1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2013 Air Conditioning, is it working as well as it should?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by CaptainBDSC, Jun 24, 2017.

?

Is 2nd gen AC generally unsatisfactory?

1. Yes

11 vote(s)
    29.7%
  2. No, if it is working properly

26 vote(s)
    70.3%
  1. Jun 24, 2017 at 10:25 PM
    CaptainBDSC

CaptainBDSC [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2013 grey V6 4x4 Double Cab Long Bed
    Stock
    Hi,

I am wondering if my air conditioning is working as well as it should. I've been suspicious that it is not, but today I took a 30 min drive at around 60mph and I had it on max AC. Fan speed max, coldest setting, recirculating air with it being about 90F outside on a sunny day. During that time you would think I would have to dial it back a bit, but no, I never even got close to be uncomfortably cool. I can hold my hand in front of the vent and not have to move it away, ever. In most vehicles if I do that my hand freezes!

So is this normal for a Tacoma or should I have it looked at?

I bought it a few months back, certified pre-owned, from a Toyota dealer and bought a 6yr/72k mile warranty, so I hope it is covered if there is an issue...

Thanks in advance for your opinions!
    - Brent

2. Jun 24, 2017 at 10:33 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    You should take it back and have them check the R134a charge. My 2012 freezes my hand when driving.

3. Jun 24, 2017 at 10:33 PM
    koditten

koditten Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Central Michigan
    Vehicle:
    04 trd x-cab 4 x 4 3.4l
    Reserected from the dead.
    It is common for 2nd gens to come from the factory with insufficient refrigerant. Unfortunately your dealership warranty is worthless. Most dealerships farm out A/C work. Fortunately your repair is not that expensive.

CaptainBDSC[OP] likes this.
  4. Jun 24, 2017 at 10:34 PM
    SilverBullet19

SilverBullet19 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Sacramento County
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB Prerunner TRD Sport
    It all depends on conditions. If its hot, and there's a high UV index/very sunny, I will make it all the way to work (~50 minutes) without taking it off the max setting. The car cools down and is comfortable, but the sun is still baking the windows and doing its best to heat everything up. You're also getting warm air through the front end. When its cooler (75 or lower), that max setting gets really cold, really fast.

But, by all means, swing by the dealer and have them take a look. If it doesn't feel right, maybe its not.

Lord Helmet and CaptainBDSC[OP] like this.
  5. Jun 25, 2017 at 7:01 AM
    Zac of all trades

Zac of all trades FWP Fabrication Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    fwpfab.com
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 Locked DCLB
    886/5100s/AAL/UCAs/360 armor/RTT/295 17s
    I also have a 2013 and i have been noticing that the "coolness" of the air fluctuates a bit. The air will blow cold, then it will get a little warmer, then a little cooler.

I it just needs to be recharged.

6. Jun 25, 2017 at 7:24 AM
    Johnjaz

Johnjaz Well-Known Member

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    07 DCSB 4x4 Sport
    Dented Bumper
    I feel the same way about my 07. I think it could blow colder and that the blower could blow harder. I may roll the dice and pick up a new blower to see if it helps. Also gonna go get my tint upgraded; as I get older the AZ summers suck more and more.

7. Jun 25, 2017 at 7:27 AM
    Lester Lugnut

Lester Lugnut Well-Known Member

Member:
    N of Mex-S of Canada-E of LA-W of NC
    Vehicle:
    '15 Tacoma PreRunner V6 SR5 Auto
    My 2015 6 cyl blows 38F-40F air at the center vents once underway in high 90s weather. Air temp is good; I've never been overly impressed with air flow.

8. Jun 25, 2017 at 7:36 AM
    Jake1530

Jake1530 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TRD
    Captain BDSC thank you for posting this question. Reminds me of something I was taught a long time ago. There’s no such thing as a dumb question because there are probably other people wondering the same thing. This time it’s me, I Have a 2015 and the past couple of days I’ve been thinking my AC is not up to par. I wouldn’t say it’s been ice cold since the day I bought it but I do have to turn it down once it’s been running a while and I’m cooled off. KODitten THANK YOU for your reply I appreciate what you wrote. I’m going to give my truck a couple more days then see how it goes. KODitten pardon me if I ask you this. Its been your experience that the Tacomas come off the line not fully charged? That makes me feel good and bad. Good because misery likes company and knowing I’m not the only one having the issue and that its easily fixable, but bad because it’s a bit disappointing that the TOYOTA (my very first one) that all I’ve been hearing for years what great trucks they are let vehicles not fully set up off the line. Thank you guys for all your help I’ll be following this thread.

Norton and CaptainBDSC[OP] like this.
  9. Jun 25, 2017 at 8:22 AM
    CaptainBDSC

CaptainBDSC [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2013 grey V6 4x4 Double Cab Long Bed
    Stock
    Thanks everyone for your great tips and comments! I will have the refrigerant checked out, and use some of the techniques mentioned here, then I will post back with the results.

