1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2012 Tacoma vs 2012 Jeep Wrangler

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by SLOJAM, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Mar 12, 2012 at 9:14 PM
    Fightnfire

Fightnfire Recklessly tired

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Marysville, WA
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab V6 4X4
    Softopper, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75 in the front, TSB Rear, 17x8.5 Lvl 8 Guardians, 265/70-17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Scooped, Anytime fog mod, Osram Nightbreakers, LED Interior lights, Debadged, Painted valance, Removed rear head rests, De-flapped, Hidden Hitch installed, Weather Techs, Flyzeye'd A/W/A, Cover Kings,... oh and the hot wife mod.
    Kids.

I would put my kids in the back seat of the Tacoma. I won't let them go near a Jeep backseat. The safety ratings are way better on the Tacoma, best in class.

2. Mar 12, 2012 at 9:29 PM
    BRUIN8124

BRUIN8124 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    VACATIONLAND
    Vehicle:
    03 4runner Sport Edition 4WD
    That is a great question! Bad luck? Poor quality? Abuse from previous renters? Meteor? Who knows? All I know is that I am out a few hundred $$$. The whole experience put a real bad taste in my mouth regarding Jeeps.

3. Mar 17, 2012 at 4:57 AM
    StandupTaco

StandupTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC TRD Sport
    Last time I checked the interior of our Tacoma was plastic so not sure where you're coming from there. I like both and just gave my Tacoma 2010 TRD Sport to my wife and I just picked up a 2012 Jeep JKUR. It is very nice to drive, and isn't any harder on the bumps then my Tacoma was, Really! The dash looks waaay better in the Jeep then the Tacoma and dressed in Black leather is really sets the interior apart. I prefer to drive the Jeep, but seeing it's new, that's expected but the feel is better to me. I have 2200kms on it now and it rocks!
    To each their own, but I wanted to keep the Tacoma in the family to at least have a truck to use for hauling stuff around.
    To compare the Tacoma offroad to the Jeep isn't a fair comparison, different purposes and equipment and we all know the Jeep wins offroad.
    The new engine in the Jeep is an absolute improvement and I find not gearing back to 5th on the hills if I want to maintain speed but If I want to accellerate and hard I need to gear back. It's comparable to what the Tacoma was/is getting for fuel mileage. Here in Canada I get 22-24 MPG in the Tacoma and 21-22 in the Jeep but it isn't broke in yet which I'm told will improve when it does. We'll see...
    So, speaking from experience, both are beautiful rigs, get similar mileage but have different purposes/setup and drive nice so it all comes down to what you need to do with it, either should make you happy!

Here's ours!
    006.jpg

4. Mar 17, 2012 at 5:41 AM
    Wvharleyman16

Wvharleyman16 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport
    Bull Bar
    You need to take into consideration, what you are going to do with the vehicle.
    I love my Taco, but I think a Wrangler would be a blast to cruise around in with the tip and doors off. But I need a truck to haul and work out of.

5. Mar 17, 2012 at 6:26 AM
    socal147

socal147 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    patrick
    Apple Valley Kalifornia
    Vehicle:
    12 PreRunner SR5
    Just Bought It = NONE
    It is a new engine that can not yet be programmed for different gearing or tire size. It has less displacement that the prior years. I just traded off my fully modded Ruby. Basically got sick of it. They are badazz offroad but lack in all other areas. JMO

6. Mar 17, 2012 at 7:34 AM
    Moose1988

Moose1988 ____livevil____

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    THE BOOSTED STORMTROOPER
    Check Build >>>>
    I had a 98 wrangler. 4 cyl Manual, 4x4, soft top, 4" Lift, etc. Was a fun little Jeep. It was my first car actually. Was in highschool so the soft top was definitely a plus. :) I drove it 60 miles round trip to work and back then. Was LOUD with the soft top. Stereo was almost useless. couldn't haul anything, the 4 cyl was horrible for mpg with 33" tires. Lol. It was solid off road. Even with 4 wheel drive and open diffs. I had It for a couple years before getting my 01 Tacoma.. never looked back. Now Im on Taco number 3.

