1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2015 V6 Spark Knock/Pinging

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by CharlesCity, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Aug 25, 2016 at 5:19 PM
    CharlesCity

CharlesCity [OP] Self Preservation? What's that mean?

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC Off Road
    I have a 2015 Tacoma OR with the V6 and 31k miles on it. The Pinging is getting louder and louder. I called the dealer that I bought it from this morning and the service manager said, "you know those are 30k mile plugs, that may be your problem." Pissed me off, I'm not sure why.

It's my understanding, and maybe some of you can clarify, that there is a difference between Octane Knock (low quality gas, high compression engine causing pre-ignition combustion) and Spark Knock (too much advance in the ignition timing but still firing from the plug). The latter of which I believe is my problem based on what I have read and the fact that it still pings on 93 octane.

The second dealer I went to today as a reference to "my" dealer said, "all them noises have been deemed to be normal, I'd put some seafoam in it (fuel treatment). I showed him the TSB for the 2012-2014 models and he said that the 2015 uses new software and that he didnt see anything for the 2015 TSB related.......Also pissed me off.

I have new Denso plugs that I got from the dealer to put in so the d bags can't blame it on the plugs when I take it in on Monday so they can "take a look at it." I'm not expecting anything miraculous from them.

Does anyone else with a 2015 have or have fixed this issue? Am I thinking of the type of knock the right way?

2. Aug 26, 2016 at 6:13 PM
    asuchemist

asuchemist My Hamstrings Hurt!

Member:
    South South Dirty Gilbert
    Vehicle:
    11' TRD Sport V6, 23' TRD Pro 4Runner, 23' Tacoma TRD Pro
    NONE
    sorry no 2015 here. 2011 with spark knock and I already changed the plugs. i believe he is right as update was for ecs software in those particular models.

Noise not normal but very common with Tacomas

3. Aug 26, 2016 at 6:38 PM
    CharlesCity

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC Off Road
    Thanks for the reply. I do not hear a lot of engine failure stories (any actually) from this. I guess It'll be fine? I don't plan on taking it easy on the truck because it sounds crappy. Let'r blow if she's gonna blow.

4. Aug 29, 2016 at 1:21 PM
    f02h01

f02h01 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 DBL Cab v6 TRD 4x4
    Charles, I'm experiencing the same type of thing with my 2015 Tacoma. Mine sounds rough when you first crank it up , then it eases up as the truck warms up. Then it runs fine until I'm running about 55-60 and start to climb up a hill. Right before the engine adjusts to the incline I hear something that sounds like valves rattling. Doesn't last long but it's definitely there. If this were an older truck I might not worry but it being so new, not sure what to think. I tried 93 octane, still did the same thing. Kinda frustrated here. Have you found out anything about it ?

5. Aug 29, 2016 at 1:32 PM
    CharlesCity

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC Off Road
    Sitting in the waiting room at the dealer right this second. The experts are looking at it............

I will post what they say.

I haven't heard anything when I start mine up. Sounds like a diesel when it's hot out and you put the engine under load at a lower Rpm 1000-2800 or so. Rattle Rattle ping ping.

Just got back from Corova OBX and ran it all day on the hwy and about 25 miles on the beach. Never even close to getting stuck. That I'm happy with.

asuchemist likes this.
  6. Aug 29, 2016 at 1:34 PM
    f02h01

f02h01 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 DBL Cab v6 TRD 4x4
    Yeah, seem to be great trucks but the rattling valve sound drives me crazy !

7. Aug 29, 2016 at 4:08 PM
    CharlesCity

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC Off Road
    The assistant service manager said, "Mr. Moore, we were unable to duplicate the noise."

He didn't seem to understand why I chuckled. I asked could I go with the tech. We rode, the spark knock happend, and I got it documented! I'm going in Sept 7 and they are giving me a rental. Amazing how when I rode along the noise happend...........

They did step up and document it as a "spark ping".

They said the TSB (software flash) is for the 2012-2104 year models and there was no release for 2015 models. I showed the tech my plugs that I took out yesterday and they were beeeeautiful. The old ones were .045, .002 over spec after 31,000 miles.

Matt

8. Aug 29, 2016 at 5:18 PM
    f02h01

f02h01 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 DBL Cab v6 TRD 4x4
    I'm anxious to see how this turns out. Plz post what you find. Sounds like I need to take my Tacoma to your dealer, this one in Columbus Ga. " Can't duplicate the noise " either.

9. Aug 30, 2016 at 9:30 PM
    BCfishTaco

BCfishTaco Active Member

Member:
    Beautiful BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    2019 DBL TRD Sport Silver
    I have been getting short amounts of pinging under load for a little while now. At first I thought I was hearing things but now I can hear it clearly. It only last for a few seconds and typically before shift to 2nd and 3rd. I'll be inquiring about it on my next servicing and will update.

10. Aug 31, 2016 at 1:49 PM
    f02h01

f02h01 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 DBL Cab v6 TRD 4x4
    Just left the dealership, I got the old " those engines are noisy" speech. They assured me that because I have it documented before the warranty runs out they will cover any problems after the warranty is out. Somehow I'm still worried. I asked why not fix it now, they say they don't see a problem, it's just spark knock. Round and round in circles.

