1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2014 shudder issues

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by C1ph3r, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Oct 23, 2013 at 11:31 AM
    morrisminor

morrisminor Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Mountain View, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma Pre-Runner
    Camer shell, front bumper guard
    guitarplayer360 what dealer did you take your truck too?
    I have been going to Piercy Toyota in San Jose. They have an excellent Shop Foreman, Ron, and a great Service Advisor, Kelly. I'm not too impressed with the Technicians, though.
    I've had my truck returned with grease marks on it and twice it has had vibrations when I got it back that it didn't have going in. Also the steering wheel was crooked when I got it back once.
    My truck shutters on take-off, pings at 35mph on hot days, the heater stays hot in "no-heat" setting, shifts back and forth at 35mph in traffic, the front and rear brakes have both been done two times and it is vibrating again now when braking, and I can't read the radio in the sunlight.
    This is my 4th Toyota truck since 1982. None of the others had ANY problems.
    Mike

2. Oct 23, 2013 at 1:08 PM
    guitarplayer360

guitarplayer360 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    2013 Toyota Tacoma, TRD Off-Road, 4x4
    4" RCD Lift, BFG A/T 285/70r17s, 17X9 KMC HD Addicts
    I took it to Dublin Toyota (even though I purchased from Maita).

3. Oct 24, 2013 at 3:39 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Waiting for some presidential type person to defend all this as being "normal" and "acceptable"...........NEWSFLASH - IT ISN'T & IT NEVER WILL BE!

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  4. Oct 27, 2013 at 3:04 AM
    boggle

boggle Active Member

Member:
    VT
    Vehicle:
    TRD
    Seem to be having this same issue on my 2013 trd with less than a 1000 miles, Would really like to get it resolved prior to lifting so that won't be used as the reason for the vibration?

5. Oct 27, 2013 at 1:27 PM
    69 Jim

69 Jim 4-word Jimmy

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2013 Standard Cab 4x4
    Great Website!

I went through the "shudder" issues for the first five months of this year with my 2013 SR5 V-6 Automatic 4x4. I noticed the issue when I test drove a '13 TRD. I purchased a SR-5 and it functioned well, for 50 miles. The shudder appeared and I took it right to the dealer. While it was in their hands, I researched online and saw the writing on the wall. The steps the dealer were taking were the same as many other folks stated. I did talk to a lawyer in the beginning and he said getting them to admit there was a problem would be my next issue. I went to pick up the vehicle with that in mind, along with many printed pages of complaints and also a copy of the TSB. I told the service writer that I understand there was a problem with the design and I would come back to see if there was a fix yet, knowing I was actually just dancing the dance. The writer stated this on the s/o to get me out of there but actually he gave me the info I needed in writing admitting there was an issue.
    I contacted the General Manager @ the dealership the next day and he said he would talk to the factory and return my call in a few days, in which he did. He said the factory "does not participate in any type of repurchase program whatsoever". Not good.
    I contacted the the State Attorney General's office, Lemon Law Division. Those folks were great, and seemed like they really didn't like car dealers, good for me, bad for the dealer. They instructed me to return to the dealership and get a s/o that stated that they had no fix yet. I needed a total of 4 tries to get it repaired before the lemon law could come into play. They sent me all the paperwork and forms I needed to proceed with a claim. It was a simple process for the consumer here in Washington state. The factory rep from Portland Oregon responded and I couldn't believe how generic his statements were concerning the issue which he claims this was the first time he heard of somebody complaining about a condition that the "Techs" said was a normal vibration.
    A hearing date was set, but a few days before it was here, the same rep in Portland called me at home. He said he would be sending me a "full repurchase package for the truck", so asked me to cancel the Lemon Law proceedings. I told him I would once I saw the offer in writing. I contacted the AG's office and was told have him overnight the offer to me, otherwise the hearing would go forward.
    After contacting the A/G's office, they had told me the factory would rather buy the vehicle back directly and privately than lose a lemon law case and opening the doors for the rest of the lemons out there.
    It worked out for me by being patient and playing their game. I did some research and found the issue really doesn't exist on the standard wheelbase trucks, so I went ahead and purchased one and like it very well. I hope this will help some of you who are in the same predicament I was in. The only thing I was out was time, and the law states that I will be prorated for the amount of miles that I had on the vehicle @ the point of my first trip to the dealer for the issue, which worked out to a couple of dollars.

