1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2013 Tacoma Android switch when playing music possible?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by dinki, Mar 28, 2023.

1. Mar 28, 2023 at 8:57 AM
    dinki

dinki [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    13 PreRunner I4
    Okay guys. I rolled my 2013 Tacoma off the lot over ten years ago and I still really like it. One thing that I wasn't crazy about is the stock radio integration with my Android phone. I always have to switch to the media input from the radio to hear any kind of audio. I've been living with this for the whole time not wanting to spend any money on a better aftermarket radio.

Imagine my surprise when my teen daughter who is now driving the truck shows me how her iPhone can automatically play music without having to change inputs! I was shocked.

My question to you guys is 1) why can't I do this with my Android phone and 2) CAN I do this with my Android phone?

2. Mar 28, 2023 at 10:19 AM
    Revelations

Revelations Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM DCSB
    Do you play media from your BT android phone? Mine will automatically play when I get back in the truck if I shut the truck off while it was playing from my phone. However, I know the 12/13 tacomas had different radios than the 14/15, so it may not work for android in the 12/13 radio. I have a samsung S20 and a 2014, so it may also depend on your phone.

3. Mar 28, 2023 at 11:03 AM
    dinki

dinki [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    13 PreRunner I4
    Thanks for the reply. My Tacoma has radio model 57053 on the faceplate. I've had a range of phones over the course of owning the truck and none have worked. My current phone is a Motorola Moto G Stylus 5G.

To be clear, I'm talking about it switching from playing an FM radio station to whatever started playing on my daughter's iPhone automatically. I am trying to get it to do this for me and it does not do this with any of the Android phones I have had or have currently. It does play fine if I manually switch to that input and will continue to play as long as that input is selected.

4. Mar 28, 2023 at 11:08 AM
    Revelations

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM DCSB
    So if the truck is on and in FM mode, and your daughter's phone connects to it, it will automatically switch to playing her media? It still sounds the same as mine. Maybe ask a friend who has a galaxy phone to pair and see if it works the same or not. I've only had samsung phones for the last 8 years or so, so I'm not sure if another phone would be different. If yours has entune, I would suggest getting the update for it. Dealers can also install any updates.

Stevie17 likes this.
  5. May 7, 2023 at 6:44 AM
    IMissDrugs

IMissDrugs Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have a similar situation if anyone has input. I, primary driver, have an android that's connected first. Yet when my wife gets in the truck, she has an iPhone, it will take priority over my primary device. I'll be leaving for work trying got get my tunes going and her phone will automatically connect from inside the house. Is there any way to set android priority over the iPhone? Not trying to thread jack, but this seems very similar.

6. May 8, 2023 at 4:50 AM
    dinki

dinki [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    13 PreRunner I4
    This is not similar to what I posted originally but I did get my answer so I'll unwatch this thread. Maybe someone will give you the answer you need. Good luck

7. May 8, 2023 at 5:34 AM
    Revelations

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM DCSB
    If you look at the devices listed in the connected device page, does it show the iphone in the #1 position?

Products Discussed in

To Top