The jeeos are fun, especially the soft tops. I always had mine down here In Az. But practical for my.needs? No. But, your situation may be different. If you don't need a bed, or don't mind the noise, get a jeep. They are great offroad, but to me.. they seem more bare minimum and less practical than our tacos. Atleast if you go with the 2 door soft top.

7. Mar 19, 2012 at 3:23 PM
    MaloneS

MaloneS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    The Woodlands, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Offroad
    Wet Okole, OME 2.5" lift and front bearing drop, leaf shims, Xtreme HID's, 33" tires on 17" MT Locks

Look at all the aftermarket for jeeps than toyota; blows us away. And just in comparison with his 06 Wrangler to my 08 Tacoma and what mods he has put on; they are much easier to work on as well as not having as much drivability issues. His was like plug and play and mine was like plug, what the hell is that noise, and that vibration...buy more mods take some off...better but still there...etc etc. I love my Tacoma, but hate this vib. issue. Lot more money and time has to be put in. Mind you that this is all my opinion and experience.

8. Mar 19, 2012 at 3:27 PM
    MaloneS

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    The Woodlands, TX
    Vehicle:
    Wet Okole, OME 2.5" lift and front bearing drop, leaf shims, Xtreme HID's, 33" tires on 17" MT Locks

I wrote service for Jeep for a little bit and did see a LOT of cracked windshields; dunno why though.

9. Mar 19, 2012 at 4:17 PM
    lundy

lundy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2010 DBLC 4x4 Off Road
    I've had a lot of vibes too. Still do, no longer a diff vibe but something else the dealer can't figure out. Their solution "Vibrations are normal for Tacoma's with leveling kits and 265/70R17's"... Had Jeep released the 2012 with the new engine prior to me buying my truck I'd probably be rolling a fully color matched 2012 Rubicon.

10. Mar 19, 2012 at 4:21 PM
    lundy

lundy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2010 DBLC 4x4 Off Road
    Probably the same reason as the FJ? The nearly straight up and down profile doesn't exactly deflect rocks and pebbles on the highway...

11. Mar 19, 2012 at 4:46 PM
    1FSTLS1

1FSTLS1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Have fun fixing you jeep while my truck is still not broke. I have both 2010 Tacoma and 2000 Jeep. I will sell you my jeep.

12. Mar 20, 2012 at 5:38 AM
    MaloneS

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    The Woodlands, TX
    Vehicle:
    I will say that you are right on this. Still don't like the vibes :confused:

13. Mar 20, 2012 at 6:57 AM
    custom90gt

custom90gt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    05 SWB TRD Off Road
    My tacoma has already cost me more in repair bills than my 99TJ. Only problem with my TJ is I couldn't haul stuff around like my Taco...

14. May 26, 2012 at 12:10 PM
    stowayman

stowayman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Monterey, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 DC 4X4 TRD O/R - Debadged
    Kenwood DNX9980HD Nav - BT - Sirius - backup camera, Weathertech digifits, maglite mod, 14" billet antenna
    I had an 04 Rubicon... It was an extremely capable off roader in all conditions and in stock form. Despite it being the better off road choice by far, my tacoma O/R beats it hands down in every other category. Plus, try writing a wrangler off as a business vehicle - (I do know a very talented CPA, however) :eek:

15. May 26, 2012 at 12:24 PM
    Schwinn

Schwinn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Georgina, ON
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport with Trail Teams package
    I would have looked at a Jeep, except for one thing--towing. I've had people tell me they are now fine, but I'd be nervous zipping down the highway with my 3 000lb pop up behind me, especially if it was a little breezy.