6. Oct 28, 2013 at 10:11 AM
    morrisminor

morrisminor Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Mountain View, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma Pre-Runner
    69 Jim, thanks for all that information. Lemon Laws are different in each state.
    I talked to Toyota Customer Relations and the Rep basically said that's the way the truck is, take it or leave it, and go ahead and TRY to sue us for Lemon Law. He sent me the paperwork to try to claim Lemon Law.
    In researching the issues my truck has I felt I could probably solve most of its problems myself and I wanted to give it a try.
    Before I got a chance to work on the truck or send the Lemon Law paperwork back, they sent me a note that they were ready to buy back my truck. That was a surprise !!
    I offered to take a replacement truck instead of buy back and it is being bult now. It should be ready in December. I'll have to pay a usage charge of $1000-$1200 to trade my 2012 tacoma for a 2014.
    I'm very disappointed that Toyota put out so little effort to correct my truck's problems but if the new 2014 is OK, I'll be happy.
    My question will be, what do I do if the 2014 has the same problems? Then I'll insist on cash buy back I guess. That will be too bad. Nothing else fits my needs like the Tacoma TRD.
    Mike (in California)

7. Oct 28, 2013 at 10:34 AM
    C1ph3r

C1ph3r [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    A.W.
    Concord NC
    Vehicle:
    Nothing special
    2014 DCSB 4x4 TRD OffRoad Super White TRD sport grill, Custom mesh grill, Tailgate theft mod, bed mat, tint, chopped antenna, 16x8 Konig Counter, Weathertech mats and window shades, Relentless Fabrication bolt on sliders
    So just an update on my situation. My dealer is replacing the truck. They stated that they were able to duplicate it on the phone but my paper work is odd. They state "test drove vehicle and verified customers concern. Removed and replaced driveshaft. No problems found. Found vibration in lower gear under hard acceleration. Test drove 2 other like model vehicles. Both have identical vibrations. Checked per customers request." Now that all sounds good. Until this last sentence. "Could not duplicate abnormal condition. No repair performed". what the hell does that mean? They stated they verified the vibration but couldn't duplicate the abnormal condition

Either way the dealer is doing right and replacing the truck. I imagine it is going to be the same issue. But who knows. Maybe I will get one that is blessed with fairy dust and won't have the problem.

I also have a case opened with Toyota corp. the email I got back from the, states it is a normal condition of the truck. Caugh! caugh! bull shit!

There is a great thread on here about fixing drive shaft angles which sounds great. Too bad it would probably have an impact on my warranty if I fix it myself.

8. Oct 28, 2013 at 11:02 AM
    2006TRDSPORT

2006TRDSPORT 2006TRDSPORT

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Felton, Delaware
    Vehicle:
    2004 4Runner SR5 4WD
    I feel fortunate that so far I have not fallen victim to this terrible shudder/vibration issue. I did notice a slight vibration around 20mph accelerating & decelarating when I first lifted my truck, but either I got so used to it I don't notice it anymore or it went away. This & many other reasons make me never want to trade my truck in, because it's been a great one & I don't want a lemon. Congrats on the dealer replacing your truck for you & best of luck in the future not having the same issue. Knock on wood, mine has been great to me since I bought it with nothing besides regular maintenance.

9. Oct 28, 2013 at 11:06 AM
    C1ph3r

Member:
    First Name:
    A.W.
    Concord NC
    Vehicle:
    Nothing special
    2014 DCSB 4x4 TRD OffRoad Super White TRD sport grill, Custom mesh grill, Tailgate theft mod, bed mat, tint, chopped antenna, 16x8 Konig Counter, Weathertech mats and window shades, Relentless Fabrication bolt on sliders
    Well this is at least promising that they don't all do it. Then again, if they all did it I am sure Toyota would be Johnny on the spot in addressing it. What configuration is your? Standard cab, dbl cab, access cab

10. Oct 28, 2013 at 2:47 PM
    Twalt87

Twalt87 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Vancouver island Bc
    I can say that for my 2012 which had a vibration from about 50-70km/hr. I put 2 thick washers between the rear shaft center support bearing(steady bearing) and the mount.
    It was only about 1/4" think washer for mine.
    Problem fixed

My friends 13 did the same thing but still shook after 1/4" washer, and even after 2 it still shook. We ended up having to add 3 of them to make it go away. So I think the amount is different for everyone.