11. Aug 31, 2016 at 5:33 PM
    CharlesCity

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC Off Road
    Ask them to explain to you what a spark knock is, if they even know. If you are familiar with engines and timing curves you may be able to make them understand that they arent bullshitting you because you know the wiser. When I started talking to the tech about timing curves and the ecu not being able to retard the timing enough for a certain gas or load he got real quiet. At one point in the ride he said, "It may just be something rattling in the dash." To which I replied, "absolutely not." You can tell these techs have been coached by managemnet to minimize owner reported problems. Pulling back up to the dealership I said, "you know it's a spark knock and I know it's a spark knock, all we have to do is go tell the Service Manager what we heard." A low "ok" uttered from the poor boy.

"It's just a spark knock" would indeed piss me off. I will not acept that answer for mine and will firmly but politely demand that it is fixed or replaced. I plan on making it my new hobby to irritate these people into following through with their warranty. We'll see how it goes and I will be as nice as they are.

Enough people complained about the shitty software in the 2012-14 model for them to write a TSB and associated firmware flash upgrades. You can read stories about those who have recieved it and the "just a spark knock" has stopped. They know it's fucked up and simply don't care.

I truly am sorry that they are like that with you. It makes one feel sick that there are sorry bastards out there like that.

12. Aug 31, 2016 at 5:36 PM
    CharlesCity

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC Off Road
    Cover any problems after the warranty? Sounds like you got a lifetime warranty from them.

13. Aug 31, 2016 at 5:37 PM
    eon_blue

eon_blue Most Improved Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD 3.4l 4x4 5sp manual Xtraca & '96 4runner 4x4 5spd manual
    I don't see how they could say "it's just spark knock" as though that's a perfectly acceptable condition for an engine, let alone one that's only a year old.

I had crazy spark knock going on with my truck recently until I upgraded my spark plugs from the stock copper ones to Iridium (Denso), but I'm running the TRD supercharger so it was recommended. Spark knock went away for me entirely after that.

Rambo54 likes this.
  14. Aug 31, 2016 at 9:35 PM
    f02h01

f02h01 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 DBL Cab v6 TRD 4x4
    Thx for the replies, I can see you guys are way above my level of understanding this problem with "Spark Knock ". He explained to me that the cylinder was too hot causing "pre-ignition a split second before the spark plug fired and that's the noise I 'm hearing. It's funny you mentioned the ECU Matt, he came out and said that the truck was made to run on a mixture that would get the best MPG and the ECU just couldn't produce with the gas we are using today. Sounds like a clear case of them admitting that Toyota has a problem to me but getting them to put it in writing is entirely a different story.

15. Aug 31, 2016 at 9:59 PM
    f02h01

f02h01 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 DBL Cab v6 TRD 4x4
    And about your comment about getting a lifetime warranty, please ! They don't even want to cover the warranty now, I know good and well their not going to give me any additional coverage. Also, I've learned that anything they say is BS unless it's written down. During the conversation , the tech told me that one of their manager's had decided to trade his 2015 in on a 2017 because he was tired of listening to the" Spark Knock ". Would possibly be an option except for one tiny detail and that's the 40,000.00 price tag they've hung on the 2017. A little pricey for my taste. Again, thx for all of your input.

16. Aug 31, 2016 at 10:05 PM
    BCfishTaco

BCfishTaco Active Member

Member:
    Beautiful BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    2019 DBL TRD Sport Silver
    So I'm a noob so please correct me if I'm wrong... but the 2nd gens are 10 years old with little to no changes to the drive train. Why would they not put the 15s on the flash TSB? Or is there a significant enough of a change to the ECU programming to make the flash not doable?

FYI, I called today to inquire about it and the service tech said that there's no TSB in the dealer to Yota system for the spark knock/ping on the 15s. So we'll see what they say at my next service when they hear it.

17. Sep 1, 2016 at 10:23 AM
    f02h01

f02h01 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 DBL Cab v6 TRD 4x4
    Your guess is as good as mine Taco.

18. Sep 1, 2016 at 1:41 PM
    CharlesCity

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC Off Road
    Yes, acknowledging legitimate problems can get pricy for them..........

I think of it like this. As the piston is traveling up on the compression stroke the spark plug fires to early before Top Dead Center. At a lower rpm/higher engine load this causes spark knock because the combustion force is pressing against the piston as it is still traveling upward. The momentum of the rotating assembly crank/rods/pistons/drivetrain vs. combustion pressing in the total opposite direction=spark knock. A properly engineered/written software can retard the timing the appropriate amount to eliminate this. On a side note, as the engine speeds up in rpm the timing can be a little more advanced because the piston speed is higher allowing the burn to take place at a better time in the cycle to support forward movement of the rotating assembly.

That's what my brain tells me is happening anyways.

Ever check out the MAP ECU3 piggyback? I have been reading about this and it would allow us to adjust our own ignition timing and much much more. I'm going to see what the dealer says......

19. Sep 1, 2016 at 2:25 PM
    CharlesCity

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC Off Road
    I know what you mean about a $40k truck. It was hard spending the $32k for this one. In 2008 I bought a new F-150 XLT 4x4 for $24,800 and it's 3 times the truck of a 2017 Taco whatever model.....sorry venting.
    GWNF F150.jpg
    WIMG_0038.jpg First pic with stock tires and my Hooters girl girlfriend driving:)

Second pics is with 285/70R17 upgraded tires and had also upgraded Hooters Girl to my wife at that point.

asuchemist likes this.
  20. Sep 1, 2016 at 3:15 PM
    f02h01

f02h01 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 DBL Cab v6 TRD 4x4
    Your description of what is taking place sounds dead on to me.
    This entire ordeal amazes me how Toyota is admitting there's a problem, " spark knock " and they just act like oh well, tough shit for the consumer !

Products Discussed in

To Top