16. May 26, 2012 at 2:09 PM
    JayDawg

JayDawg Christian Pastor. Need prayer,have questions? Ask

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Sterling, Co. via San Diego, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4x4 Access Cab TRD Off Road Package
    4-PIAA 80 Racing Series Off Road Lights, Randy Ellis Design Light Bar, Bilstein 5100 Shocks, Rear Leaf TSB, Mickey Thompson Classic Lock wheels, fog light mod, more to come...
    Right before I bought my Tacoma, I ordered a Jeep Wrangler 4x4. At the time, the build kept getting delayed and I needed a 2nd vehicle. I remembered my old 97' Tacoma that I loved and got online and built a Tacoma to my specs after researching the new ones. That was on a Saturday night. The next day, I went to our local dealership. It was closed due to it being a Sunday but to my amazement, the exact truck that I had built online was on their lot. I went back on Monday to inquire about it. It had an M.S.R.P. of I think $28,600.00. It was more money than the Jeep I had ordered but they offered me a deal I could not refuse. It was the end of September and they had had the truck since February. They also said the truck had slight wind damage from getting sandblasted in a storm so Toyota was having them take off something like $1,800.00 for that. With that deduction, the dealership offered me the truck for $24,400.00 out the door on a 2007 Tacoma 4x4 Access Cab TRD Off Road Package with 6 speed manual with a handful of other options. Needless to say, I jumped at the deal. To this day I still can't find the wind damage from where the truck allegedly got sandblasted. It also still has a trade in value at 22k even though it has been almost 5 years since I purchased it. The Jeep on the other hand, had I bought it, would probably have a trade in value of maybe 10k if I had gone the route. While I love the Jeep Rubicon for Off Roading, that is the only thing I like about them better than the Tacoma. Yes, I wish my truck had some of those options but I am very happy with the choice I made.

17. May 26, 2012 at 2:49 PM
    zonataco

zonataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    I've had Jeeps all of my adult life, I really enjoy them. I currently have an '06 Rubicon Unlimited I purchased new. It's damn near unstoppable off road, I rarely even need 4wd.
    My wife bought herself a new DC OR 4wd Taco when she graduated in '06, great truck. I found myself wanting to drive it whenever we went out. The truck got totaled and was replaced with an '11 DC OR Prerunner. Whenever we got out, we take the Taco.
    The Jeep is great off road. While it's not a horrible ride around town, it's nowhere near as nice as the Taco. The Jeep is also lacking storage room.
    Jeeps have always been reliable for me, never understood all of the bashing about them being unreliable. It's a fun vehicle...doors off, top off, etc. Ever since we got the first Taco though, I've been tempted to sell the Rubi and get a Taco of my own. The Taco is much more refined, almost like driving a car but having the added benefits of a truck.
    Haven't parted with the Jeep yet, but it's inevitable.

18. Sep 11, 2012 at 7:47 AM
    Desert Drifter

Desert Drifter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Central Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4x4, SR5
    Icon MT suspension, Pelfreybuilt front bumper, Relentless skids, Avid sliders, Avid custom rack. Pelfreybilt HC Rear bumper.
    Wrangler compared to Tacoma is an apples and oranges comparo.
    If you need a pickup bed to haul stuff (like Me) any pickup beats the Wrangler. If you want a trail vehicle the short wheelbase Wrangler has to beat a longer pickup. I chose Tacoma Access Cab 4x4.

19. Sep 11, 2012 at 8:04 AM
    MrTacoma

MrTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Base v6
    None
    Lol why would you hate ask this on Tacoma forum ? Everyone is going to say get the Toyota ..I dOnt know much about the wrangler besides my friend has and his sits in the shop more then his driveway ...

20. Sep 11, 2012 at 9:50 AM
    gwos25

gwos25 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport
    I've never owned an older jeep, but did test drive an '12 JKUL, 6 speed, and was unimpressed with the engine performance. Guess I had higher hopes for 285hp and 260ft lbs. I also test drove (and later purchased) a 2012 Tacoma DCSB 6 speed. If you ask me, the Toyota's 4.0 was more fun to drive, as it has more low end torque, and you don't miss the extra hp on top. 0-60 are near identical for both, so I'm not sure what the Jeep does with it's extra 40ish hp? I didn't choose on engine performance alone, it's was a family vehicle, and 2 Lab's, a baby, and wife in the JKUL would have been tight!

To Top