But in the end it took 5 minutes and cost me about 30 cents

SpaycePeanut likes this.
  11. Oct 28, 2013 at 11:11 PM
    69 Jim

69 Jim 4-word Jimmy

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2013 Standard Cab 4x4
    On the final trip to the service tech, the district supervisor came to the local dealer and tried shimming the cb from 1 shim to 5/8" worth with no improvement in overcoming the axle wrap...

12. Oct 31, 2013 at 5:20 AM
    2006TRDSPORT

2006TRDSPORT 2006TRDSPORT

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Felton, Delaware
    Vehicle:
    2004 4Runner SR5 4WD
    I have the DB cab, short bed.

13. Oct 31, 2013 at 6:38 PM
    69 Jim

69 Jim 4-word Jimmy

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2013 Standard Cab 4x4
    4WD regular cabs are supposedly only 3% of the total 4WD made. The longer wheelbase models seem to have the issue when equipped with a V6 automatic and split drive shaft.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  14. Nov 2, 2013 at 8:19 AM
    C1ph3r

Member:
    First Name:
    A.W.
    Concord NC
    Vehicle:
    Nothing special
    Well I am at the dealer drivn th 2014 replacement the dealer is giving me. Straight from the plant and has the same issue. Guess I could still take it but the issue is still there. Guess I can live with it and the fact the dealers won't fix it. Guess I could take it and fix it myself or live with it

15. Nov 2, 2013 at 9:54 PM
    69 Jim

69 Jim 4-word Jimmy

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2013 Standard Cab 4x4
    Best of luck to you...

16. Nov 6, 2013 at 10:38 AM
    Graham

Graham Pay it Forward

Member:
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    2005 4x4 TRD Black V6 6 speed manual
    I crawled under my truck to look around for anything amiss and immediately saw the my carrier bearing was trashed. The rubber housing was shredded. I purchased a new carrier bearing and 3 U-Joints for a total cost of approx $100. I had a buddy who is a mechanic and does moonlighting jobs on the side install them and problem solved. I now have zero drive shaft shudder/vibration. He charged me $100 to install, so for $200 the problem is gone. He said that a 2" lift should not be causing any issues and the problem was most likely mechanical in nature. The carrier bearing was bad and 2 of the U - Joints had cracks. Start with mechanical issues in the driveshaft first to locate the root cause of the problem before adding shims to the carrier bearing or the leaf springs. I did not have to shim anything and I am running nice and smooth now. I am a happy Taco owner again!

17. Dec 12, 2014 at 7:30 AM
    katcam01432

katcam01432 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 4x4
    I have the same issue. Seems to shift weird also

18. Dec 13, 2014 at 9:36 AM
    morrisminor

morrisminor Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Mountain View, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma Pre-Runner
    katcam01432,
    I have had a similar problem with both my 2012 and 2014 V6 TRD 2wheel drive Tacomas. Both did it about 5' to 8' after starting off from a stop. Toyota knows about it and said they are working on a cure, but not very hard.
    Trans shifting on my 2014 is MUCH better then my 2012 was.
    Get the truck to your dealer as soon as possible and get both problems in writing. Take it up with the shop foreman if nec.
    How does your heater work? I cannot get just fresh outside air through mine without it being heated 15-20 degrees. Like air blend doors not closing properly. Both my 2012 and 2014 same.

19. Dec 14, 2014 at 9:19 AM
    69 Jim

69 Jim 4-word Jimmy

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2013 Standard Cab 4x4
    On the test drive? Why would you purchase it anyway?

20. Dec 18, 2014 at 5:54 PM
    TacFan2013

TacFan2013 Member

Member:
    Pac. N.W.
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD 6 cyl, Auto, 4 WD
    I have a 2013 TRD...same issues. I have mentioned it at every "Toyota Care" appt. and all I hear is "our technician drove it and didn't feel anything", or "everything is normal". I have 25k on it, one more year under warranty...so I'm going to get to the bottom of it. Good luck!

Products Discussed in

To Top