1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2013 Tacoma w/jbl&entune turns off then on by itself!

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by tacomalimited, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Aug 25, 2013 at 1:47 PM
    casahac

casahac Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Tollhouse, CA
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD PreRunner Double Cab w/JBL
    What I did was meticulously document each incident; at this many miles on the vehicle, this happened, I did this and this and this and this is what corrected it. I did that for every incident. The fix I got was that they installed a new USB connector cable. It helped a lot but it didn't fix all the problems. I've got maybe close to 1000 miles on it since I switched from my iPod to a 32GB memory stick and I have had no problems with the system.

When I can afford it, I'll be looking at a replacement unit that will still offer things like the backup camera, the steering wheel controls, the USB connection, etc. I'm a bit surprised and disappointed that Toyota seems to be ignoring the issue.

2. Aug 25, 2013 at 1:57 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.
    FWIW ... I had no issues with my Entune-JBL. But I was told .. (by a little birdie :)) .. that if I did not update (update firmware/software & register) the radio initially, some of the new problems would be missed and the radio would remain on the Toyota's aka Dealer's bill with XM.

And this did happen . checked on XM 2 days before I traded the truck and it was still listed as an in-house Toyota Account some 13 months after purchase . :D

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  3. Aug 26, 2013 at 4:10 AM
    VoyageTacoma

VoyageTacoma Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Denver, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma 4x4 TRS Sport
    I have strong doubts when they say that this is the first they've heard of it.

Evidently that's true or complete boloney.

How can the users of this site be more informed than a Toyota Service Dealer??

I honestly think they know and they try to deny the problem.

It bothers me that the problem could be based in a line of code and replacing the radio probably won't fix it at all.

I would like to hear the ongoing story here from everyone who has the same radio and issues. Even if my truck eventually goes out of warranty, I'm not letting this go until they get it right.

My radio has only reset like once in the 2-3 months since I got it replaced, but if the frequency picks up, I'm going to have to do something about it.

I could live with it resetting 4 times a year all things considered.

4. Aug 26, 2013 at 6:52 AM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.
    ... ^^^ ... Ha Ha .. I think that all service departments at all dealership brands are programmed to say this when they are not sure what to do. :confused: . :D

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  5. Aug 26, 2013 at 7:14 AM
    eazyrider711

eazyrider711 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Northern, CO
    Vehicle:
    Black DCSB T|X Baja
  6. Aug 26, 2013 at 7:31 AM
    eazyrider711

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Northern, CO
    Vehicle:
    Black DCSB T|X Baja
    My half-assed theory is that this is related to the BlueTooth module and how it is connected. I think/guess it is mounted on the extension module. Replacing the extension module is what fixed the issue for me.

Somewhere on this forum a user detailed how to disassemble the unit and tighten the screws that hold the BlueTooth module to the circuit board. It could be all these boards are suffering from the same manufacturing defect of not mounting the BlueTooth correctly and causing it to short out the system.

When I was having the issue, it happened all the time, but way more frequently when using a BlueTooth connection.

Edit: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/286023-bluetooth-dropout-antenna-fix.html

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  7. Aug 26, 2013 at 2:24 PM
    casahac

casahac Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Tollhouse, CA
    Vehicle:
    Unless a lot of dealers are all blatant liars, Toyota is well aware of the problem. My dealer specifically told me that they scheduled my vehicle into the shop based on the availability of a Toyota factory tech to look at the problem.

The first thing they told me was that the software/firmware needed to be updated and all would be fine. Yeah, right, it worked for 60 miles. If it occurs again, I'll insist that they change the extension module, as that appears to be the bad actor here.

8. Aug 26, 2013 at 3:31 PM
    Rojgonz

Rojgonz Well-Known Member

Member:
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    '13 Nautical Blue 6 speed Manual TRD Off Road
    Interesting! I have a non-jbl system and everything works fine on my unit except the USB port/drive. Mine reboots or freezes every now and again ONLY when playing music from a usb flash drive; any usb flash drive. No issues with the same USB drives on any other system. My Tacoma system randomly locks up completely when selecting various songs. :frusty:

9. Aug 27, 2013 at 5:16 AM
    wolfgang

wolfgang Active Member

Member:
    south USA
    Vehicle:
    12 4 door prerunner
    Air Intake system
    I just had the head unit replaced about a month ago, on the extended warrenty, not on Toyota's nickel. Crapped out yesterday after I used Bluetooth to use the phone. worked on AM/FM otherwise it said "Loading" when it did appear to pull in a Sat station, no sound! It was out for about 3 hrs. before it started to work again. I have gone to arrbatration over this issue before, with no results. Toyota just does not care!!!!!!!, but they got my $1950.00 for this piece of junk. I have an appointment in 2 weeks, when they will most likely replace the head unit again, at least that's what the dealership tells me. Really at this time I wish they would just take it out and replace it with a standard base unit. Toyota you have failed on this one, as well as everything else this size gets better MPG, you have a rude awakening coming for sure.

