1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2012 Tacoma TRD DBLD LB 2K Mile Mark

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 12Tac, May 13, 2012.

1. May 13, 2012 at 8:17 PM
    12Tac

12Tac [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2020 Double Cab, Long-bed TRD Off Road.
    SnugTop, FN Wheels, Meso Custom, Tacos4Cheap
    Hi Everyone,

For what its worth I wanted to put down some observations at my 2K mark with my new Tacoma.

So far...so good, but I've noticed a few things since taking delivery. First, I've noticed sort of a whine when the truck is stationary, but in drive. Usually at an interaction, drive through, etc. Just something I've noticed, not annoying, but as you get used to the truck you tend to notice things.

So far, no issues. In fact I've been very impressed with the mileage. Currently driving about 86% city and 16% highway. Getting nearly 20mpg in town which I think is excellent for a 4L V6.

The truck came with Bridgestone Dueler H/T D840s. These are quiet, ride well, but seem to wear very fast. I'll be curious how many miles I get out of these...and I plan on wearing them out and opting for new wheels as well. Got a few in my "list."

I don't like the "chrome clad wheels" that came with my Sport upgrade package, but that will change.

The truck rides very quiet and smooth. Easily the best riding truck or vehicle I've owned so far. (I've posted a comparison between the 2012 Tacoma and the RTS Honda Ridgeline in previous posts).

I have done a few modifications including new N-Fab side steps, bed mat, etc. Nothing major so far. While I'm not too interested in a lift kit I would like to get a set of bigger tires to fill the space in the wheel wells in the future. The majority of my 'off road' or 'stress' driving will be limited to dirt roads and heavy snow in the winter.

I would like to get some real skid plates for the drive train and differential. Relentless is on my finalist list.

If I do need a lift in the future I'll look to Toytec. They are "local" to me and seem to have a great reputation.

So far there are really no problems with the truck. I'm lucky to have a great local dealer and will take it there for the warranty issues, oil changes, etc. In addition we have a great 4x4 place that will take care of lift kits, new wheels and tires, etc.

As in my comparison post between the 2012 Tacoma and Ridgeline I do wish the Tacoma had the storage space of the Ridge. I do think that's made up in the fact that the Tacoma is a much more capable truck. The V6 of the Tacoma, while less in HP has more torque and seems more responsive.

So far I do love the truck and don't expect any issues in the future. I tend to take great care of my vehicles. The long bed has been a bit of a parking challenge for me, but the rear view camera has been a life saver.

12Tac

2. May 13, 2012 at 8:20 PM
    ChamYota

ChamYota Crash Bandicoot Or Groot AKA Cham "Scottalot" Yota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Columbia,South Cakalacky
    Vehicle:
    05' Taco 4x4 swapped/ 2007 Toyota Land Cruiser
    H1 Morimoto projector with XB35 4300K bulbs with Mini-gatling gun shrouds, BHLM. Debadged,OEM roof rack,TW sticker,Sockmonkey Beside decals,265/70/16 Nitto terra grapplers with dick cepek DC'2 wheels,weathertech floor liners(front/back),USA Spec Ipod reader,Scanguage II,Bestop Supertopper and more in the works...
    :thumbsup:

Good to know its still taking care of ya!

3. Jul 5, 2012 at 4:54 PM
    dmahr81

dmahr81 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Ewa Beach, Hi
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma Quad Cab SR5
    Toyota Tacoma 3" Front + 2" Rear Lift Kit, LT245/70R17,
    Sir when you first got your truck, have you experienced any A/C issue at all. I JUST bought a brand new 2012 with 14 miles on the truck and two weeks into driving it, i noticed that the A/C is not that cold at all(i went ahead and had tint put on the windows and since i had to drive with my windows up for three days i noticed my A/C sucked). the compressor does kick in when it wants to or when the timer is set but since i do live in Hi i do keep my windows rolled down. What do you suggest??

4. Jul 5, 2012 at 4:57 PM
    evh5150

evh5150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddie
    Auburn,Ma
    Vehicle:
    2010 D/C S/B V6 6 Speed
    Bilstein/5100 combo from Toytec. LR UCA's.1.5 AAL's Full audio upgrade.Pioneer 8400, JL Audio subs. All Boston Acoustic pro speakers, and a Kenwood XRS 5 amp. Grillcraft, Smittybuilt stainless steps. Debadged. Soon 17x8 ATX Ledge wheels w/285/70/17 BF Goodrich
    What is a TRD DBLD

5. Jul 5, 2012 at 5:05 PM
    NorthGa4R

NorthGa4R Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hall county
    Vehicle:
    Limited 4Runner
    3' OME, bfg's, and so on..
    Trd (Toyota racing development)

DB (double cab)

LB (long bed)

If that's not what it means then, I don't know

6. Jul 5, 2012 at 5:07 PM
    evh5150

evh5150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddie
    Auburn,Ma
    Vehicle:
    2010 D/C S/B V6 6 Speed
    Bilstein/5100 combo from Toytec. LR UCA's.1.5 AAL's Full audio upgrade.Pioneer 8400, JL Audio subs. All Boston Acoustic pro speakers, and a Kenwood XRS 5 amp. Grillcraft, Smittybuilt stainless steps. Debadged. Soon 17x8 ATX Ledge wheels w/285/70/17 BF Goodrich
    Yes I know all that but he wrote TRD DCLD

7. Jul 5, 2012 at 5:08 PM
    NorthGa4R

NorthGa4R Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hall county
    Vehicle:
    Limited 4Runner
    3' OME, bfg's, and so on..
    Oops, just saw that. Hell, you got me there...

8. Jul 5, 2012 at 5:10 PM
    Jeffvt0508

Jeffvt0508 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB 4x4 trd offroad
    Ome 887s, dakars, lr uca,sliders, konig countersteer,
    large doors?..leaking diff? jk nice truck OP

9. Jul 5, 2012 at 5:23 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    OP...your 8.4 rear diff is stout. No need for a diff skid unless you back up into a rock - the rear of the case is the weak part. IMHO all diff diapers do on a 8.4 is lower you clearance, collect crud, and ask to get bashed. If your really worried about your diff get something that will actually save it

http://www.yankeetoys.org/black900rr/diffarmor.html with some adjustments it will fit a 8.4 rear

10. Jul 5, 2012 at 8:04 PM
    Hiker

Hiker Well-Known Member

Member:
    HotZona
    Nice.. You get better gas milegae then me..

I get the same hum... Not sure what it is.. It's not the a/c cause the hum doesn't vary when the system gets turned on or off.

As for skid plate, the first one I'd get is to protect your cross pipe......have you seen where it runs?

11. Jul 5, 2012 at 8:07 PM
    Hiker

Hiker Well-Known Member

Member:
    HotZona

It's gotta be your humidity that's driving your AC crazy. Mine blows ice cold in 112 degrees in a black truck...

12. Jul 5, 2012 at 8:14 PM
    FarmBoyTaco

FarmBoyTaco Work Hard, Stay Humble

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    California
    Vehicle:
    '12 TRD Off-Road DCSB MGM
    "TRD DBLD LB"? Do you mean DCLB?

Products Discussed in

To Top