1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2013 Tacoma fuel system and long startup?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 4cyl4ever, May 22, 2018.

1. May 22, 2018 at 7:48 PM
    4cyl4ever

4cyl4ever [OP] Member

Member:
    Hello,

I'm new here with my first Tacoma that I bought last July. It's a 2013 single cab 4 cylinder. I bought it with 9800 miles on it and it had 21,xxx on it now.

So the issue I've been having now that's it's been getting warm out is a long startup time. I did a lot of digging and it's apparently very common but no one seems to know how to fix it or it's not a big enough issue for them to try. I think because my truck is black that the issue is happening more and at a lower temperature.

I replaced the battery because it tested bad but still had the issue. Ran premium and seafoam through to try and clean it out and no luck.

After digging the issue seams to be a design flaw in that the fuel pump doesn't pressurize the system when you click the key to on before startup, it only turns on while turning over. So I think the fuel system is loosing pressure or becoming vapor locked or draining back down into the tank.

This has been happening a lot and is very annoying. I have 2 warranties on it but it's not throwing any codes and it has to sit for a while before it happens so you can't just pull in and show them. The dealership I bought it from is 2 1/2 hours away. I'm going to try and get the local place to reflash the computer but if that doesn't work I want to look into installing a fuel check valve somewhere in the fuel line. I need more info on how feasible this is and what a good location would be. Flow and pressure requirements would be great too.

Thanks!

2. May 22, 2018 at 11:57 PM
    Athlaos

Athlaos Destruction Mode

Member:
    First Name:
    Leigh
    Edmonton
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Manual TRD SC 1.87" pulley
    A flux retro-capacitance encabulator
    It's happening to me, but it's not an issue really. It got warm out and it's been taking maybe 2 seconds of cranking to start. It feels like a long time because it started immediately before. I wouldn't worry about it, but how long exactly does it crank in your case before starting?

Also, tell me more about running seafoam through the battery, I am intrigued...

Avsfreak18 and ChemDawg like this.
  3. May 23, 2018 at 12:46 AM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    It doesn't matter where you bought it. For warranty you can go to any dealer for repairs.

Let it sit and then check the fuel pressure.

4. May 23, 2018 at 6:14 AM
    4cyl4ever

4cyl4ever [OP] Member

Member:
    It's anywhere from 3-6 real seconds (counting 1 Mississippi, etc) depending on the day. To the point where I stop cranking and try again sometimes. It isn't instant the 2nd try either. After it's been running or when I leave to work in the morning and it's colder out it's not an issue and there's times it starts on what seems to be the first crank. How do I check the fuel pressure or do I have to take it to the dealer?

I went into the dealer here with a leaky tire and full wheel and tire coverage and it was like they didn't know anything about my warranty.

It's an annoyance and is new and might as well try and fix it while I have the warranties. I worry about this being hard on the starter in the long term.

5. May 23, 2018 at 6:25 AM
    BillsSR5

BillsSR5 Looking out for #1

Member:
    First Name:
    bill
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5
    mines kinda of doing the same thing since warmer weather,i noticed a few times it didn't catch and start right away(2 times) as it usually does and got the idiot lights illuminated like flooded but once I extended the cranking it started up

6. May 23, 2018 at 7:16 AM
    4cyl4ever

4cyl4ever [OP] Member

Member:
    Yeah it didn't happen last summer when I bought it but ever since winter it's been doing it.

7. May 23, 2018 at 7:30 AM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    fuel pump does prime.

put the key in turn it to ON let it sit for a few secs then try cranking.

8. May 23, 2018 at 10:15 AM
    4cyl4ever

4cyl4ever [OP] Member

Member:
    I'm almost certain it doesn't, unless it's completely silent. My old ranger did and I always waited and you could hear it clearly. I tried waiting and it didn't help either way.

9. May 23, 2018 at 3:26 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    If you still have warranty why are you doing anything. It may be a pain but make them honor the warranty. Get Corporate involved if need be. Be NICE but be Firm.

10. May 23, 2018 at 3:39 PM
    DGXR

DGXR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Friend
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 2.7L SR5 2-wheel drive
    I still would suggest you let it sit with the key on for at least 5 seconds before cranking, see if that helps. I can't hear my fuel pump either but I am sure it's running when the ignition is on.

My truck does not have a "long crank when hot" situation but occasionally it seems like it will fire one cylinder and not start. (It flubs, for lack for a better description.) Then on next try it will start up fine. Doesn't even do it all the time, very inconsistent, except that it only happens when it's been sitting between 5-10 minutes approx. My research has shown it's part of the ECM calculation, getting ready for a hot start. One user said "the computer calculates the orbit of the moon before it is ready to fire the injectors." Pretty much sums it up.

11. May 28, 2018 at 8:17 PM
    4cyl4ever

4cyl4ever [OP] Member

Member:
    So my truck sat for multiple days over the weekend and it was very hot. When I got up to leave early in the morning it started up fine and it got me thinking, if it was due to lost pressure then it should have not started to fine because it was baking in the weekend heat.

What if the heat causes the fuel to expand and actually over pressurizes the system causing it to flood on startup because the computer doesn't expect the lunge of fuel. It would make sense then that when the truck cooled down that morning I left it started up fine.

Any thoughts? I let it sit for 5+ seconds and it still did it today,

12. May 28, 2018 at 8:36 PM
    b_r_o

b_r_o Beef jerky time

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB
    The first thing the pcm looks at on startup is coolant temp. If you have access to a simple code/data reader you may be able to catch a funny temp sensor reading when the problem happens

13. May 28, 2018 at 8:52 PM
    timothom

timothom Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma Access cab sr5
    Kenwood DMX7705S PrecisionPower Phantom 900.4 Alpine type-r 8" Image Dyanmics CXS64.2
    You tried running a tank of hi-grade gas yet? See if it has any impact on starting?

14. May 29, 2018 at 10:04 AM
    4cyl4ever

4cyl4ever [OP] Member

Member:
    Yeah I ran premium with seafoam through it. I'll have to try and get my hands on a tester. It's never visually thrown any codes.

Products Discussed in

To Top