1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2015 Reverse Camera Alignment

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by KeokiLK, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Aug 13, 2015 at 7:33 PM
    KeokiLK

KeokiLK [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keoki
    Honolulu
    Vehicle:
    15 PreRunner TRD Sport
    Anyone know how I can double check the camera alignment on my '15 Tacoma? I swear for the first couple months I couldn't see that much white on the bottom. Seems like the camera has shifted down but now I'm second guessing myself. Maybe it actually has been at this angle the entire time.

ec260b93fba6c0fdbab54f4c252f038d_f9a7e37ca795dd71a8403408b3c3a0a1eb2e2eda.jpg

2. Aug 13, 2015 at 7:39 PM
    Kyitty

Kyitty Mr. Beard

Member:
    Bozeman, MT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma DCLB Better Than TRD
    See Build Page
    Hmm. Haven't really paid attention to that portion of the screen. Though I don't recall seeing that much tailgate on my 2015 either.

My lines will perfectly center me in a parking spot though! And that red line is about 12" or so from the bumper. I can back my bumper within an inch or two of my garage wall pretty reliably.

I can also use the fish-eye lense on the camera to back OUT of my garage and see if anyone is coming from either direction which is very useful!

KeokiLK[OP] likes this.
  3. Aug 13, 2015 at 9:36 PM
    maybedave

maybedave Flying Spaghetti Monster... I believe.

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    La Habra, CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma PreRunner TRD Sport
    Powered Pop & Lock
    It definitely isn't supposed to be that low. Mine looks like that now, too, after I swapped the OEM tailgate handle with the Pop & Lock. Haven't done it yet, but I've been thinking about adding a thin rubber washer to the top screw of the camera to get it to angle a bit higher. I'm sure it's possible with some patience and fiddling around. The manual gives you information on how much distance those lines mean. You could place and object or draw a chalkline on the ground, then adjust the camera as needed.

On the other hand... still works just fine. :notsure:

KeokiLK[OP] likes this.
  4. Aug 14, 2015 at 1:03 AM
    Purpleman

Purpleman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Anaheim
    Vehicle:
    15 PreRunner
    One word, Warranty!

KeokiLK[OP] likes this.
  5. Aug 14, 2015 at 4:09 AM
    Dwrat

Dwrat Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD 4X4
    Exact same thing happened to me also.
    I swear it was not that low but I don't really know.
    I tried to adjust it but there was no adjustment that I could find anywhere.

KeokiLK[OP] likes this.
  6. Aug 14, 2015 at 4:21 AM
    cabo wabo

cabo wabo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    billy
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    2019 dbc short bed trd sport
    I swapped out mine with the pop & lock codeable and i can't tell any difference.

