1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2012 seat belt chime disable

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jesse.jamz, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Apr 4, 2013 at 6:02 PM
    Rossi396

Rossi396 Rossi396

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Super White TRD Off Road DCSB
    Hey Guys:

Quick question for those in the know or who work at the dealerships...I had my truck in this week for 10K service. I asked if they could silence the alarm and they said they would. When I signed for the truck, they advised that they couldn't do it. "Some trucks you can change and some you cannot, yours is one we can't change."

That make sense to anyone? They basically told me there's no option when using the scan tool to shut it off.

I may try some of the other methods here to get it silenced. I take my dog out almost daily for a run in the woods and I'm nearly ready to shoot the dash..

Thanks,

Rossi

2. Apr 4, 2013 at 6:34 PM
    cjimenRR

cjimenRR Be Good or Be Good At It

Member:
    North Hollywood, Ca
    Vehicle:
    12' Sport DC,LB, 4x4
    does it beep or honk when you lock/unlock the truck? Beeping is just the keyless entry system and you can't turn off the beep unless you remove the module that makes the beeping noise. If it honks then it might have a dealer add on alarm and they should be able to make it silent without having to use the scantool

3. Apr 4, 2013 at 11:54 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5

He is talking about the chime ( Ding Ding Ding ... ) when you drive with the seat belt not buckled.

4. Apr 5, 2013 at 4:46 AM
    poppeye

poppeye Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    13 Taco TRD
  5. Apr 5, 2013 at 10:48 AM
    12DblCab

12DblCab I don't know what to write here

Member:
    South
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB TRD Sport "Pyrite Mica"
    I went to the dealership today for 25,000 mile service. I asked the service tech to disable my seatbelt chime, and he said it was impossible because it is safety related. I told him others have done it using codes, and he said "Well no, I didn't mean impossible, I just don't think we can do it". Then he got another tech who was happy to do it.

The light still blinks, but there is no beep. Score.

6. Apr 7, 2013 at 7:30 AM
    Rossi396

Rossi396 Rossi396

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    Hi, Guys:

The beep on lock/unlock is not the problem and is actually programmable. (I already disabled the beep. Quite annoying at 5:30 A.M. on the way to my treestand).

My question is specifically about the ability for the dealership to do it. They claim that there are some trucks where it is impossible to do because it's not listed in the computer. As for buying the code reader and typing in commands, I don't think I'm comfortable doing it. I just need to know whether or not to call BS on the dealer..

Thanks,

Rossi

7. Apr 7, 2013 at 2:38 PM
    Jaws9760

Jaws9760 Active Member

Member:
    Northern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2013 V6 4x4 DCLB TRD Sport MagGrey
    Bed liner shovel mount, head rest vertical rifle mount, console .380 holster. Tailgate hose clamps & washers. Green LED dome light, Disabled seat belt chime.
    My dealership agreed to turn it off but when they tried, it didn't work, they said the commands weren't available for the seat belt or the keyless entry chime. I did more cruising around TW and decided I was too cheap to buy a component to talk to the taco.

I did the seat belt buckle mod on my 2013 DCLB TRD Sport, Dad's 2012 DCLB TRD Sport, and Mom's 2007 Pontiac Vibe (they were made in Toyota factories). I got all of the chimes disabled without disabling the airbags. (the Vibe was a pain, PM me if you need that info.)
    http://www.toyotatundraforum.com/ge.../370-seat-belt-warning-from-ts-skyhammer.html

^^The Skyhammer thread has excellent pictures but is WAY over complicated. I pushed in the tab with a tiny screw driver and pulled the circuit down, if you look at it, you can see the spring from one side. I used the screw driver to pry the spring out and kept in case we wanted to reverse anything. Then you just poke the circuit back into the buckle. There's no reason to take it apart any more than shown in the second pic in the Skyhammer thread. Also, I just reclined the seat, you don't need to take the damned thing out of the truck - the driver's sides take less than 5min.

The passenger side was a little weird. On both mine and my dad's trucks, I ended up taking the passenger side apart twice in order to make the airbag light indicate properly. I literally just did this so I wish I had paid more attention, basically, I had to jigger with it a little - I know, technical term.

The white plastic bit has a magnet for closing and opening the circuit and I got the airbag light to behave by starting the truck and then running the plastic bit up and down (the airbag and seat belt lights change), then shutting the truck off and repeating for a few times. It only takes a couple of times and then it functions properly, which is to say that there is no beeping and the airbag is on if there's enough weight in the seat.

I tried it with Pa and the Dog and it all looked good.

I'll keep an eye on all the airbag lights but I'm satisfied. I still think having the dealership do it is the smartest but, had my dealership succeeded, they said they would have charged me $81. I called another dealership who offered to do it for $57 but said that if the first guys couldn't manage it, that they probably couldn't either - they mentioned that trim packages can affect whether or not those commands are available.

It sounds smarter to get a component as y'all are discussing but I'm a cheap ass and I was impatient so this worked for me. Good luck everyone, those chimes are annoying.

8. Apr 7, 2013 at 3:06 PM
    Jaws9760

Jaws9760 Active Member

Member:
    Northern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2013 V6 4x4 DCLB TRD Sport MagGrey
    Bed liner shovel mount, head rest vertical rifle mount, console .380 holster. Tailgate hose clamps & washers. Green LED dome light, Disabled seat belt chime.
    Hey man, thanks! Yours was the post that made me try it and I am so happy, worked like a charm. I ended up doing all the rigs in the house, no one has to listen to that damned beeping ever again!

