1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2013 Ordered - Need Some Opinions

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by Binny, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Apr 8, 2013 at 8:16 AM
    Binny

Binny [OP] Member

Member:
    Ok so I have been waiting and waiting and just ordered my 2013 Tacoma Access Cab manual 4x4 4cyl. It will not be a true offroad truck. I am a hunter and fisherman who needs to be able to get through some " less then desirable roads " and have an leg up on bad weather. This is also my computer car. So, what I am looking for is lift and tire recommendations with mpg in mind. I deff know I will be loosing mpg by changing anything from stock. I am just looking for a happy medium with a little bit of an aggressive look without turning the truck into a dog. I was thing 1-2 in lift . But I'm clueless with tires. Don't think I want more then 10.5 wide. What do u guys think. I drive 35 miles each way to work. Thanks in advance.

2. Apr 8, 2013 at 1:26 PM
    azreb

azreb Geezer

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    '20 SR5 crew cab; gray
    camper shell, front camera, floor mats, cheap bed mat, dash camera, catalytic converter cover, fumoto
    I don't know what constitutes "less than desirable roads" where you are, but my stock '09 4x4 does great on any "less than desirable roads" in my hunting and fishing area. I doubt that a lift will have any significant benefit in bad weather. But then, I am an old geezer (55 years of 4-wheeling) and am more concerned with reliability and economy than the looks of my truck.

3. Apr 9, 2013 at 5:24 PM
    Binny

Binny [OP] Member

Member:
    As far as less then desirable, a lot of the roads are dirt and when the rain comes it gets pretty ugly fast. I just want a little more clearance with a bigger tire without putting mpg in the shitter. I am concerned because of the 4cly. Would like to keep it in the 20mpg range. Any suggestions.

4. Apr 9, 2013 at 7:50 PM
    azreb

azreb Geezer

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    '20 SR5 crew cab; gray
    camper shell, front camera, floor mats, cheap bed mat, dash camera, catalytic converter cover, fumoto
    As a general rule, wider tires result in lower mpg, all other factors (diameter, pressure, + ?) being equal. Taller ones could very well drop the mpg, too. For my purposes, I would stick with stock size tires, maybe go with good mud and snow tires in load range C. However, M&S tires most likely will cost in mpg on the highway. I would carry tire chains for bad situations. Most of the back roads I run are not bogs when they get wet. There are usually ways to avoid the deep ruts when things get muddy. When it gets really bad the FS usually closes the areas anyway.

Depending on your driving habits and the traffic in your part of the world, your should still get better than 20 mpg with slightly taller tires. There are plenty of threads in this site where folks have discussed their mpg losses with lifted trucks. Maybe someone who has tried it will chime in.

5. Apr 10, 2013 at 10:11 AM
    EatMyTacomaDust

EatMyTacomaDust Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 "Black Beauty" Baja DC 4x4
    ICON 3" LIFT, Console Vault, Tailgate Security Clamp MOD, SuperBumper Crash Attenuator, TRD Front Skid Plate, Wet Okoles - 1/2 Piped, Undercover SE Tonneau
    Congrats on ordering your new 2.7 Binny. My 2.7 is pretty much bone stock and I am viewing my truck alot like yours - not a full on off roader, but a 4x4 than can get me through some sticky situations.

My Tacoma has performed excellent so far in the Washington snow and heavy rains. I have stock Dunlop tires on and they have done pretty well. I do want to change to a better tire.

For tires I am just about resolved on a BF Goodrich All Terrain in either 265 70 r16 or 265 75 r16. These will go on my stock steelie rims.

Eventually I hope to put a 3" Old Man Emu Lift on which will require new UCA's to allow proper adjustment of the caster for my tire alignment.

I'm averaging close to 23 mpgs and gas mileage is very important to me and I am figuring I can stay around 20 mpgs with the changes above.

6. Apr 18, 2013 at 12:35 PM
    Binny

Binny [OP] Member

Member:
    What do u think about skinny and tall on a stock suspension. Like a 235/85/16. People say it will fit. U think It will kill the milage.

7. Apr 18, 2013 at 2:47 PM
    Silver Streak

Silver Streak Well-Known Member

Member:
    Westin Bull Bar
    adding any bigger tire will affect mileage due to the excess weight... not as bad as a wider tire though.

8. Apr 28, 2013 at 5:42 AM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    You will be happy with 5100's to level out your truck, improve suspension over stock with a minimal lift. I would not go over 265/75/16's in tire size. :cool:

Products Discussed in

To Top