KeokiLK[OP] likes this.
  7. Aug 14, 2015 at 4:25 AM
    Yamaha_TacoR1

Yamaha_TacoR1 Very slow racer

Member:
    NJ/NY, USA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Black TRD Sport 4x4 Limo
    - 5100/885's, 5100/Icon 3leaf progressive AAL with overload left in, 1/4" Taco lean spacer - ARE Z Series camper shell with Yakima rack system - Tepui Ayer Rooftop Tent - Prinsu Design Cabrac with heavy duty anadized bars - WeatherTech window deflectors/floor liners/bug deflector - Ultragauge MX1.3 - PopnLock codable locking tailgate handle - TRD shift knob - 3M tint - Extang solid fold2.0 tonneu cover - OEM Tacoma muffler tip - OEM Tacoma side steps - OEM Tacoma bed mat - OEM Tacoma roof rack - OEM TRD PRO front grille in matte black - OEM TRD PRO headlights - Fastway FLASH "Solid-Tow" adjustable aluminum ball mount hitch - Reese dual hitch ball covers - Masterlock locking J pin - GoPro windshield mount - Door trim protectors - Side mirror 'fish eyes' - Thule T2 hitch mount 2 bike carrier - LEDs: Map/Dome, 3rd brake, license plate, parking lights, reverse CREE's - SEMA TRD PRO 17" black matte wheels - 265/70/17 BFG A/T KO2s - Black Widow 40" x 95" 3 piece powder-coated folding bed ramp - Mobtown Offroad ribbed tailgate reinforcement skin - GRIDiT center console organizer - Salex center console organizer - Marco Extreme Blast black premium train air horn - 'ImmrYo' Rearview mirror relocate bracket - Mattgecko's Sliding window security bar - Rigid tow rear hitch shackle - Plasti-dipped gunmetal emblems - Blacked out ACEkraut's front license plate relocate bracket - De-flapped (OEM mud flaps gone) - Uniden XL520 CB Radio - Shmellmopwho's CB antenna bed mount - 3ft Firestik II CB antenna - BirdDawg Industries Tech Deck Extreme version w/ 3 Ram 1" ball mounts - Ram Mounts: iPhone6/iPad Mini4 X Grips with 1" dual ball sockets - Garmin GLO portable GPS & GLONASS receiver - Depo LED tail lights with blacked-out inner housing - Various Velcro backed patches on the headliner - 3D-Cell LED Maglite mounted to the driver seat - 4XInnovation DOM weld on sliders with kickouts (welded at 20degree angle) - 4XInnovation Hi Lift bed mounting system - Hi Lift All cast 60" jack with optional handle holder - Lotus Development Hi Lift slider adapter - Relentless Fabrifacfions dual bed rail mounts with dual Quick Fists - Salex glovebox organizer system - YETI vintage bottle opener mounted to the bed - TRD Sport style aftermarket epoxy resin decals for WT front mats - Rigid Industries LED D2 spot lights (Midnight edition) - CBI spot light hood mounts - Air on Board "Zombie Lights" switch - Rebadged WeatherTech floor liners with custom TRD Sport emblems - GoPro Hero 3+ windshield mounted - Mattgecko's cool white LED bedlight kit v2 - 1.25" Spidertrax wheel spacers - Maxsa Escaper Buddy traction boards (mounted on top of Prinsu Cabrac) - 42" Plano Weatherproof gun case (mounted on top of Prinsu Cabrac) - 2gal Rotopax gasoline can, mounting plate, DLX pack mount (mounted on top of Prinsu Cabrac) - Bestek 150W power inverter DC 12V to 110 V - DBPower 600A car jump starter/booster - SOS Off-road Concepts Factory recovery replacement mount - ARB 30' Recovery strap - ARB EZDeflator - Smittybilt receiver hitch D ring with 3/3" shackle - Bosch Icon wiper blades - RCI IFS steel skid plate - Trasharoo trash bag - mounted on tailgate - Lamin X yellow fog lamp covers - Aftermarket illuminated air conditioning/heater/vent knobs - Toyota full frame replacement - Spring 2023 ================================ Future mods: - Rear diff breather relocate - Foglights anytime - Install external speaker for CB - Install mattgecko bedlight kit
    Looks fine to me

CG87_ and KeokiLK[OP] like this.
  8. Aug 14, 2015 at 4:45 AM
    Conumdrum

Conumdrum Well-Known Member

Member:
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma
    2WD Sport Nav SC V-6 Mall crawler Home Depot truck
    Get a brick place on the ground. A plastic table 2' past it. Two stealable traffic cones on the side of the table R/L. Put them on the street in front of your house. Learn where you need to stop.

It's an analog world with digital stupidity like lines on the screen.

I have no idea what my screen looks like except I do look at the screen when I first back up so I don't kill a baby and then look out the back window and the screen a bit in parking lots. Glad you didn't start driving in the 1970's, you woulda been screwed.

You could look at 10 Yotas on the dealer lot and see if you have an issue. To see if LOL it's a warranty issue.

Gonna take the time to go to the dealer for this and Lawyer up? Or deal with it.

Checked mine just now, in my underwear. Mine is the same. 2014.

