1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2014 Tacoma engine rattling sound

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by MHARMS, Sep 30, 2018.

1. Sep 30, 2018 at 11:53 AM
    MHARMS

MHARMS [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Black Tacoma TRD sport DCLB
    GoRhino Dominator D2 nerf bars, K&N air filter, LED cabin lights, Neoprene seats, Billstein 5100 front shocks 2.5" lift, ultra crusher 17” wheels w/ko2s, DIY tinted tail lights, LED reverse lights, CONDENSATE DRAIN HOSE EXTENTION!
    My tacoma has been having a rather loud rattling noise from the engine/firewall area. No vibration involved, just sheer noise. Occurs only around 1200-1500 RPM while applying gas. Doesn't matter what gear I'm in. Video with rattling noise attached. Any thoughts would help!

2. Sep 30, 2018 at 11:56 AM
    Juforrest

Juforrest Dumb!

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    Reformed Taco driver in a GX460
    Sounds like ping/valve clatter. There is a TSB which may or may not solve it.

3. Jun 22, 2019 at 9:51 AM
    ecks06

ecks06 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ethan
    Vehicle:
    2014 Gray Tacoma PreRunner SR5
    I was having a similar issue. Under light acceleration, I would hear a rattling noise coming from the engine bay. I took it to my local Toyota dealer twice before they figured it out. My issue happened to be a spark knock noise and it is apparently a TSB so they fixed it at no charge. All they had to do was recalibrate the ECM. I’ve attached a picture of the RO. This might not be the same thing as yours but I wanted to post it in case someone else has this issue.

088EB461-2F81-412D-A57F-8C038CF92261.jpg

4. Jun 23, 2019 at 1:08 AM
    Scout17Rider

Scout17Rider New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 Toyota Tacoma
    I had a rattling noise(annoying) for several months. This noise was coming from the drivers' side I tried different fuels from regular to supreme also from different sellers(Shell,Chevron..etc..) nope this was not the solution to my rattling noise. I ask my mechanic about this damn noise and he asked me if I have changed the sparkplugs. So I went ahead and bought new OEM sparkplugs (Denso SK20HR11) as I was replacing the sparkplugs I noticed that the one closest to the drivers' side was NOT as tight as the rest. Oh by the way I had no codes at all, just the rattling noise at different RPMs specially if I was using the AC; if I was driving on a road that had vehicle barriers on both sides, I could really hear the noise a lot more. So now that the sparkplugs are brand new and properly tighten, I hope this works. I drove it for a short time and I THINK this was the solution(ONE OF THE SPARKPLUGS WAS NOT TIGHTENT PROPERLY) but I'm not 100% sure that this was the problem. I will post in a few days if replacing the sparkplugs and making SURE they were properly torqued, solve the rattling noise. My Taco has 136325 miles by the way.

Products Discussed in

To Top