Bebop likes this.
  10. Jun 25, 2017 at 8:26 AM
    TegoTaco

TegoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 Super White Tacoma DCLB TRD SPORT
    I find mine to be too cold sometimes, I have to turn the fan speed down.

wilcam47 and Tacomeister like this.
  11. Jun 25, 2017 at 8:49 AM
    FFBlack

FFBlack Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OFF ROAD
    Compressor gets kicked on with a clutch, the speed of the compressor does vary with engine rpm.

Bebop likes this.
  12. Jun 25, 2017 at 8:49 AM
    Bebop

Bebop Old fashion cowboy

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Castle rock Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Tacoma baja
    6inch lift sitting on bilstein coilovers. Lexus is300 studs in front to keep stock wheels, general grabber red letters, nfab front bumper.
    Pressures change as well.

13. Jun 25, 2017 at 8:58 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    Check your cabin air filter as well. Make sure it is clean.

Lester Lugnut likes this.
  14. Jun 25, 2017 at 11:42 AM
    CurtB

CurtB Old Timer knowitall

Member:
    First Name:
    Curt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma SR5
    Can I join in on this pissing match? :D Nope, but I will add this:

Anyone asking about AC on our trucks need to at least get a digital thermometer from Wallyworld or where ever for $10. I'm not expecting them to get a gauge manifold to tell us pressures, especially if they don't know what they are doing. Post the vent temp at an idle, and while driving at speed. It's a start, and no one will get hurt. ;)

Also, ACs in a vehicle use a variable speed compressor, don't they?? They will cool better going down the road than they will idling. This is from compressor rpm and condenser airflow.

igno1tus likes this.
  15. Jun 25, 2017 at 12:27 PM
    Bebop

Bebop Old fashion cowboy

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Castle rock Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Tacoma baja
    6inch lift sitting on bilstein coilovers. Lexus is300 studs in front to keep stock wheels, general grabber red letters, nfab front bumper.
    I don't like the digital gauges that use the laser pointer. I like the good ol adjustable analog thermometer. The laser thermometers measure he surface temperature of whatever the surface is as the stick thermometer will actually measure air temperature. I have both but I prefer the metal stick thermometer

16. Jun 25, 2017 at 2:08 PM
    PennSilverTaco

PennSilverTaco Encyclopedia of useless information...

Member:
    First Name:
    Charlie
    Central Bucks, Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    2010 Zombie Truck
    I brought my 2010 regular cab 2.7L to the dealer for a recall repair in the summer of 2016 and asked them to check the A/C performance. My truck's A/C was blowing about 41°F at the vents when tested in summer 2016. This year I went to Pep Boys and bought two of those little thermometers you stick in the vents. My A/C has not gotten below 50°F unless the "recirc" is on and/or the engine is revved at a constant 2,000-4,000 RPM. Just 3 days ago, I discovered that my A/C was blowing warm and humid outdoor air out of the far right vent, but still blowing ice cubes out of the far left vent. The inner left vent was blowing cold but not ice cold, and the inner right vent was blowing cool but not cold. At night the A/C works fine out of all but the far right vent. When the truck is in motion, regardless of the time of day, the A/C works fine out of the two left vents even with the recirc off.

I talked to my mechanic and he thinks I more than likely need a recharge. He's going to put the refrigerant into a vacuum and pressure test the system. He's also going to put UV dye in the system so if he can't find a major leak and it leaks again, he'll be able to find it with a UV light.

I'm pretty sure your truck only has a leak too...

Bebop likes this.
  17. Jun 25, 2017 at 2:28 PM
    2015WhiteOR

2015WhiteOR Well-Known Member

Member:
    Gainesville TX
    Make sure you clean the AC condenser in case it is clogged up with debris. I seem to recall a thread about a year ago where a guy complained about weak AC and then realized that his condenser was caked with mud from offroading.

18. Jun 25, 2017 at 2:51 PM
    Lester Lugnut

Lester Lugnut Well-Known Member

Member:
    N of Mex-S of Canada-E of LA-W of NC
    Vehicle:
    '15 Tacoma PreRunner V6 SR5 Auto
    I do this at home as well on the HVAC system every spring. Same for the back of an upright freezer that I have in the garage. Clean condenser coils shed heat more easily.

2015WhiteOR[QUOTED] and TacoCat like this.
  19. Jun 25, 2017 at 3:42 PM
    JdevTac

JdevTac Bawnjourno

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    GA/WA
    Vehicle:
    2nd gen
    Tacoma A/C system sucks worse than my 02 4Runner. Takes significantly longer for the Tacoma to start blowing cold air with same vent setting practices as the 4Runner. In 15 min the 4Runner will be freezing my ass out. Takes twice that for the Tacoma on a same temp day and driving scenario.

Based on some others commentary I might at least get it finally checked out if maybe it just came out with a subpar charge from factory.

TacoCat likes this.
  20. Jun 25, 2017 at 3:56 PM
    TacoCat

TacoCat These pretzels are making me thirsty

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny-5
    Chantilly, VA
    Vehicle:
    22 JLUR 6MT
    Mine is the same way. I had a 99 camry before this taco and it could probably freeze my balls to the seat. Since day 1 the taco has been unimpressive with ac performance.

PennSilverTaco likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top