9. Apr 7, 2013 at 3:31 PM
    SpruceTaco

SpruceTaco トヨタ

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Clearwater, FL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Spruce Mica TRD Sport
    Tinted windows 5%, sill protectors, TRD stubby antenna, weathertech in channel rain guards, wheathertech floor mats, BHLM, Truxedo low pro qt, DTRL deleted, anytime backup camera, bed storage locks, fog lights on anytime, tailgate theft deterrent, painted engine cover, relocated horns, l.e.d bed lights, l.e.d engine bay lights, l.e.d lights above cup holders, in glove box, rear cup holder, in console storage & cubby next to steering wheel, Grillcraft grill, 17x8.5 SCS Ray10's, 35x12.50 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, Borla cat back exhaust, map & dome l.e.d's, TEQ badge on grill, Redline tuning hood struts, Maxtrac spindles, SPC Light Racing UCA's, Bilstein 5100's front set at 0 with OME 885's & extended length Bilstein 5100's in the rear, All Pro expedition leaf springs & 2" blocks, extended brake lines front & rear, 1.5" 4crawler drive shaft spacer, Beefed Taco carrier bearing drop, 1.25" spidertrax wheel spacers on rear, Kenwood DNX570 touchscreen with navigation, 30" led light bar in lower bumper opening, 1/4" top plate spacer drivers side, Bullet Proof Fabricating skid plate, Cali Raised ditch lights & Rago f Fabrication brackets, Amp Research power steps, smoked l.e.d 3rd brake light, Wet Okole seat covers, under cab LED'S tied to dome circuit
    ^^Just did this, it only took a couple minutes to do both & no more damn beeping. Thanks guys!

10. Apr 7, 2013 at 6:53 PM
    Rossi396

Rossi396 Rossi396

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks, Jaws.

FWIW, my dealership offered to do the update to the chime for free during my 10K service...

Rossi

11. Apr 8, 2013 at 8:32 PM
    tacoman2

tacoman2 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    CA
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    No luck getting the dealership do it for me here in Socal. :(

12. Apr 11, 2013 at 3:38 AM
    12DblCab

12DblCab I don't know what to write here

Member:
    South
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB TRD Sport "Pyrite Mica"
    Ask a different tech, and think of a good reason why you need it turned off. Someone who does a lot of low speed driving and gets out of the vehicle over and over would be someone they might do it for. It isn't practical for some people to put their seatbelt on over and over. In my state, some occupations are exempt from wearing it.

13. Apr 17, 2013 at 8:26 PM
    rustbus

rustbus Well-Known Member

Member:
    western Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 TrailTeam Pro - white
    first (truck purchase location) dealership told me they couldn't do it. sounded like canned response when she told me that...
    I told the next, closer-to-work dealership that i was a surveyor and did a lot of slow speed driving and getting in and out. no big deal, but the girl at the take in counter did like triple check with the shop foreman. he asked if passenger side too and i didnt flinch - yes! they turned it off no biggie and printed,circled a long disclaimer on the service report. (looked to me like the shop foreman guy wanted her to keep it down about turning it off in front of other customers) helps that my truck is a company vehicle.

i find i put my seat belt on MORE often and sooner now without that chiming. figure that one out.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  14. May 4, 2014 at 5:30 AM
    EODwick

EODwick Fire In The Hole!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Box Elder, SD
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport
    Stuff I Think Makes it Better
    This is exactly why I want to get mine disabled. Yes, I will still wear my seat belt because I was raised that way, but it's for my dog who likes to ride shotgun with me :D

15. May 22, 2014 at 4:37 PM
    wvgoofy

wvgoofy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    scott
    charleston west virgina
    Vehicle:
    2014 tacoma TRD sport Debadged
    /husky liners/speed dog shifter knob
    On my 2014 trd sport they turned pass/ driver chime off in about 3 min with a laptop didn't charge me anything.tec man done it on his lunch so I gave the man 20.00 for lunch. Must be a taco fan

16. May 22, 2014 at 9:27 PM
    bueller

bueller Well-Known Member

Member:
    AZ
    I asked my service advisor to turn my seat belt chime off while the truck was in for the driveline vibration TSB and he said he couldn't because it was a safety issue. I pointed out in the manual that Toyota states it's a customizable feature and to take it to a dealer to perform. Once he saw it in the manual as a customizable feature he had the tech do it. I watched him and it only took about a minute to do.

17. May 23, 2014 at 8:35 AM

127.0.0.1 AKA ::1

Member:
    /etc/hosts
    Vehicle:
    2013 NBM AC 4.0 4x4 Auto OR
    FWIW...

according to the docs I was reading, for my 2013... it is

very easy to disable the seat belt reminder warning 'when you are rolling' and no seat belt, that is a techstream programmable option

it is not possible to disable the initial startup beep. only the secondary beeping after moving can be disabled. that is according to techinfo.toyota.com docs...

so for anyone saying 'I tried the disable and it did nothing', perhaps you did disable the 'while truck is moving warning'

of course rewiring stuff fixes errything

--------------
    ^are all chimes for seatbelt turned off, or just the 'while rolling' one ?

18. May 23, 2014 at 8:01 PM
    bueller

Member:
    AZ
    Just checked. I get five beeps when I turn the key to the on position and nothing after that.

19. May 23, 2014 at 9:04 PM
    JerryTaco

JerryTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dealer was able to completely disable mine. There are several options in their computer and you have to tell them if you want them completely turned off

20. May 23, 2014 at 10:22 PM
    bueller

Member:
    AZ
    I saw the options when he did it and there were no other options with the seatbelt chime. I'm not going to complaint about 5 quick beeps at startup.

Products Discussed in

To Top