10. Nov 7, 2013 at 6:47 AM
    VoyageTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Denver, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Sadly, I must report that the new radio Toyota installed for me suffers from the same defect. I remember telling them that it's probably some line of code or something in the firmware causing it to reboot unexpectedly.

I am a tad worried because in a year or two my car will be out of warranty with a problematic radio that they never really resolved in the first place.

me gonna whineeeee

11. Nov 9, 2013 at 10:53 AM
    casahac

casahac Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Tollhouse, CA
    Vehicle:
    I had similar issues with my 2013 double cab with JBL. The system would turn off or freeze up at irregular intervals. I complained to the dealer at length. Finally they kept it for a couple of days and humored me by changing the USB wiring harness. That cut down on the frequency of occurrences but did not eliminate them. Finally I got a 32 Gig memory stick, put my favorite music on that and replaced my iPod with the memory stick. That was a couple of thousand miles ago and the problem has not reoccurred.

I think it's weird that Toyota has an interface problem with iPods that they seem unwilling to acknowledge, but I'm very happy to be able to leave a $20 memory stick in the truck as opposed to a $250 iPod.

12. Nov 9, 2013 at 12:08 PM
    shawn

shawn Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    13 Prerunner TRD
    Borla Cat Back, BedRug, Bakflip F1, BFG KO's, hardwire Radar
    I have the same setup, but I have not experienced this phenom yet.. I only have 1000 miles... so..not much time in the truck

13. Nov 9, 2013 at 12:09 PM
    shawn

shawn Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    13 Prerunner TRD
    Borla Cat Back, BedRug, Bakflip F1, BFG KO's, hardwire Radar
    hmm this is a good idea.. does it read all the track info, and you have access to the tracks just like an iPod?

14. Nov 12, 2013 at 4:10 PM
    Driver

Driver New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    13 Double Cab
    Cigarette lighter rechargeable flashlight. = )
    Hi y'all...I lurked a bit and joined up today.

Thanks for this thread. I was pretty sure i was not alone with this issue. My JBL nav/entune unit also randomly drops music via bluetooth and reboots from the Toyota screen.

I have about 14K miles on my truck now and complained about the radio dropping music and restarting when using the bluetooth. The first time the service guy suggested right away that it was my Iphone and to update it. I did that as it seemed somewhat plausible, to no effect. I also had the nav ( such as it is ) system lock up as well recently - it wouldn't allow me to put an address in. I recorded this event on video.

I took it to the dealer today for scheduled service and they seemed wayyy more receptive to the fact it may be the unit itself. I was told that they updated the units software and to give that a try ( they did note it in the work order which is a good sign ). I played tunes via bluetooth for maybe a half hour and the same old problem occurred. The service writer did say that if the update didn't fix the issue they would "look at" replacing the unit. We'll see.

15. Nov 13, 2013 at 3:45 AM
    wolfgang

wolfgang Active Member

Member:
    south USA
    Vehicle:
    12 4 door prerunner
    Air Intake system
    Update: The entune head unit was changed by Toyota, but only after the factory warranty ran out and I went on my aftermarket warranty. Guess what? "No Change" same problems as before. The Nav. system is still junk, and it still switches over to other modes and turns off and on by itself. A lot of money for such a BAD!!!!! Product. This is my 4th Tacoma, but I'am done. You can buy a full size truck that gets better mileage now anyhow. Wake up Toyota the world is passing you by.

16. Dec 2, 2013 at 12:26 PM
    VoyageTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Denver, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    I got another runaround today.

So let me say as I stated before, that I already had these guys replace the head unit which they did, after a great deal of tiring convincing on my part.

The problem did not go away.

I went in for service today with this issue on my list of to dos and was hoping that they would be ordering an extension unit. Instead, they gave me the exact same nonsense as before, a) that they need to duplicate the problem again and b) that it has to be done on another day.

