM, Anytime Fogs, CV Boot Mod, 20% Tint, Stubby Antenna, Salex Console Organizer, Derped Grill/Badges
    May be a stupid question, but where do you find TSBs?

"No such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people......":p

20. Jul 3, 2012 at 8:25 PM
    Syncros

Syncros Well-Known Member

Member:
    I think you should have done your home work and taken a thorough test drive before signing for the truck. That said its nice to hear you were taken care of.

For me it's a truck, I expect the rattles, noise level and vibration a body on frame vehicle has. Especially one with a Landcruiser engine that was designed more than a decade ago, its a noisy engine, but it won't let you down.

Products Discussed in

To Top