Jimmyh, agunday21 and yesmar like this.
  9. Aug 14, 2015 at 4:46 AM
    Conumdrum

Conumdrum Well-Known Member

Member:
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma
    2WD Sport Nav SC V-6 Mall crawler Home Depot truck

Take a grinder to it, velcro, make a new mod.

10. Aug 14, 2015 at 7:06 AM
    Turdsport

Turdsport Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Vehicle:
    '14 TRD Sport Supercharged
    Mine looks the same way. I have to admit, when I saw yours I thought it might be pointing too far down because of how much tailgate was in the picture. Got in this morning and mine looks exactly like that.

KeokiLK[OP] likes this.
  11. Aug 14, 2015 at 7:42 AM
    dofartshavelumps

dofartshavelumps Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2015 SR DCSB 4x4 4.0 MT
    I installed mine last week and was wondering the same thing. I looked at the owner manual and it says the red line is 18" back and blue line is 36" back from the bumper. I put some chalk mark on the driveway and they were pretty much spot on, I didn't use a plumb bob or anything to get the exact edge of the tailgate to the ground but it seemed good. The center line also looked good. My wife has the highlander and the screen and camera are so much better on that.

KeokiLK[OP] likes this.
  12. Sep 19, 2015 at 11:32 AM
    Greenbean

Greenbean B.S. Goodwrench

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 AC 2.7L 5-spd 4x4 Utility Package
    Looks the same as my 2015,

:bikewheelie2:

13. Sep 19, 2015 at 11:44 AM
    Dogdad

Dogdad Well-Known Member

Member:
    Metairie,Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2015 Pyrite Mica Double Cab
    Chill,,,relax,,,same as mine too...

14. Sep 19, 2015 at 2:11 PM
    jbrnigan

jbrnigan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport, 4X4, 4.0L, Auto - Access Cab
    +1

15. Sep 19, 2015 at 2:49 PM
    b.miller123

b.miller123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Super White Limited Double Cab Long Bed 4x4
    How do you know that he didn't?

Backup cameras are a great piece of tech. Wanting it to point where it should doesn't make someone a less capable driver. I'm pretty damn good at backing up but I still find myself using the camera to back into tight spots at work every morning quickly without worrying about the distance behind the truck. I know exactly how far I am away, and I dont have to park by touch like so many ... **cough, cough** ... "old people" ... seem to do these days.

It is also great for backing up to the trailer.

If you want to see crazy, go drive a jeep grand cherokee. The lines on the reverse screen turn into curves and move as you turn the wheel. Tells you exactly where you are going to wind uo.

16. Sep 19, 2015 at 2:50 PM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    Conundrum is special. Give his posts a wide berth.

17. Sep 19, 2015 at 2:52 PM
    shakerhood

shakerhood Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DCSB Off Road, 6 Speed MT, P&T
    The camera on mine has done the same thing and is pointed more downward.

18. Sep 19, 2015 at 3:29 PM
    VermontTaco

VermontTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRD Sport Silver
    Weather Techs Mats front and rear, Wet Okole seat covers, BakFlip Fibermax tonneau cover, Power Pop N' Lock, Flyzeye interior lights, Scangauge 2, IMMRYO Rearview mirror bracket, upgraded Homelink, temperature gauge, and compass rear view mirror, Matt Geko bed lights, OEM bed mat, Beerad's Antidark engine lights, interior LED lights, TRD SEMA 17" Wheels in gunmetal gray, LT265/70/17 BFG KO2 Load Range C, and center console/glove compartment organizers.
    My 2015 looks the same as OP.

19. Sep 19, 2015 at 3:33 PM
    KingTaco81

KingTaco81 The guy, behind the guy, behind the guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Jr
    Bell & El Monte, CA
    Vehicle:
    DCSB OR
    Bunch of stuff
    same here... I noticed more tailgate as well bout a week ago.

ensaladas likes this.
  20. Sep 19, 2015 at 3:40 PM
    NMTrailRider

NMTrailRider Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    Me too.

Products Discussed in

To Top