It's annoying because the very fact that they have replaced the head unit before establishes that there was a problem that they acknowledged. Instead, they want me to go spend God knows how long sitting there with them to duplicate the problem. I'd estimate that it happens once or twice a week in my car, so I'm thinking we could be there for an hour or two in order to get the problem to reoccur.

I think it's really crappy customer service and an insane way to proceed. The reason being that they know I've had this problem for a while and that's why they initially tried to replace the head unit.

I was hoping that they'd order the part today so I can schedule getting it replaced, but instead it's a runaround.

Call my cynical, but I think they do the runaround in hopes of making me give up.

I scheduled today's appointment over a week ago. So now, I have to schedule another appointment and then just hope that by chance the problem will happen with them?

The customer service is substandard. They should take my word for it. If I were trying to get a better unit out of it, I could understand, but I mainly want the same thing that I already have just to work, so they should actually stop giving me the runaround and fix the problem.

I find it so annoying that they just don't get behind fixing it. There's always the runaround.

Anyways, they'll see that I'm not going to just give up. They gotta make this right. Why pay for the top of the line radio that has a defect? Why allow them to just shrug their shoulders and act like if they don't see it then the problem is not there?

I encourage everyone with this issue to push hard. They are pulling retail shenanigans.

Fix the problem! Or am I crazy? If I'm not crazy, this kind of behavior certainly moves me to that end.

Anyhow...I will keep you guys posted as to my progress.

17. Dec 3, 2013 at 5:28 AM
    Nicely1

Nicely1 Member

Member:
    Mine reboots about two to three times, during my twenty minute commute. Occasionally it will only do it once. I have narrowed it down to the Bluetooth functionality. I will be taking mine in for its first service and see what they say. I can easily duplicate it in fifteen minutes. Just start Bluetooth streaming audio and let it reboot from there;)

18. Dec 4, 2013 at 7:33 AM
    VoyageTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Denver, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Howdy.

Just a quick follow up.

I decided to call the Toyota Service department today to talk to the service agent who helped me with my truck's service on Monday.

I told him that in virtue of having already replaced the head unit, I would like them to go ahead and replace the "extension module" that I read about here, that poster having said that it seemingly resolved his issues with the reboot.

I further added that having already replaced the "head unit" of my radio, they have acknowledged the existence of a problem, one which is still very much there.

So he's going through his various channels to see if he can get the extension module replaced, something that I was quite surprised to hear costs as a single part as much as 2-3 thousand dollars. Does that sound overblown to anybody?

Anyway, if that's true, I can see why they want to be sure that the problem does indeed reside with the extension module.

Even still, I "know" the problem still exists, and I concur that it is indeed likely something having to do with bluetooth functionality. It most often will happen while I'm on bluetooth listening to music, but not only that, when I get a phone call and end it, it is usually shortly thereafter that the whole stereo unit reboots.

I also recall reading that the actual connections with the wires may come loose easily, but I have trouble thinking that is it, because a loose wire would seem to predispose the unit to disfunction at random times, but this is definitely at certain moments with the use of bluetooth.

If the extension module does not clear up the problem, I can't help but wonder as I did early on if this problem exists somewhere because of a line of faulty computer programming code, which I'm even more skeptical about getting a real fix for.

The extension module costing 2-3 grand is not what I was expecting. If it's true, that sounds insane to me. I can't help but worry a little bit that this issue will persist as long as I own the car.

It's a drag because they went out of their way to sell me on this particular radio saying it was the "best" that they offer and that it's the "top of the line."

Anyhow, I'll keep you guys posted as to my progress. I'm pleased they're going to at least discuss the issue and see what the next step is.

19. Dec 4, 2013 at 7:44 AM
    eazyrider711

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Northern, CO
    Vehicle:
    Black DCSB T|X Baja
    Sounds like you're on the right path to get it fixed.

Is this the same reboot problem you're seeing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GE0f-qVWkwI

This was video I took of mine when it was happening.

20. Dec 4, 2013 at 5:19 PM
    TRD Toy85

TRD Toy85 Well-Known Member

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    loaded 2013 TRD sport
    ya entune JBl headunit sucks, I often spend more time then I want to trying to get my ipod/phone to connect .
    But spending the extra $ on the stereo I just cant justify switching, we all just have to complain and hope they update the firmware eventually.

Products Discussed in

To Top