1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2012 Whistling sound indentified

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Appljaxx, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Dec 14, 2014 at 6:28 AM
    V0X

V0X Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Ooltewah, TN
    TRD Pro Grille, MB TKO Wheels, BFG TA KO 265 70R17, Pop and Lock (color matched), Undercover SE Tonneau.
    I have a 2015 AC Sport that has the whistle at highway speeds. Very annoying. Thanks for the heads up on the probable causes. Doesn't appear Toyota has made the necessary changes. The only mod I have done is a short billet aluminum antenna, don't think that would be it.

2. Dec 14, 2014 at 6:37 AM
    Plain Jane Taco

Plain Jane Taco ALL human beings deserve equal treatment

Member:
    USA
    I've got a '13 and it's never made the whistling sound. Lucky, I guess.

3. Dec 16, 2014 at 6:24 AM
    ClarksvilleJim

ClarksvilleJim New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Clarksvile TN
    Vehicle:
    2013 PreRunner TRD Sport
    DeeZee Nurf and Bull Bar
    My Tacoma was 28 miles from the warranty being up. I took it in for an oil change and asked if there was a fix yet for the whistling.

Turns out there is a fix. They replaced the seal for free that was causing the issue.

No whistling anymore.

4. Dec 16, 2014 at 6:38 AM
    glwood6

glwood6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    03 XCab Prerunner
    Bilstein 4600 shocks.
    Which seal was causing the whistle that they replaced?

5. Dec 22, 2014 at 9:42 AM
    stanhope

stanhope Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chattanooga, TN
    Vehicle:
    12 DCSB O/R
    Toytec Alum 2.5”, OEM roof rack, OEM skid plate, Leer shell
    Which seal are you refferring to? I'm in a similar situation with my warranty.

6. Dec 22, 2014 at 10:11 AM
    MondoRides

MondoRides Hold my beer, now watch this...

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB TRD Sport Mag Grey 4x4
    Windshield seal. I had mine done last year.

7. Dec 26, 2014 at 7:08 AM
    trdtoydriver

trdtoydriver Active Member

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2014 B. Red Baja TRD TX
    I have the same sound and it does sound like it is coming from about the mirror height of my driver door going down the road at 83 with a little crosswind. I had time to mess with it while I was driving and what I noticed was if I just barely hit the window down button it goes away immediately. When I say down barely the window is not even cracked open but still in the upper groove. Probably less than a mm down action with no wind felt then as soon as I snug up the window it would start again. I did this over and over as a test and every time the sound would go away when just bumped down and would come back when window was snugged up. I don't know what to do about it or what would cause that so if anyone has an idea I am listening? I will probably ask dealer but it sounds like I won't get far. I will look at all the door seals but I don't know how that would relate to the window snugged or not.

BTW...I did try the tube along the grille and headlights but that didn't change it or make it go away.

8. Dec 28, 2014 at 8:56 PM
    A1engineer

A1engineer Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma Off Road Double
    I have a 2012 Tacoma. Noticed whistling when I purchased truck used one year ago. Dealer changed windshield (after I found tsb) and did not fix issue. I replaced grill with Rigid Industries grill and no change. I will try tubing fix this week.

9. Jan 2, 2015 at 4:33 PM
    trdtoydriver

trdtoydriver Active Member

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2014 B. Red Baja TRD TX
    Took it in to dealer today for a scheduled appointment. No crosswind and couldn't make it do it they said. No TSB's yet either so no fix from them. Got my seat belt dinger adjusted so it wasn't worthless. I will probably try some door seal tweeks when we have a cross wind day that I can make it happen over and over while I make changes. Let you know what I find then.....

10. Jan 2, 2015 at 4:48 PM
    jmaack

jmaack Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Helena Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Skewped hood silver 4runner
    Ome, Sqeak free dakars, arms, skids, sliders.
    I went in last Monday. Same issue. Will try again one day when I can be without truck for a while.

11. Jan 5, 2015 at 8:50 PM
    RigidIndustries

RigidIndustries Built To Be Seen

Member:
    Gilbert, AZ
    A new Rigid Grille :D
    We would love to see it! Can you add a photo of your build to our Grille Thread?

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/354340-rigid-industries-led-grille-shout-outs-05-tacoma.html

Thank you for your business and support!

Good luck on getting that whistle taken care of!

Cheers!

12. May 17, 2015 at 9:53 AM
    Jefferson10

Jefferson10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    San Luis Obispo
    Vehicle:
    11' TRD Off Road 4x4
    AFE ProDry Drop in Filter, Wet Okole Seat Covers (front and Back),Truck Champ side steps (Black), Debadged, BFG KO2 265/75/16, OME 90021 w/ 885 in front, OME 60091 with Wheelers Progressive AAL pack (1.5") in rear
    Hey everyone. I've been experiencing a high pitched whistling noise but not like the ones you are talking about with the grill or windshield. Mine seems to be coming from the top of the door during high wind (doesn't matter direction) at highway speeds. It only does it when there is quite a bit, and isn't so much constant, but is just as annoying. Just wondering if anyone has had this issue, and how you fixed it.

