1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2013 taco having steering wheel shakes

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Kingdesgn, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Jun 11, 2013 at 8:02 PM
    Tech1

Tech1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego California
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport
    Hey guys I can't stress this enough please call Toyota Motor
    Corporation and National highway safety board . They don't know there's an
    Issue if we don't file complaints. You can find the numbers for Toyota on line and you File complaint at National Highway Safety right from there site they
    Are both pretty easy to do. At this time I waiting for attorney
    To call me to look into the lemon law here in California

Good luck everyone

2. Jun 25, 2013 at 9:02 AM
    Tech1

Tech1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego California
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport
    My 2012 does it and the dealer could only duplicate once so they rotated and balanced but problem persist. Since this can be intermittent it's hard for them to nail down, they will only do repairs if they can duplicate what a headache. I'm now at 10,000 miles and not sure what to do, I know one thing I will not buy a Tacoma again this is my second one in 12 yrs and I'm done dealing with this again.

I can't stress enough that we all need to file complaint with Toyota so they can stop the lying and acting like they don't have a clue what's going on. I got told it's just road feedback, what a bunch of BS.

Toyota Motor Corporation
    1-800-331-4331
    Fax 1-310-468-7814

PS. Please post solution if you found one

Thanks, Jon

3. Jun 25, 2013 at 2:08 PM
    jw1983

jw1983 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    13' Tacoma Access 4x4 OR
    My 2013 Access Cab has been doing it since 5000 km's. It went away for a few hundred km's when I changed from winter to summer rims and tires. They did a balance during that change, it came back. When I owned my 11' double cab I never had any problems with wheel shake. Not sure why the Access Cab should be any different.

4. Jun 25, 2013 at 7:23 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    My Dunlop AT20's run fine on the stock steel wheels... Smooth as butter at all speeds.

5. Jun 26, 2013 at 12:26 AM
    ducati

ducati thie-trickster

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Carlsbad, CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC 4x4 Black
    Icon coils, Squeaky dakars, Thule rack, tinted windows, weathertech rain guards, Demello off road front bumper, warn winch, shok sound deadening.
    Dude, calm down with the lemon law stuff. I know it may be a big deal to you but some of us would prefer to find a solution. I get your agenda, but like most people on here, I prefer self help instead of making a big deal about a small issue.

6. Jun 26, 2013 at 12:29 AM
    ducati

ducati thie-trickster

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Carlsbad, CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC 4x4 Black
    Icon coils, Squeaky dakars, Thule rack, tinted windows, weathertech rain guards, Demello off road front bumper, warn winch, shok sound deadening.
    Now I'm gathering this is probably wheel and tire related. Although when I went on a pretty rough road this past weekend I could feel almost every big rock through my steering wheel. Pretty annoying. 2013 4x4 DC with icon coilovers. Any others with this issue? Is it related possibly?

7. Jun 26, 2013 at 1:32 AM
    FawkQ

FawkQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCSB V6 4.0 6M "The Sequel"
  8. Jun 26, 2013 at 1:55 AM
    ducati

ducati thie-trickster

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Carlsbad, CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC 4x4 Black
    Thanks, guess I'll take it in. Hope they don't try to blame it on the lift.

9. Jun 26, 2013 at 12:24 PM
    J4RR

J4RR Well-Known Member

Member:
    The OC
    Vehicle:
    07 DC LB TRD SPORT 4X4
    Wow, its crazy that some of you guys are having this problem right off the lot on 13's. My problem ended up being 3 bent wheels caused by wheeling after that the cause of the vibration was warped brake rotors.
    The steering rag joint rattle is annoying offroad too.

10. Jun 28, 2013 at 8:17 AM
    Tech1

Tech1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego California
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport
    I already posted information about my 2012 Tacoma steering wheel shake, can you or anyone else who;s dealing with this issue post a good video I would really appreciate it. I tried with my iPhone but video has to shakiness .

Jon

11. Aug 29, 2013 at 7:01 AM
    ericf

ericf Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Texas Gulf Coast, Houston
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD offroad 4x4 silver sky.
    lomax tonneau, amp bed extender , bed rug
    I too have had issues with vibration on a 2013 DC tacoma. The problem started at 2500 miles and has continued ( have 9500 now). Appears to be a balance issue that cannot be resolved. Dealer has replaced 3 wheels and 3 tires in an attempt. It has gotten better after they spent the whole day with it, but it isn't resolved. I have since had Discount tires and another tire shop re-balance. The problem has gotten slightly worse.
    This is a Texas edition, so it has the "ultra" wheels (installed by Gulf States). I've gone as far as installing new lug nuts in an attempt to tighten up the mounting tolerances. It too has helped dramatically, but alas, no cure.
    One thing I was told is that the Tacoma wheels have to mounted to a 6 lug jig then mounted to the balancer. Most tire places only use a center hub cone when balancing. I was informed by dealer that this method is incorrect and won't give a true balance on the Tacoma, and especially for these wheels. (since other 3 party attempts have worsened the balance, it could be correct info, they utilized the center cone method).
    I will probably take back to 3rd party tire shop and ask for jig type of balance using the new lug nuts.
    just my .02 and observations.

12. Aug 29, 2013 at 7:28 AM
    western88

western88 Chris b.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    ny countryside
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 4x4 taco Barclona Red
    beather mod Bugsheild backup light mod egr vent
    I got a 2012 acess cab with 40700 miles on it.. with Kelly tires. I had it roated ( cross roated once every 15000 in between the 5000 normal roation). had the same kind of shake like you got at 60-70 then goes away. my local repair shop where I got the tires balanced it three times. so he saying that something coming from the steering column.
    if the pricks from toytoa cant fix it.. it going to be my last taco to own it.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  13. Aug 29, 2013 at 9:25 AM
    jaymac10

jaymac10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kelowna, BC
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport
    OEM Baja Kit
    I don't really have any shaking at highway speeds, but I do feel/hear the steering column rattle every once and a while over rough roads. I think it's usually only during a corner...

I would assume that given the TSB (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/at...eryone-should-get-tsb-done-t-sb-0119-10-2.pdf) was issued way back in 2010 that all newer Tacoma's would come from the factory with the fix already done??

Is that how it works, or do they not actually update production and just leave the TSB there for backup?

14. Aug 29, 2013 at 9:48 AM
    Dangermouse

Dangermouse Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    RG
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2013 Reg Cab 4x4
    Sub'd

I recently changed rims and tires. Running FJ Cruiser steelies with BFG KM 255/75/17 and thought this happening because of the change. Now I think I'll be taking the truck to the dealer.

15. Aug 30, 2013 at 7:28 AM
    Tech1

Tech1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego California
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport
    my 2012 started having this issue at 500 miles and the dealer has re balanced using adapter and road force balance but issue still persist I'm now at 12,000 miles. Not sure if it's a balance issue but this is becoming all to problematic for us Tacoma owners. Like I stated in my other post, you need to call Toyota Corp and file complaint the more complaints the more likely Toyota will get there heads out of their asses and do something.

This will be my last Tacoma , my 2000 had the same issue both stock and issue never got resolved.I'm currently speaking to a lemon law attorney not sure how this will turn out, wish you and all others good luck with this issue.

Jon

16. Dec 14, 2013 at 9:32 AM
    MrFastener

MrFastener Fastener Tech

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Richmond VA
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Xpro
    3" Toytec Ultimate Adj coil over lift with light racing UCA's, Nittos, remote res rear shocks,
    I've had the same balance issue on my 2013 DC. Mine has the 15"TRD beadlocks. After close inspection, it looks like the brake calipers are so close to the inside rim that they actually knock off the stick on wheel weights. It's less than 1/4" and the stick on weights are slightly over 1/8", I though high speed sharp turns were giving me wheel rub but turns out the caliper is hitting those weights. Anyone else with 16" rims on 12's and 13's should pull a wheel and check it. I put spidertrax wheel spacers on but the stick on weights are still in the path of the caliper. Anyone else noticing this?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013

Products Discussed in

To Top