13. May 17, 2015 at 4:26 PM
    NMTrailRider

NMTrailRider Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Mexico
  14. Oct 29, 2015 at 4:42 PM
    dy2

dy2 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Duane
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 2014 Limited Double Cab Long Bed
    Remote tail gate lock, Extang Tri-Fold tonneau cover
    I've experienced the kazoo sound now for two years on my new 2014 Limited Tacoma. In addition to the "kazoo at highway speed with cross wind" on both driver and passenger doors I also have an annoying rustling/humming sound near my left ear which seems to be caused by the door rubbing against the internal soft seal. In addition to these issues the driver's side door has an inordinate amount of ambient noise at city traffic speeds. Examples: I very clearly hear cars drive by, people talking, excessive wind noise at low and high speed. It's almost as though the window was slightly rolled down. First dealership service tech scheduler I dealt with acted like he had never heard of it before and he could never hear it even after two test drives exceeding 45 minutes in total. He acted as though I was a kook. He denied that anyone there could hear the sounds and were unable to duplicate them or fix the problems. I finally gave up on him and made appointment with assistant service manager to take test drive; she heard the humming rustling sound and agreed that the kazoo sound was an issue she had heard about. She tried to get the problems fixed but ultimately could not. She then brought in a regional tech who deemed the rustling and ambient noises to be normal and there was nothing further they could do. He installed felt spacers on both doors for kazoo sound which did nothing to eliminate it. I was furious after so much time and effort to be blown off by the "regional service god". I called Toyota who told me his word was final. I didn't take that as the final word and asked whether another dealership could try to fix it under warranty? Representative said they could. I explained all the issues to and took truck to 2nd dealership who could hear rustling noise right away and played video for her of kazoo sound so she understood it. In two separate visits they have replaced drivers side door latch and the bottom molding on outside of drivers side window which have had no effect whatsoever on the noises. She recommended I call 1-800-go-toyota which I did today. I had an unpleasant conversation with a case manager and in the end applied for a lemon law judgement. This takes 30 days and which I'm sure will come back as denied since they )Toyota) judge it themselves!! I've read through this entire thread and it's not 100% clear that anyone has found a for sure fix for the Kazoo sound and the humming/rustling sound near my left ear was only mentioned by one poster who used a lubricant? Will someone please chime in if they are 100% sure their remedy fixed these annoying problems with what is otherwise a great vehicle? Thank you all!!

15. Oct 29, 2015 at 5:06 PM
    Bluegrass Taco

Bluegrass Taco Politically incorrect low tech redneck

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Mt Washington Ky
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB, TRD OR, 5100's, 885's 285/75r16 Cooper STT PROs.
    You could have just left it as is and had yourself an integrated deer whistle system....Then the deer could have ignored a built in system instead of ignoring those ridiculous little "horns" people stick to their bumpers thinking deer won't run in front of you if you have 'em.

A good friend owns a body shop. He's been in business 35 years. He has a piece of plywood fastened to his shop wall with about 300 sets of deer whistles glued to it. They are ALL off cars that he has fixed after they hit deer.

16. Oct 29, 2015 at 6:40 PM
    Devldawgy

Devldawgy Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Albany, NY
    Vehicle:
    2012 Red TRD Sport
    Bed Mat, All Season Floor Mats, ( winter, northern NY),
    I have had the similar "annoying rustling" noise above my left ear. It is a crackling sound, very annoying and inconsistent. I took it to my dealer and they cleaned the rubber door seals and surrounding areas. It worked well for a time period, but comes back. I am diligent now about cleaning the seals and door jams. Seems to help.
    I have noticed it seems to be cold weather related also. More noticeable in the winter.

17. Oct 29, 2015 at 7:38 PM
    willphoto

willphoto Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    I have the noise in my 2015 and had it in my 2011 as well. Toyota re-set the windscreen but it didn't help at all, made it worse. I'd love to have this problem go away! For me it seems to be the windscreen though, not the grill.

18. May 2, 2017 at 5:12 AM
    Cards Fan

Cards Fan New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    GRay
    Vehicle:
    15 Tacoma 4x4
    My 2015 does this exact same thing. Also, a friend with an older one does it, and the cook at a restaurant i frequent. the dealership acts like I am crazy. they know this is real. this could be my last Toyota, after having a 05 Corolla and a 14 Prius V.

Products Discussed in

To Top